starting strength gym
Page 12 of 443 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well, what a last few days this has been. Was supposed to do another ramp-back-up lift on Friday, then have a wedding filled weekend, then get back to the TM (with a slight de-load starting point) today. Life had other plans. Dealt with a bunch of personal stuff late last week, and couldn't get myself up for the workout Friday or Saturday early. Then had to work Sat afternoon, rehearsal dinner Saturday, got back from that (deep into NJ) at 1am, then wedding all day Sunday. So didn't lift till today. Considering the ramp down in volume pre-meet and my lack of following an ideal post-meet ramp-up schedule, I am going to take this week to ramp back up, and begin my TM work, slightly de-loaded, next week. Today, I did:

Foam Roll, movement prep, etc...
    Squats - high bar, still allowing tendinitis recovery
    45x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 255x5, 275x5, 295x5, 315x2, 335x1, 355x1
    This was interesting - other than Wednesday's sets and a few back off sets at nowhere near working weight over the past few months, I haven't high bar squatted at all in about 6 months. Yet even with my recent lack of training altogether, and high bars specifically, these were pretty easy. No belt, and the 355x1 was not a grind. I also was only resting 2.5-3mins between even the work sets. I don't claim to represent anything other than my own experience, but it does seem to show that getting as strong as possible GENERALLY via low bar squatting has definite carry over to other similar strength based patterns, such as high bar squatting. If I'd warmed up to it and rested a bit more between sets, I could have done 355x5 high bar, for sure.

This wasn't so much surprising, as it's one of Rip's main arguments for the Low Bar Squat being the squat to train, even for olympic lifters, for general strength. But it was interesting to experience it personally.

Press - again, didn't go heavy (for me), but worked on switching from strict to olympic/3rd ed style pressing
    45x5, 75x5, 105x5, 105x5, 125x5, 135x5, 145x5 - no bold because none are really "work sets" from an adaptation perspective, but all good practice. Seemed to finally click better than it has before at 105. I've strict pressed 225 for a single, so look forward to the switch to Olympic style, and getting up past 250.

Deadlifts - forgot to bring chalk, and globo gym was crowded as hell. The 1 platform was being used by a guy who was strapped in to deadlift his 225 with hex-plates (ignoring the round bumper plates all around him - best collection I've ever seen at a commercial gym). So I had to use the gym floor, right in front of a guy who was super setting crunch/leg raise combos on the BOSU with upright rows on the upside down BOSU...not to mention all the people walking 3 inches away from me and my moving barbell. It was awesome. Worked up to 405x5, which wasn't hard but I forgot to bring chalk (obviously they don't have their own), and it was hot and I was pretty sweaty, so grip was tough on the last rep or two.

C2 Erg - did 5 intervals of 200m, with 1:30 rest. Times per 500m: 1:59, 1:55, 1:50, 1:46, 1:40. Only the last one was really an effort, but considering the workout I'd done and the lack of conditioning for the last couple weeks, I eased back into it.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-28-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Oh, how I do not miss lifting at a Globo gym on a crowded holiday when everyone is off. Makes for some amusement though.

All things considered, I think you are doing very well. You will be setting new PRs in no time. Is your tendinitis healing? Both of my elbows bugged me for six months and then miraculously felt better after the recovery week going into my meet.

Went down to Paulie's at SWBC to lift today, which is always twice as awesome as Globo Gym Mania!

Foam Roll, prep, etc...

Squats
    Still ramping back up, and was a bit sore from Monday's work, so took it fairly easy today, and will go heavier on Friday. Still high bar - elbows feel better, but I want to give them more time to heal, since they were really interfering with my bench press (and my sunday softball league skills) over the last couple months.
    45x10, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 275x1, 315x1, 365x1, 275x5x3

Bench Press
    135x5x2, 185x3, 225x2, 275x5x2, 295x5
    First time benching since the meet - piece of cake.

Power Cleans
    135x3, 165x3, 195x3, 215x3x3
    I coach these better than I do them - left to my own devices, I tend to start my pull an inch or two earlier than ideal. Paulie coached me through themm and got me waiting that split second longer to explode. When I do, 215 flies up and feels like a warmup. When I don't, it's work-set weight.

Chins
    6,6,6 - easy, but didn't want to push it. Will do 3 sets of 8 on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian
    Oh, how I do not miss lifting at a Globo gym on a crowded holiday when everyone is off. Makes for some amusement though.
    Let me tell you - I could write another "No Chalk Allowed" article...maybe a whole book. The amusement is sometimes cancelled out by the frustration, but I try to take in in stride. As long as I can get in my work, I'm fine, and I laugh at the funny stuff. When I can't squat because someone is using the rack for curls and leg lifts, or can't deadlift because someone is using the only non-machine filled space for Bosu crunches and stuff like that, then I admit I get pretty frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian
    Is your tendinitis healing? Both of my elbows bugged me for six months and then miraculously felt better after the recovery week going into my meet.
    They're definitely doing better and healing. It affected my benching a lot though, so I'm gonna be conservative and give them more time than I think I need to heal. I tend to be too aggressive and not give myself enough time, so i'm trying to not do that this time.

Jumpin' Jillikers, Batman! What a shit-show of commercial gym nonsense I experienced today. Made me pine for Paulie's, big time. Stay tuned to the end of this post for full descriptive stories.

Foam Roll, etc...

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 195x3, 245x2, 295x1, 335x1, 375x1*, 295x5x3
    So I basically worked up to a single at 375, then did 295 for 3 sets of 5. Still high bar. 375 was a bit harder than I expected, but certainly was never in danger of not getting done.
    *Funny commercial gym incident #1 happened here

Press - been working on my olympic pressing, and last time it seemed to click, so went a bit heavier today than I have been, or than planned
    45x5, 95x5, *115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 155x5
    Again, none heavy enough to really be called work sets (maybe, maaaaaaaybe the 175, but only because I haven't pressed much the last 6 weeks while focusing on bench and then recovering). But getting there with the Olympic version.
    * Funny commercial gym incident #2 happened here

Chins
    8,8,8 - easier than I thought they'd be

And also, today, I was able to run for the first time since this happened. I thought it was Feb, but apparently it was March 12 - still nearly 3 months. My conditioning is off, between not being able to do sprints and cutting out even the small bit of rowing I was doing before the meet. And even though foot felt OK, didn't want to push it first time back, so was conservative and did 4 quarter miles as follows, with about 2 mins walking between each:
    1. Walk to fast walk to jog*
    2. 6.5-6.9
    3. 6.7-7.1
    4. 6.8-7.3
    Surprising how hard they were, but I also know how quickly the conditioning will return. Not worried.
    *Funny commercial gym incident #3 happened here.

Ok, now the moment you've alllllll been waiting for. My three - count 'em - funny commercial gym stories. I wish I had pics and video, because they're so much funnier seen than described, and I'm not a great story teller, but I'll do my best.

Incident #1: I had finished working up to a single, and had unloaded the bar to 295 for my 3 sets of 5, when a bro walks up to the rack and asks how many sets I had left. He not tooooo much smaller than me (I'd guess he was 6' maybe 215-220, and I go at a hair over 6' and about 240), but total bro - arms and chest. I still had my 3x5 squats plus presses, so I said I had many sets left, but would happily share the rack if he wanted to work in (there's only 2 racks in this 40,000 sq ft "Flagship" gym). I was lying about the "happily" part, but he needn't know that. He declined - in fact, no one has taken me up on this offer, ever. I said there's another rack upstairs if you want to use it, and he just grunted no and walked away.

I sort of half paid attention to what he went to do after that. He finds a free barbell and puts on 2 25's on each side (hex plates) and does pseudo-sumo DL with them. He stands just barely wider than a conventional stance, but grips with his hands/arms inside his legs; he was also lowering his ass all the way to the floor, like the oly coaches teach for the oly pulls. So weird. He procedes to do this with 2,3,4, then 5 25's on each side - so 295lbs total, but with all freakin 25's! And his weird-ass form. So weird. Oh ya, also ignoring the stash of round, regulation sized bumpers right nearby (no round iron plates at this gym).

He's eyeing me the entire time, and starts to come over when I unload after the squat, and I see him get a bit exasperated when he sees me start to press, but hey, I told him I had a lot of sets left and he was welcome to work in. He doesn't come over though. I do my 7 press sets with fairly short rest, because none are really working weight, and as soon as the bar in unloaded, he rushes over and asks if I'm done. I am, so I leave.

I see a guy I know there and we schmooze for a minute. I see the guy in the rack squatting, and he's actually going slightly below parallel. After witnessing his "deadlifts" or whatever you call them, I was shocked, but pleasantly surprised. He was also wearing one of those tank tops that doesn't have straps like a wifebeater, but has a narrow middle section of material only, so the shoulders, arms, and torso can be more exposed. Anyone who comes o squat in a shirt like that is highly suspect, so I was shocked to see him go below parallel. Then the wheels came off. He went to 2 plates...3/4 squat. Went to 3 plates...1/2 squat. I didn't stick around to watch any more.

Incident #2
    This one happened between set 95 and 115 in the press. I walked to the water fountain to get a drink, and back - all of I'd guess 45 seconds, total. By this point, I'd been working exclusively on the rack for about 35 minutes. My weights (115) are still loaded on the bar, my towel is there, and my lacrosse balls. When I get back from the fountain, a middle aged guy of about 55 is standing within the rack. He looks like he never lifted a weight in his life. No muscle, slouched posture, nerdy glasses. He's just in the rack, looking at the mirror. I'm a bit amused and not in a hurry so instead of saying "excuse me..." I let this play out. I just come and stand a few feet behind the rack. He continues to stand in the rack, doing literally nothing, for about 90 more seconds. I'm trying not to crack up. FInally finally finally, he turns around, seeing me for the first time, and goes "Oh, are you using this too?" It was all I could do not to spit oodles of laughter in the man's face! Am I using this TOO?!?!? Considering I am the only one who had been using the rack for the past 35 minutes, all my stuff was still there, my weights on the bar, and I'd been away for 45 seconds....and all you did was go in and stand inside the rack for ~2minutes looking at yourself in the mirror...it was too much. But I held it together, and just replied "Yes, but you can work in if you want." Now it gets even better.

He goes, "Oh no, I'm resting right now, you go ahead." Ummmmm, resting from what? Your exhausting set of 2 minute stares into the mirror in the rack?!? So I just go OK and take my set as he stands awkwardly nearby. I look at him as if to say "are you gonna go next" but he gives no indication that he's noticed my look. He stays there for another 30 seconds, then just walks away somewhere else on the floor. SO. FREAKIN. WEIRD.

Incident #3
    This one was just a funny observation from a distance. I've worked at several gym locations where there was a physical therapy office renting space from the gym, and people would occasionally be assigned exercises on the gym floor rather than the PT office. So I've seen a few people come on to gym floors in regular clothes, to do "exercises." They're obviously low grade exercises, but it's a sight I've seen.

That said, I'm starting to do my woefully slow get-back-into-it 'sprints,' and up the stairs walks this 65-ish yr old man. He's wearing sweat pants, a tshirt, converse all stars. So far so good, right? Just an older fella come in to do whatever he does in the gym. Oh ya, except for the gray checkered sport jacket he has on, over his t-shirt. What the hell?!?! He comes up the stairs, gets a towel, and heads straight for a bike, and starts peddling. Seriously WHAT?!?

There's no PT clinic in this gym. And the guy obviously got dressed specifically to work out - sweat pants, sneakers, t-shirt. But then he thought it would be a capital idea to throw on that sport coat before heading to the gym to do his exercise bike ride. Maybe he was chilly??!?!?!?!

Ladies & gents, you just cannot make this shit up!!!
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-01-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Those incidents are priceless. I think we can write a book about hysterical tales at the globo gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
    Those incidents are priceless. I think we can write a book about hysterical tales at the globo gym.
    Why have we not come up with a "People of the Globo-Gym" blog?????

I haven't worked out since Friday - I'm damn sore from softball yesterday (don't laugh...well ok, you can laugh), and this is a shortened training week anyway, due to me traveling to the Falls on Friday for this weekend's seminar. I was gonna do Monday/Thursday, but decided to listen to my body and rest today, do Tues/Thurs, and start next week on a normal schedule again.

My main report here is that the area on the lateral border of my upper arm, just above the elbow, didn't hurt while batting for the first time all season. (It seems like it's right where the brachialis runs into the brachioradialis, but I'm not 100% sure) Anyway, every game, the first time I make contact with the ball, the area just hurts and aches the rest of the game, and for an hour or two afterwards. This week, I barely noticed it was there, there was just the slightest discomfort only when I pushed in pretty deep and hard (that's what she said). This was where I had been having the most trouble with my tendinitis, and it was amazing for it to feel so much better, even after an activity which had inflamed it every time. So I know I'm on the right path to healing, and figure another week, two tops, and I'll be back to normal. Super happy about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Staci View Post
    Great minds (and friends) think alike, I see. I could have written the No Chalk Allowed article, right? And I didn't even mention this.

Wolf,

As a verbose poster myself, I am not discouraged by walls of text. Especially when they are a interesting, educational read like yours. Congrats on the meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Staci View Post
    Behold the current 9451 posts about THAT topic.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=14425

You're welcome.

And just for the record, I read the whole thread while a lurker - almost scared me straight off this site.

P. S. Darn, I see that Wolf already linked to it. Oh well - cannot keep making long posts without repeating other people's points...

Default Tuesday, 6/5/12

The squat rack AND bar that I like (the only one in the entire gym of 40,000 sq ft that's not an absolute piece of shit cheap steel and that doesn't bend as soon as you put 315 on it) were available as soon as I walked onto the floor, so I decided to skip my usual warmup stuff, and get right to it. I did some extra early warmup sets, and did some of my usual movement prep in between them, but I did skip out on foam rolling altogether. Only SMR was lacrosse balls on my erectors. I don't think this is why my squat was weak today, I'm pretty sure I was still feeling it from softball on Sunday. Sounds weird, but during the game I sprinted and stopped on a dime a few times, and slid once as well. My regular training doesn't directly adapt me to any of that, and I hadn't done it in 2 weeks, so I guess it makes sense for me to feel it a little afterwards. Anyway...

Squat - still high bar
    45x5x2, 95x5, 155x5, 205x3, 255x2, 295x1, 345x1, 295x3, 315x1, 295x3, 315x1, 295x3, 325x1

Planned to work up to a single at 385, then do 305x5x3, but 345 felt harder than it should've, so decided to scale back. Skipped the heavier single, and went back and forth between triples at 295 and singles at 315, then finished with another single at 325. This was the right move for today. Depending how I feel Thursday, will chase that 385 high bar single.

Bench Press - no one to hand off / spot, so went light here too
    warmups, then 265x5, 285x3, 305x2, 315x1, 265x5 - all easy.

Deadlift
    Warmups, then 435x5 - a bit harder than I expected, but it was beltless and my legs apparently didn't have a full tank of gas today (see today's squats), and really wasn't too hard overall, so I guess this was fine.

1/4 milers - did just a bit faster than Friday, still stayed at 4.

1) Walk to jog to 6.5. 2) 6.5-7.0. 3) 6.8-7.3. 4) 6.9-7.5
    Still harder than they ought to be, but I'll be back soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DPMuller View Post
    Wolf,
    As a verbose poster myself, I am not discouraged by walls of text. Especially when they are a interesting, educational read like yours. Congrats on the meet.

Behold the current 9451 posts about THAT topic.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=14425

You're welcome.

And just for the record, I read the whole thread while a lurker - almost scared me straight off this site.

P. S. Darn, I see that Wolf already linked to it. Oh well - cannot keep making long posts without repeating other people's points...
    DPMuller - I'm glad you find my log educationally useful. Like you said, I am a bit verbose, but I try to keep it interesting and on-topic. Welcome to the party!

Default Thurs, 6/7/12

starting strength coach development program
    Foam Roll/SMR, etc...

Squats
    45x8, 155x5, 225x3, 275x2, 315x1, 355x1, 385x1, 315x2, 340x1, 315x2, 340x1
    Still did high-bar. The 385 was hard and I had to push through a slow point, but it wasn't limit. Then did a few singles and doubles at 340/315.

Press
    45x5, 95x5x2, 125x5, 150x5, 175x5x2, 145x5
    Mostly still fine tuning the Olympic Press, which is coming along. Since I haven't been pressing heavy for a while, my strength here is a bit down. I'm probably going to compete in the Rip Invitational in November, which is a Squat/Press/DL meet, so will be working on getting my Press back up.

Chins
    10,10,9. 1 set of Pulldowns, 140x12.

Sprints
    Four quarter miles @
    1. walk to jog to 6.6
    2. 6.7-7.2
    3. 6.9-7.4
    4. 7.0-7.5