Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    pseudo-intensity day today.
    Pseudo? Looked pretty real to me!

As usual, I run out of gas on the 5th rep even when the first four are strong so it was a little slower, but overall a good heavy 5 rep set that was absolutely not a 5RM.
    Good description. Your 5th was still pretty damn smooth though. It slowed, but didn't grind. Very solid and there seems to be plenty of room left. Besides, your 5th looked better than my 3rd today at 130 pounds lighter!

I'm no John Petrizzo, so didn't go for 17 reps on this, but was solid with 5. Good bar speed even on the 5th rep.
    I mean really. None of us are except Mr. Petrizzo himself. I guess if you got it, you gotta flaunt it. But anyway, that was a nice looking set. Should you open your hips more tat the top? I don't know, honest question there...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Should you open your hips more tat the top? I don't know, honest question there...
    I locked them all out, but didn't hold them there. I have thought about doing a more definitive, ~half second hold at lockout but haven't done so yet. I don't really have any lockout problems with my pulls; generally, if I can get it past the first few inches off the ground, I can finish it. So it's not a weak point, and since my hook grip is significantly weaker than my alternate grip, not holding the extra half second allows me to use the hook for all 5 reps.

If lockout gets to be a problem, I may change this, but since I do rack pulls regularly with an alternate grip (and will strap once I need to), with a full definitive lockout, I think doing my regular pulling like this is fine.

Note Jordan doing the same weight (515x5) back in June does the same thing, though he did hold the last one for that extra half second.

Back to the four day splitski today.

Bench Press
    340x5
    Notes:
    Last rep got slow, but was a no-doubter. Pretty good after a full week off of bench. I'll hit 345 next week before moving to triples on ID.

Press
    190x5x5
    Notes:
    3-4 mins between sets. A good, solid 5x5. Challenging but not grinding. Did the second set entirely Press 2.0, instead of my usual hybrid of first and last rep done 2.0 and middle three done with the stretch reflex.

Lat Pulldowns
    160x10, 180x10x2
    Notes:
    Didn't try chins, want to see how shoulder reacts to re-introduction of bench press first. Felt fine during the set and afterwards, thus far.

Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-23-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Tweaked my back somehow during volume squats today. I don't yet know how bad it is. It seems minor, but things have seemed minor before and stuck around for months. I should have a better sense tomorrow morning when I wake up, though.

I don't know when or why it happened. I didn't feel anything pop or give at any point. The first I remember definitively feeling it was after my 5th/final set of squats, it was uncomfortable bending put the plates away. It may have happened earlier but I didn't notice because the adrenalin and focus for squatting was still locked in. Once that was over and I let myself relax a bit, maybe I noticed then. Or maybe it happened on the last rep of the last set, I really don't know. I don't think the video shows anything you can point to and say "yup, that was it right there."

It's bothering me in flexion and overextension, feels like it's right inside my spine in the lumbar and lowest part of the thoracic. Nothing radiating anywhere, and it's mild pain right now. 1/10 normally, and about 3 or 4/10 if I go into flexion. But I can tell it's not something I can, or should, train through. I don't think I'd be able to brace very hard if it came down to it.

Very frustrating, especially 8 weeks out from a meet I've been planning on all year. I really do seem to be especially injury prone and I'm fucking sick of it. I joke about being lucky if I get 7 out of 12 months in an average year to actually train and make progress, but it's true. Not that I'm actually injured for 5 mos, but it always takes some time when I start back up again to re-attain where I was before, and then progress again from there.

It's not so much that I mind seeing people pass me by, as it is knowing what my potential is but not being able to reach it because I am so prone to tweaks. It's not a consistent pattern, either, that I can do something to avoid. I've never ever in my life tweaked my back while squatting before. It just happened today, for no reason I could tell at the time and no clear reason on the video. Only one of the injuries was something I could have foreseen and possibly done anything to prevent. The rest are as random as can be. Fuck.

Squat
    410x5x5 - except I did 6 on the third set because I lost count and didn't realize it
    Notes: Other than tweaking my back, not bad. Felt pretty solid overall.

Power Cleans
    135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x2
    Notes: I didn't think I tweaked my back yet at this point, I felt more like it was just back fatigue and adjusting to squatting volume while still recovering from DLs on Friday. So I started doing cleans. They felt off and weird from the get-go, mostly in the bottom position and right off the floor. 225 is when I really started not liking how things were feeling so I stopped after 2 reps.

C2 Erg
    30s Row/90s Rest x 5
    Didn't push these because of my back. Did all 5 around 1:40 pace.

Squat Vid:
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-24-2013 at 07:23 PM.

1. That sucks. 2. Loading up on ibuprofen before going to sleep once helped my back practically overnight when I had similar problems... Also, sleeping on my back. If you are not naturally a back sleeper (I'm not), it helps to immobilize yourself somehow. I put a bolster under my knees, which keeps me from turning on to my side. It also puts the spine into a more neutral curve.

Hope you get better soon!

Hopefully this is just a minor bump in the road, Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Hopefully this is just a minor bump in the road, Wolf.
    I really hope so. But I'm not sure. We'll just have to wait to find out.

If it turns out that it throws off my training for a longer period of time, you've gotta step up and hit 1550 at InsurrecXtion. No pressure though, Petreeeezo.

I really hope so. But I'm not sure. We'll just have to wait to find out.

If it turns out that it throws off my training for a longer period of time, you've gotta step up and hit 1550 at InsurrecXtion. No pressure though, Petreeeezo.
    This really made me laugh. I hope you are feeling better today!

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    This really made me laugh. I hope you are feeling better today!
    Thanks JP. I am glad to report that I woke up without it feeling a lot worse, which is what I expected and was worried about. It has gotten slightly better over the course of the day. Intensity Squats and Pulls Friday are out of the question, but if I'm lucky I may be able to resume next week. I also may not be, it's too early to tell, but at least I know it's not serious and shouldn't be more than a matter of weeks.

Still very inconvenient timing, but it could have been worse.

Putting on socks really sucks right now though.

starting strength coach development program
    The Good:
    1. I was able, much to my pleasant surprise, to complete my entire upper body workout today as scheduled without any pain or discomfort whatsoever.
    2. Things are going well with my new training partner, Ryan. Ryan is a "tier 4 coach" at Equinox who I met about 3-4 years ago when I still worked there; he asked me last week if he could lift with me. We've trained together a few times now. He's a good guy, he's got his head out of his ass, and wants to get stronger. He just bought his first pair of lifting shoes and is going to the Strong First barbell course next month. I am already indoctrinating him in the ways of SS.
    3. My back feels better after the workout than it did before.

The Bad:
    1. I tried squatting with the empty bar, and couldn't make it past about 3/4 depth before my back started hurting, not in a good way. Not ready for this yet. I stopped after two reps. I'll try again tomorrow.
    2. I haven't yet figured out how to freeze time, so I won't get any extra weeks to train for the meet. I'm guessing I can start squatting again next week, but will probably still be light.

Now, today's lifting.

Press
    216x5
    Notes:
    Very happy I could do these without feeling my back at all. 216 was a little harder than I felt it should be, probably because I was a bit tentative with my hip reach due to worrying about my back, but the 5th rep wasn't an all out grind, just a little slow. Ryan pressed up to 135x5.

Bench Press
    305x5x5
    Notes:
    Easy. Really shockingly easy. I was basically throwing these up into the air. Also good that the arch was fine on my back. Ryan benched 205x5x5, and it was also easy for him. He gave me a 5RM estimate of 225-230, so this seemed a reasonable place to start. He wasn't using the stretch reflex much (though I had that fixed by the time he was done), so his actual 5RM is probably more like 240.

Lat Chin-Downs
    180x12, 195x10x2, 210x8
    Notes: Nothing to report here.