starting strength gym
Page 106 of 443 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Pre-injury planned workout was 455 for two triples in the squat and 565x5 rack pull. Clearly that wasn't happening. Went to the gym not knowing what to expect.

Tried to squat empty bar, got a couple inches deeper than yesterday before the pain set in. Not quite below parallel, but close. Then I tried rack pulls. They were fine, this is what I did:

Rack Pull
    From just above knee: 45x5, 95x5
    From bottom of kneecap: 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 255x5, 285x5, 315x5, 345x5, 365x5
    Notes: Pleasantly surprised that these felt fine through 365. Didn't go past there. Tried practicing using my straps, which I've never used before because I've never had to. So when I get to the point I need them, I am already somewhat familiar with them. I figure at some point -maybe mid 600's for 5 in the rack pull? - I'll want to strap in.

Leg Extensions
    75x10, 85x10
    Hamstring Curls
    65x12x2
    Notes: The weights here are meaningless cause it obviously varies from machine to machine, but I figured why the hell not, since I can't do anything more useful with my legs. The sets weren't very challenging but I expect to be sore tomorrow, we'll see. First time using these since, probably, 2006.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-27-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I figure at some point -maybe mid 600's for 5 in the rack pull? - I'll want to strap in.
    Not that I should compare myself to you, but clearly my grip sucks worse than my bench....

Leg Extensions
    Hamstring Curls
    Of all the machines, surely these two are my most hated. The first always tweaked my knee and the second... well, the hammy curl just sucks. I'd rather do air squats for an hour. I think the only leg machine I really could use in earnest is the leg press.

Hey Wolf,

Last year, I tweaked my back pretty bad about five weeks out from a competition. I did it during a deadlift, and similar to you I was having difficult with any bending motion. My first day back in the gym, I also could not reach depth on a squat with the bar without having extreme discomfort. I decided to belt up with just the empty bar and work up from there. The belt allowed me to stay tight enough to get to depth and perform the movement with much less discomfort. I was able to squat 225x5x3 the first day and then I just ran an LP from that point on until my meet. At the time of the injury I did not think I would be able to compete, but five weeks later I was able to hit some modest PRs. You have seven more weeks until November so you are already ahead of where I was. The next time you are going to try and squat, put your belt on and see what happens. Hopefully it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Of all the machines, surely these two are my most hated. The first always tweaked my knee and the second... well, the hammy curl just sucks. I'd rather do air squats for an hour. I think the only leg machine I really could use in earnest is the leg press.
    I always think of the good girl/bad girl machines and the seated torso rotation machine (aka the widow maker) as my two least favorite. But believe me, I'd have been very happy if I could have done an hour of air squats. Oh, for pain free ROM again! Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Hey Wolf,

Last year, I tweaked my back pretty bad about five weeks out from a competition. I did it during a deadlift, and similar to you I was having difficult with any bending motion. My first day back in the gym, I also could not reach depth on a squat with the bar without having extreme discomfort. I decided to belt up with just the empty bar and work up from there. The belt allowed me to stay tight enough to get to depth and perform the movement with much less discomfort. I was able to squat 225x5x3 the first day and then I just ran an LP from that point on until my meet. At the time of the injury I did not think I would be able to compete, but five weeks later I was able to hit some modest PRs. You have seven more weeks until November so you are already ahead of where I was. The next time you are going to try and squat, put your belt on and see what happens. Hopefully it helps.
    This is a good idea. Such a good idea, in fact, that I thought the same thing. Both attempts at empty bar squats, Thurs and Fri, were done belted. No dice. I'm hopeful I'll be able to at least squat the bar, if not some weight, by Tuesday.

Though this obviously sucks, it could be a lot worse. Being able to do my full upper body workouts and even rack pull a not completely insignificant amount of weight within the first few days after a back tweak are both better than any previous back tweak I've ever had. I'm concerned about the 525/640 goals for November, but can't worry too much about what I can't control.

I'm concerned about the 525/640 goals for November, but can't worry too much about what I can't control.
    Powerlifting is something we do between injuries.

Good luck with the rehab

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Hey Wolf,

I was reading this without having looked at who wrote it and thought to myself "hmm this sounds so familiar."

Time heals all wounds. Be patient and confident.

This thing is healing more slowly than I expected. I am not complaining by any stretch: ADL's have gotten easier and better to the point that any normal daily activity is fine now. But I thought I'd at least be empty bar squatting with no pain by now and a few attempted sets today before my upper body workout revealed that is not the case. I actually was able to get just below parallel on some reps, but the pain does set in right at that point. So I can get deeper than before, and with less pain, but still not OK enough to actually do sets. It probably won't be much different tomorrow, but maybe by Friday. Or next week.

Bench Press
    345x5 - PR
    Notes:
    Solid set, felt good about this one while doing it. My 5th rep typically slows significantly from my 4th, and today's 5th rep didn't drop off as badly. It dropped off, sure, just not as much as usual.

Press
    192x5x5
    Notes:
    Easier than I expected. Basically blew through these. better knee control today as well.

Lat Chin-Downs
    210x10, 225x10, 240x8x2
    Notes: Finally went up to a weight where less than 10 reps is appropriate. The thing maxes out at 300 so...

Bro-tastic Work
    Ez Curl Bar OH Extensions: Bar + 50 x 15
    DB Curls: 45x8
    Notes: Very light and easy. Did these just so I'm not blasted and super sore after re-introducing arm work on Friday.

Bench and Press Vid:
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Can you box squat high?

Sitting can still be slightly uncomfortable, so even if I can rig one of their plyo boxes to the right height, or use the aerobic stackers, I'm wary of putting the injured part in that position, jammed between the box and the load.

starting strength coach development program
    Would be interesting to do some reverse band squats to a high box, i.e. feel something heavy-ish at the top, have it unload at the bottom (a few inches above parallel) but still be able to train dem legs...