starting strength gym
Page 61 of 201 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle's PL log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    8/9 Squat deload and press

Squat 405x1, 405x1, 435x1, 455x1, 455x1 (455 was ok, technically felt good, but I prob needed the deload. I felt like a pussy for taking a deload.)

Press 215x2 (wanted 3, didn't try 3rd, wouldn't have gone today)

Push press 225x5, 235x5 (these felt very good today)

Pullups x 15,10,10

8/12
    Deadlift 560x4 (this was the goal but was harder than I would've liked. I had a huge blister on my left hand that popped open during the set and made grip tough)

Sumo deadlift 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 475x6 (RPE 8.5)

Planks - 2 sets of 30 sec with 90 lbs on my back.

--Ok day.

Dat's a good pull bro. You think a 635 triple would be good for 700? Just trying to figure out how this should play out. Signed up for a SPF meet in October. Gonna get my first experience with a DL bar. I'll probably pull less.

Thanks, Jordan. 635x3 would prob be in the ballpark.

Which meet are you doing in October? I doubt you'll pull less. I only pull on a DL bar in competition and I probably get a little 10 lb boost out of it. The first time I used one wasn't odd at all. I don't think it makes as big a difference as some people think unless you're pulling something ridiculously heavy. The whip at the top can make the lockout a little shaky.

My local gym holds an SPF meet every Spring and Fall and since I'm not doing the Arnold I figured I would finally just do a local meet down the street and keep it low key.

I'll practice on the DL bar and see what I think. I told my buddy today "Wait until you see how round my back will be for the 700lb pull."

Yes, we both pull with back angles that can't be healthy...

I know I can get the rest of my body strong enough to pull 700. I'm just worried about my grip holding up. There's nothing I can do to strengthen it at this point beyond simply holding on to heavier and heavier pulls.

The difference in grip on a well-knurled Texas DL bar is just as important as the whip. So I'd imagine you'd be able to hold onto a lot more in a meet than with the shitty YMCA bars you train on.

I have 1RM approximations for about ~20 people before and after we switched to the DL bar for our 531 worksets and the average difference was like 28lbs. That might be more as you get crazy heavy. I think it matters most for sumo pullers who are really good at sumo pulling.

Yes, the knurl on the thing is the main benefit for me. I've seen at least one guy get less with one (my old training partner who pulled 785, was phenomenally fast off the floor, and had monkey hands) and another guy get 40 lbs (crazy weak off the floor compared to his mid and top range strength, flex of the bar really helped him get the pull started). I'm fast off the floor, so I don't think the flex of the bar helps me that much. But the knurl certainly helps.

8/14

Bench (paused) 315x1, 325x1, 335x1 (one rep left in the tank, finally a bench day where stuff felt right)

Back off bench (not paused) 245x8,8

Press 155x5,5,10

Pullups bw+45x6,6,6

Cable row 3x10

--Very good day. Had to move my workouts around some this week due to a dental appt and weekend travel. Tomorrow will be squats. I think I have 2 more weeks of softball as well. Then stuff should normalize and I'll start looking for a competition in the winter.

8/15

I squatted today. It went ok. Then I popped my right hamstring running. This is not the same one I pulled 2 months ago. It's down close to my knee and is likely to keep me from pulling for a while. But I think squatting will be fine. So, I'm going to do what any logical person would do: take it easy on deadlift next week since pulling is scheduled to be light anyway. And if in two weeks I can't pull heavy as planned, run Smolov for squats.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    8/15

I squatted today. It went ok. Then I popped my right hamstring running.
    This is why I'm not running from anybody.