starting strength gym
Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob's shiny new Geezling (mostly TM) log. In Brooklyn.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I've felt a "pulling" sensation on calves (mostly right calf). It usually happens on the last warm-up when I put on the wraps. It goes away with a good 30 seconds of static calf stretching. I have no idea what you felt is the same thing I felt, but you can try it next time.
    This was more like a sharp grab. I recall having a similar thing happen last summer. It was a heavy-ish work set and I popped forward at the bottom (a lot more than last night) and it 'grabbed' badly. The good thing is I don't think it set me back too much. I'm thinking mild strain.

This exposes a long fault in my squat that I have worked on diligently but have not completely erased. It's a fault that I really can't afford to express on a super heavy day.

Today the lower calf is tight, but I'm walking fairly well and and icing right. I hope lots of ice and then maybe some massage and static stretching will have me ready for volume day Monday/Tuesday.

Thanks for the input on the bench Mac-- I appreciate it.

Default Volume Squat and Bench

Squat: 280x5x4
    Not enough sleep last night... Calf strain from Friday was OK-- it hurt a little bit but got better as I went.

Bench: 190x5, 190x4, 185x5, 185x5
    Missed the 5th rep of the second set and decided to lower the weight to get the volume.

I wasn't planning on it, but I ended up cutting back a set as I was feeling fairly burnt. At this point a little less stress probably is a good idea.

A little rough tonight, but fun working out with the linear progression class (they do M-W-F and the intermediates are Sun-Tues-Thur). Hopefully I can get some good recovery this week and perform well on my last Intensity Thursday or Friday.

Then I start to taper for the meet. Ordered the singlet today.

What's your weight now? Are you planning on lifting in the 181's?

Yeah, I'm hovering around 181-183.

Default Recovery Day

Changing up my program a tad bit the last 3 week before the meet to have a more traditional setup. I've been squatting twice a week and doing extra pulling, so I'm going to a straight M-W-F Volume/Recovery/Intensity setup.

So today was my first volume day. Did a bunch of warming up and active recovery type stuff. I've been working on trying to lengthen my right psoas which pulls me rotates my lower back... Anyway, wanted to make this short so just squatted and pressed.

Squat: 205x3, 225x3 and 245x3
    Press: 135x5x3

Tweaked my calf again squatting a touch. Icing now.

oh damn.

Default Intensity Day: Squat - Bench- Haltings

This workout goes to show you that technique is kind of important when you are in PR territory...

Squat: 335x3
    Wanted five even though I only got 3@330. I did not intend to switch to triples. Last week I had extraneous circumstances-- an injury, albeit minor, but an injury on the 3rd rep.

This week the excuse is just horrible, horrible form. Not even sure what happened on the first rep (someone said I got loose), but I bounced out of the hole and then came to a screeching stop and had to grind it out. The 2nd rep I came forward and ground the bar back over my feet and up. So by the 3rd rep I was toast and good morning-ed the shit of the rep and racked it.

Who knows, maybe this is beyond my ability and strength at this juncture, but I'd like to think that if I had got 3 solid reps form-wise, I would have gotten 5. I'm tempted to re-attempt, but my taper starts this week.

Bench: 215x1F (failed on 2nd rep)
    This matches my 1RM PR, but I was going for a triple. Not even close.
    The warm-ups felt wonky and I'm not sure I had my standard hand width. I had a bar with non-standard knurling. I should have switched bars. No excuses though- my bench tonight sucked.

Haltings: 275x8
    These are tough, hopefully they will help my DL. Grip strength felt better. Did 5 w/ OH.

Hate to write such a negative post chock full of should-haves, but it was one of those kind of nights. I reminded myself that I need to remain focused on the journey and not just the end-goals. It's hard to not set expectations and then be disappointed when they aren't reached, but I enjoy lifting heavy things and I like going to the gym and working out, so the process itself is rewarding. I just want some legit PR's too!

As I mentioned, I start my taper program as laid out by Lascek this week. I hit heavy singles with queues for my intensity day Friday, so this marks the end of my fives and triples.

3 weeks from today is the meet. Singlet has shipped.

Keep at it my friend. You are at the weights that I really started to struggle with as well. It was disheartening to me, thus the programming change. You have a solid approach, don't be afraid to reset back to 330 and get those 5 reps...I know you are in a taper now, so maybe not pertinent. For me, getting only 3 reps and then moving on because of ______, played with my psyche...did I really get it? Should I have moved on? Am I ready? These little sticking points have to be worked through, and the victory is so glorious when we do. They are all just steps on the road to 405.

Excited for you at your first meet. I'm moving to NC this week, but will be keeping tabs on my favorite logs.

Mac, thanks for the encouragement-- I definitely needed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    For me, getting only 3 reps and then moving on because of ______, played with my psyche...did I really get it? Should I have moved on? Am I ready?
    ^^This! I was nervous as hell yesterday. Funny how 5 pounds and 2 reps totally fucks with your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Excited for you at your first meet. I'm moving to NC this week, but will be keeping tabs on my favorite logs.
    Thanks man! Good luck with your move!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    3 weeks from today is the meet. Singlet has shipped.
    Will this be your first meet?

Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast