starting strength gym
Page 4 of 479 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Moving_Target View Post
    I almost never want to comment on anyone's technique since I don't think I'm all that qualified but here goes anyway:

It doesn't look like you're hitting mid-thigh (aka bar is a little out in front of you) on the jump. The start is good, the rack is good too (no arm pull as far as I can see), I'm just unsure of the jump point...looks around knee height and you're not grazing your mid-thigh at the jump.
    Thanks for looking. Good point, well taken. You're right. I'm not hitting mid thigh. I will definitely change that Monday :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

Default Monday, 09/26/11

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    You're right. I'm not hitting mid thigh. I will definitely change that Monday :-)
    So is the bar actually suppose to be in contact with the mid thigh? I tried today, and got the bar closer, but it didn't actually touch my leg on the way up.

---------------------------------

Madcow Intermediate Week 6

I took my failure to get 255x5 on the bench press today particularly hard. Words can't express my disappointment. I don't know why I get so upset about a failure on the bench vs. any other lift. Also, the power rack in my gym really doesn't work for the bench, so I have a hard time pushing it. I've been stuck under the bar before. It's not that big of a deal, but it discourages me from pushing for that last rep. I can always lift my butt off the bench to get it, which I did today. Very disappointing.

Squat (PR)
    155x5, 195x5, 235x5, 270x5, 310x5
    I'm also very unhappy with my technique on these. This will be corrected.

Bench (STALL)
    130x5, 160x5, 190x5, 225x5, 255x3, 255x1 (because I was pissed)

Power Clean
    70x5, 90x5, 105x5, 125x5, 140x5

Weighted Hypers
    35x15x2

Weighted Sit-ups
    10x12x2, 35x12x2
    Last edited by sking1001; 09-28-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: indicated stall

So is the bar actually suppose to be in contact with the mid thigh? I tried today, and got the bar closer, but it didn't actually touch my leg on the way up.

---------------------------------
    <snip>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXcS0Xp1aE

A link to one of Rip's vids to illustrate. The last place the bar touches before it is received in the rack position is approx. mid-thigh (more or less). And no, I have terrible technique
    so all I can do is repeat what the knowledgeable people say.

I've been unhappy with my squat technique (aka it's shit) and have been playing with my foot spacing and trying to not sit back quite as much. My back and knees seems to agree with my changes.
    Last edited by Moving_Target; 09-26-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moving_Target View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXcS0Xp1aE

A link to one of Rip's vids to illustrate. The last place the bar touches before it is received in the rack position is approx. mid-thigh (more or less). And no, I have terrible technique
    so all I can do is repeat what the knowledgeable people say.

I've been unhappy with my squat technique (aka it's shit) and have been playing with my foot spacing and trying to not sit back quite as much. My back and knees seems to agree with my changes.
    I've seen that before but wasn't thinking about the bar actually touching my legs. Today, I believe I was aiming too low, so that helps. Thanks. I'm a little afraid of nailing myself in the crotch.

On your squats, I would get a TUBOW if I were you. Made a huge difference for me.

I've seen that before but wasn't thinking about the bar actually touching my legs. Today, I believe I was aiming too low, so that helps. Thanks. I'm a little afraid of nailing myself in the crotch.

On your squats, I would get a TUBOW if I were you. Made a huge difference for me.
    Hmm, might not be a bad idea (thanks for the reminder) to see where my knees are going since I train alone. I have a TUPOSP (terribly useful piece of sewer pipe), I can substitute for the TUBOW.

ps: If you're worried about the "boys", try wearing a TUFJP (terribly useful family jewels protector). ;-)

Default Wednesday, 09/28/11

I just feel like going to bed now. Tough session. I feel very good about it, because there is no question that I gave it all that I had.

The last rep on the press working set (PR) was just sheer determination, because I absolutely hate stalling on Madcow. I have this 12 week goal, and a stall sets me back a week. I'm already behind a week on the bench.

Squat (light)
    155x5, 195x5, 235x5x2

Press (PR)
    100x5, 120x5, 140x5, 160x5

Deadlift (PR)
    240x5, 290x5, 335x5, 385x5

Sit-ups
    3x10

Pull-ups
    3x10
    I'm not sure if I should keep doing these. I had a bad case of tendinitis on the medial aspect of my elbow earlier this year that has more or less healed. It has come back in a mild form, and pull-ups seems to aggravate it. I wear a support for it. It says it's for tennis elbow, whereas I have golfer's elbow, but it seems to help. However, I don't want to make it worse. While I'm whining, I also have a nagging shoulder pain that seems to be aggravated with pull-ups as well. Maybe I'll just switch to chin-ups...

Default Friday, 09/30/11

Happy with the squat PR but extremely frustrated with bench and power cleans. My frustration level was so high after bench that I was exhausted for power cleans. Frustration level elevated with my technique on power cleans. Didn't bother with beach work today. Session was over 2 hours as it was.

Squat (PR) - Video
    155x5, 195x5, 235x5, 270x5, 320x3, 235x8

Bench
    125x5, 155x5, 190x5, 220x5, 255x3, 190x8
    Damn it all to hell. I train alone so in trying to not lose tightness on my working set, I was too close to the pins and hit the fuckers on the way up on the first rep. I got it up, but had to re-adjust for the 2nd and 3rd reps. I'm sure that messed me up, but damnit, I am repeating last Friday's weight and it was hard as hell. On the 3rd rep, I had to lift my butt way off the bench at the bottom. 5 seems impossible for Monday...shit, shit, shit, shit, SHIT!

Okay, I'm usually not like this, potty mouth and all, but I'm really frustrated. I do have some video if one of my benching heroes like Callador or Oldster would like to take a look. Any tips at all to get my pussy bench up would be greatly appreciated.

Power Clean - Embarrassing Video
    70x5, 90x5, 105x5, 125x5, 145x3, 105x8
    Keep in mind that I am more utterly exhausted than I have ever been at start of power cleans. I'm trying to make contact with my legs on the way up, and it's really messing me up. I look at videos of Pyrros Dimas, and he makes contact at the hip crease. Well, that isn't going so well either. I kind of skimmed the Power Clean section in the book, so I guess it's my own damn fault, but I've been working on this for awhile by watching a lot of video. I've taken still shots of the start of the second pull from my video today. I think I need to get some help in the technique forum.

I will take a look at the vid when you have a chance to post it.

Going solo with heavy weight is tough. You have to set up closer to the uprights to unrack it yourself, but then you can hit the pins. I found that setting up in a power rack made it a little easier. I could set the hooks real high to accomodate my long monkey arms. There aren't any extra pins to hit on the way up either.

If you could, try to get a spotter. If you get a good hand-off, you will burn a lot less energy. You can stay a little tighter too with a good hand-off as well. If you can't, the power rack seems like the best setup solo. Set the pins at near the top of your ROM.

Either way, don't beat yourself up too much. You are kicking ass and taking names at this point! :-)

Thank you, Callador. I truly appreciate the help. I'll put up the video when I get back in town. The work set is a little embarrassing, so I didn't upload it right away.

If you look at my squat video, you will see the only "power cage" we have in the gym. The "hooks" are welded up the entire vertical at various heights. I've tried to bench there before, but the safety support only has 3 heights. The top is too high, and the middle is too low. Now, there is a half rack that I benched in a long time ago, so I'll check that one out again.

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I just really expected a repeat of the same weight as last Friday to be easier.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay, here are the videos from Friday's benching. The work set is pretty pathetic, but I included my 4th set at 220 just to show what my form is normally like. I hope the camera angle that I was able to come up with is okay.

220x5:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOY4euO5dfQ

255x3 (with an interruption between reps 1 and 2):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWKfVlc-Uto

Page 4 of 479 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast