starting strength gym
Page 7 of 201 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle's PL log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Great stuff Kyle. Awesome deadlift!!!

You both did great! Keep it up.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the compliments.

Meet thoughts: I come primarily from a strongman background. I have done about 15 strongman comps, but this was only my 2nd full powerlifting meet. My first one was 10 years ago when I was 20, and I was competing equipped. I can't remember that far back, so you might as well say this was my first full powerlifting meet. Weight cut went fine. Didn't really want to do the meet, like normal.

Fortunately my girlfriend was doing the meet, and since she already had paid her entry I knew I had to show up lol. We arrived at the meet site and I still didn't feel like competing. Once I warmed up to 340 on the squat, however, I realized I actually was feeling good and the day might not suck. I won't go through all my attempts, but I obviously left a little in the tank on the 460 squat. I chalk this up to usually squatting with a mild case of DT's in training. I didn't know how easy squatting completely healthy and stone cold sober would be, so I didn't know I likely would have been capable of 470. On the bench, I just wasn't strong enough for 340. Gave it my best ride. Just wasn't there.

Had I hit my 340 bench attempt, I would have needed only a 600 pull for a 1400 lb total, which was my ultimate goal. Since I hit only 330, I knew I needed 610 for 1400. So I made the decision after my 550 opening deadlift to jump to 610. I'm glad I did. After making that lift, I debated whether to go 620 or 625. I chose 625 and it was hard as fuck, one of the hardest lifts I've ever done. I locked it out for a brief instant and got a sort of "tie goes to the runner" call, I think. The pull had taken me so long to complete that my left hand was starting to slip, but I tried to hide it as best I could. I would have been pleased with just the 1400 lb total, so the 1415 was icing on the cake.

Finally, I would like to say that, although I know the SPF gets shitted on a lot, it's a very fun organization in which to compete. Everyone there wants you to succeed, every meet has top notch equipment, and it's nice not to be around a bunch of anal retentive people looking to fail your lifts because you raised your head off the bench or for other dumb shit. They put on the most meets in my area and I enjoy lifting with them. Having gotten my first raw full meet under my belt now, I'd like to do one full meet a year. I probably will do a deadlift only meet also 1x/year. Next on my agenda is to lose 10-12 lbs so I can make 181 again.
    Last edited by KyleMask; 08-16-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Finally, I would like to say that, although I know the SPF gets shitted on a lot, it's a very fun organization in which to compete. Everyone there wants you to succeed, every meet has top notch equipment, and it's nice not to be around a bunch of anal retentive people looking to fail your lifts because you raised your head off the bench or for other dumb shit. They put on the most meets in my area and I enjoy lifting with them.
    I have to echo this. We had the exact same experience last week at an SPF meet near my place.

And can anybody identify that judge on the left side of the screen during squats and deadlifts in my video? One of the all-time greats.

Much like this guy I ran across at my local YMCA:

bill and kyle.jpg
    Last edited by KyleMask; 05-20-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Be scary competing against you at 181! Strong stuff, dude.

Great story, and fantastic triumph...congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Be scary competing against you at 181! Strong stuff, dude.

Great story, and fantastic triumph...congratulations!
    You'll whoop my ass soon, man. I am getting old and don't think I have much progress left to make without gaining bunches of weight.

1st workout back since the meet

5/26

Paused Front Squat up to 315x2, then 135 2x5
    Bench 275 3x5
    Chest supported machine rows 3x10
    Abs 3x10
    1 hr of tennis

--Took it pretty easy on everything except the paused front squats, which I think were a PR for a double.

starting strength coach development program
    5/29 (1st real squat workout back since the meet)

Squat 365x5,5,8 (rep PR on last set, probably left 2 in the tank; but it was a rep PR, so no sense in blowing my load for the week)
    Press 185 3x5 (1st time doing this in a while. Felt fairly strong considering)
    Pullups bwx5, bw+30x5,5,6 (nothing hard here. again, just kind of easing into it)

--Pretty good day. The next two weeks are going to be hectic. I'm moving, and then I'm going to Cinci to watch some baseball games. In 3 weeks I hope to be on my regular workout schedule. I can post my programming plan if anybody cares to take a look. If not, I won't, cuz that's just mo fuckin work for me.

Page 7 of 201 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast