starting strength gym
Page 105 of 201 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2006

Thread: Kyle's PL log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Or maybe tonsillitis. Or chickenpox.

In other news, I had a 2 oz pour of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year on Saturday. It was good, but I'm glad I wasn't the one who paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Or maybe tonsillitis. Or chickenpox.

In other news, I had a 2 oz pour of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year on Saturday. It was good, but I'm glad I wasn't the one who paid for it.
    Last week at a business dinner, I had the Pappy flight. 2 ounces each of Pappy 17, 20, and 23. I like Pappy 20 the best.

BTW, I know you had some discussion on federations going on, and I must say that I was pretty impressed with the USPA folks at my last meet. They are definitely legitimate. Good judging and very well organized. No sky high squats.

Another question - what are you doing for your diet? Are you measuring macros or just following general guidelines of high protein/medium carb/low fat?

Get well soon. I was sick this week too and it's plain annoying.

Cool. I think you must be thinking Pappy 15, 20, and 23. As far as I know, there is no 17, but I've been wrong before and I will be again. I wanted to try the 15, but they were out of it. I had read that the 20 is better than the 23, as the 23 starts to taste too much like the barrel. The 20 was sweet with a lot of caramel corn going on for me, but not much of the "old man notes" that I like in some bourbons, like oak, leather, and tobacco. Still, it was probably the second best bourbon I've had. I liked the 2013 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon better.

Good to know about the USPA meet. I assume the platform was solid. I know you said in your log that they used a deadlift bar, and I was wondering whether they do so at all meets. Did you get to meet Goggins?

My diet...I hope Jordan doesn't see this. I think most would be amazed that I've been able to lose weight and get stronger on so few calories, but I'll lay out exactly what I've been doing for the last 3 months or so:

Training days (Tues, Wed, Fri)
    Meal 1 (7am). 50 g whey protein, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp almond butter
    Meal 2 (11am). 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 1 apple
    Meal 3 (2pm). ½ cup oats (measured before cooking), 1 tbsp almond butter
    Train from 4-6:30
    Meal 4 (7pm). 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup white rice, green salad with ½ cup raspberries and vinegar

______

Non-Training Days (Sun, Mon, Thurs)
    Meal 2 (11am). 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli
    Meal 3 (4pm). 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt, 1 apple
    Meal 4 (7pm). 12 oz steak, 1 cup brown rice, green salad with ½ cup raspberries and vinegar

Saturday is a cheat day. I do whatever I want, which is usually something like: Breakfast at 8am consisting of 4 eggs, 4 pieces of bacon, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with butter. Lunch at noon, burger and fries or barbeque. Dinner at 6-7pm, sushi or a nice restaurant where I can get a good steak. I eat a lot at this meal. I also have about 8-10 beers over the course of an 8 hr period from 2pm-10pm.

Cool. I think you must be thinking Pappy 15, 20, and 23. As far as I know, there is no 17, but I've been wrong before and I will be again. I wanted to try the 15, but they were out of it. I had read that the 20 is better than the 23, as the 23 starts to taste too much like the barrel. The 20 was sweet with a lot of caramel corn going on for me, but not much of the "old man notes" that I like in some bourbons, like oak, leather, and tobacco. Still, it was probably the second best bourbon I've had. I liked the 2013 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon better.
    You are right and you do know your bourbon. Generally the most "readily available" pappy are the 15, 20 and the 23. This was a rare export only (for Japan) 17. Apparently they made a 16 and a 17 for Japan and some other countries, for export only. It was priced the same as the 20, and but wasn't as sweet. 2013 Old Forester is a good one and I recently bought a bottle. My favorites are William Larue Weller (uncut/unfiltered) and Eagle rare 17. Also, my regular go-to bourbon is Elmer T. Lee. You should try it if you haven't. Best bourbon $37 can buy.

Good to know about the USPA meet. I assume the platform was solid. I know you said in your log that they used a deadlift bar, and I was wondering whether they do so at all meets. Did you get to meet Goggins?
    Yes, I did. He is great and organized a great meet. I actually misplaced my knee wraps recently and he arranged one for me, a day before the meet. Darren Jackson spoke to Steve and saved the day for me.

My diet...I hope Jordan doesn't see this. I think most would be amazed that I've been able to lose weight and get stronger on so few calories, but I'll lay out exactly what I've been doing for the last 3 months or so:

Training days (Tues, Wed, Fri)
    Meal 2 (11am). 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 1 apple
    Meal 3 (2pm). ½ cup oats (measured before cooking), 1 tbsp almond butter
    Train from 4-6:30
    Meal 4 (7pm). 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup white rice, green salad with ½ cup raspberries and vinegar

______

Non-Training Days (Sun, Mon, Thurs)
    Meal 2 (11am). 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli
    Meal 3 (4pm). 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt, 1 apple
    Meal 4 (7pm). 12 oz steak, 1 cup brown rice, green salad with ½ cup raspberries and vinegar

Saturday is a cheat day. I do whatever I want, which is usually something like: Breakfast at 8am consisting of 4 eggs, 4 pieces of bacon, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with butter. Lunch at noon, burger and fries or barbeque. Dinner at 6-7pm, sushi or a nice restaurant where I can get a good steak. I eat a lot at this meal. I also have about 8-10 beers over the course of an 8 hr period from 2pm-10pm.
    I'm sure you are aware of this, but did some back of the envelope math on your meal plan, and it seems like you are getting about 150g/35g/150g of carbs/fat/protein on your training days. A little more fat and protein and little carbs on your non-training days. I guess your rapid weight loss makes sense now. I think cheat days are helping a little bit. All that being said, you just PRed on your deadlift, so it's definitely working. I think you will slowly be able to add back some calories, more protein maybe. Are planning on adding more calories anytime soon?
    Last edited by Randeep Khaund; 12-15-2014 at 06:13 PM.

I didn't know that about the 17 year Pappy export. We've probably got similar tastes, as Elmer T. Lee is my standby (when it's available). I've had the William Larue Weller from the Antique Collection, and it was very good, although at around 130 proof, the alcohol was a little too strong for me. But I like the higher rye in Elmer T. Lee. I also had a Four Roses Single Barrel, Barrel Strength recently that was really good, probably about as solid as a $50 bottle gets (and I don't like Four Roses Small Batch).

I'm definitely increasing calories, like, starting yesterday. I want to set some guidelines for myself, such as eat at least 4 meals per day, eat clean foods 6 days/week, hit at least 220 protein/250 carbs/60 fat grams per day, etc, but I don't want to pre-prep all my food anymore. I'm pretty sick of it, and I'm as lean as I wanted to get when I started all of this anyway.

Let me know when your next meet is. If we can find one in the area, I'll probably be down for it.

I didn't know that about the 17 year Pappy export. We've probably got similar tastes, as Elmer T. Lee is my standby (when it's available). I've had the William Larue Weller from the Antique Collection, and it was very good, although at around 130 proof, the alcohol was a little too strong for me. But I like the higher rye in Elmer T. Lee. I also had a Four Roses Single Barrel, Barrel Strength recently that was really good, probably about as solid as a $50 bottle gets (and I don't like Four Roses Small Batch).

I'm definitely increasing calories, like, starting yesterday. I want to set some guidelines for myself, such as eat at least 4 meals per day, eat clean foods 6 days/week, hit at least 220 protein/250 carbs/60 fat grams per day, etc, but I don't want to pre-prep all my food anymore. I'm pretty sick of it, and I'm as lean as I wanted to get when I started all of this anyway.

Let me know when your next meet is. If we can find one in the area, I'll probably be down for it.
    It seems we have similar taste. Since you mentioned four roses, I realized I left off one of the best bourbons I've ever had. It was just one 2 oz. drink - four roses 125th anniversary edition. I think you are within a weeks worth of cutting and dehydration tricks away from making the 198lbs weight class. Meal prep sucks! I don't do it, I do the whole macro tracking thing with high carb and low carb days, and it's been working. I think since you have decided to set some guidelines, it will work well.

I'm looking at meets in the area right now, and will let you know. There is a USAPL meeti in Savannah in Feb.

Yeah, I could make 198 right now.

I think there's also a USPA meet in Northport, AL at the end of Feb. That would be a pretty easy drive.

Yeah, I could make 198 right now.

I think there's also a USPA meet in Northport, AL at the end of Feb. That would be a pretty easy drive.
    Interesting. Let me look into it.

Thanks for laying out your diet. A lot of diets work, and what it really comes down to is caloric deficit. I believe that if Jordan were to see this, he would totally agree that the most important thing is to do something you can consistently comply with. I like the simplicity of what you are doing, and clearly your performance is not suffering. Thumbs up!

Hope you get over your chicken pox soon lol..

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, Steve. I'm pretty much well except for the runs caused by the amoxicillin.

12/17
    Deadlift 621x2 PR, RPE 9, video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Bench 335x2,2,2

Pullups 5x10

--Happy with pulls given the recent sickness. Didn't do any back off work because I will have to squat heavy in 2 days and am near the end of the training cycle. I didn't pull yesterday because I still felt pretty shitty, so I had to combine pulls and bench/upper today.