starting strength gym
Page 13 of 443 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Default Mon, 6/11/12

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After coaching all weekend at the WFAC SS Seminar, I hadn't gotten a lift in yet. It would have been criminal to not lift over my whole trip to Wichita Falls, plus would have screwed what is supposed to (FINALLY!) be my first full week back to normal programming - I'll be doing a TM Split, and today was Bench 5x5 and Press assistance. So Steve dropped me off at the gym before he left, and I got my lift in.

However, I obviously couldn't come to the WFAC and not Squat at all, so I worked up to an easy 315x5 just so as not to arouse the wrath of the barbell gods. Unfortunately, Rip wasn't at the gym yet to coach me, and the other coaches had already left, so I lifted alone at first, then with a few members there. Still awesome.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5 - all easy

Bench - TM Volume
    Warmups then 255x5x5. Might have been too conservative, but it's been a while since I did any real volume on bench, so I decided better to be conservative and not totally swimming in DOMS, than too aggressive. The 5th set still felt pretty easy, we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Press - Light Work
    45x5x2, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155 for a bunch of 5s and triples. All pretty easy, just getting the light Press work in.

No shower afterwards because I didn't have my own towel - sorry to the two people I sat next to on my 2 flights today. My flights - both from WF to Dallas and from Dallas back to NYC were both uneventful and on time. Somehow.

Wolf,

You back to the LBBS yet? Looks like we're doing the same split, I've liked it so far. Any thoughts of assistance exercises yet? PS I workout in a commercial gym about once or twice a week (between school or work I just get stuck there) and yea it's a bitch. Good to meet you once again!

Squat and Halting DLs today. 2 factors combined to make me know it'd be an interesting day. #1. I've always used the full DL thus far and this was my first time with Haltings #2. I haven't squatted an even reasonably heavy weight for any volume at all in almost a month.

Given those 2 factors, I decided a ramp up was in order. I want to be able to do a reasonable amount of conditioning so decided to keep my split, but use a combination of ramping sets and advanced novice linear progression for just a bit, until I get back to weights that truly call for intermediate programming. Right now, the weights I'm using aren't hard, but my lack of recent adaptation to any volume at all at even moderately heavy weights would probably wreck me. So that's why things are a bit wonky right now. In a few weeks, my split will be more like a true TM Split routine. That said...

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 195x3, 255x2, 305x5, 325x5, 345x5 - 3 ramping work sets. None were hard, the hardest part of the 345x5 was actually the conditioning. Damn. It'll be back in no time.

Halting DL - first time doing these (I had stubbornly resisted, like a mule, for a long time). Rip writes in the 3rd ed that your Halting DL set of 8 is done with heavier weights than your DL set of 5. My current DL set of 5 is in the 450-465 range (I did 435 fairly easy last week). But I figured I'd be conservative since it was my first time, and feel it out.
    Warmups: 135x5, 225x3, 315x1. Chose 405 as my work set weight. Did 6 reps before Jesus came to talk. Eked out a 7th, but an 8th was just not happening. Looks like Mr. Erectors and Grip are both gonna have to get stronger, ASAP.

Finished with some 1/4 mile and an 1/8 mile sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    You back to the LBBS yet? Looks like we're doing the same split, I've liked it so far. Any thoughts of assistance exercises yet? PS I workout in a commercial gym about once or twice a week (between school or work I just get stuck there) and yea it's a bitch. Good to meet you once again!
    Yes. IIRC, when I was at about 335 or 340 for linear progression, I fucked up on my bar position, and that caused a cascade of elbow troubles that stayed with me. The properly done LB position won't hurt the elbows, but I found that once I had already messed them up, that position was just stressful enough on the elbows to not allow healing. I was pretty close to the meet, so kept LB-ing and didn't give them time to heal. It ended up hurting my bench, but I got enough more weight out of it in the squat that it was probably a net gain in my total. After the meet, I did high bar for a few weeks to let my elbows heal, and as of this week, am 100% back to the LBBS. I was itching to get back sooner, but I'm glad I had patience, because so far so good. Whereas previously, my arm killed me every Sunday during softball and every time I benched heavy.

I've always done whole body routines (whether SS or the TM), so this is my first time splitting. Doing whole body, I never did any assistance except chins and conditioning on the full body routines, but the split allows for that. I may add in some RDLs and Bent Over Rows. First I'm gonna see how my body responds to the split before throwing extra stuff in, though.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-13-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Ya, so even those easy squats yesterday have my glutes, hams, and adductors letting me know they're still there. I'm sure the Haltings are contributing too, although I don't feel it in my lats at all, which I expected.

Went to the gym and foam rolled and stretched a bit, then did a few easy 300m rows with about a minute rest. Basically a good warmup/mobility session to facilitate recovery.

Will warm up to a heavy 5 on the bench tomorrow, and then some DB bench presses and some press assistance stuff too, if I feel like it.

I never ever felt haltings in my lats. Kill the bench tomorrow son!

Default Intensity Day - Bench Press

Foam Roll etc...

Bench Press
    45x5, 135x5x2, 185x3, 225x2, 265x1, 305x5
    Harder than I expected, considering how easy 255x5x5 was even without a hand-off on Monday. Got a good hand off for this set from a trainer at the gym who actually listened to what I told him about the hand-off, so it was hard just because it was hard. Not brutally, limit hard, but harder than I would have picked for my first week back on TM - the last rep was rather slow. I'm surprised, but I'll adjust accordingly - I thought I'd get to at least 315 or 320 for my 5RM before microloading (and then moving to a 3RM or 5 singles), but looks like I'll start microloading now and do 307.5 x 5 next time bench ID comes up in 2 weeks.

Assistance Work:
    DB Bench Press
    80x8, 90x8, 100x8

1-Arm DB Press
    55x8x3

And then - oh shit! - I realized I'd forgotten to do Chins. Considering that Chins are probably my most important assistance work, I plan to do them right after my ID Bench. I was pretty fried by now - probably did too much volume on assistance work, even if it was low intensity - for the first week here, so I only did 2 sets of 8 chins.

Default Squats and Power Cleans - 6/16/12

Got out to Paulie's Palace, aka the South Brooklyn Weightlifting Club this morning. Always better to lift there.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x3, 235x2, 275x1, 315x5, 335x5, 355x5
    The 335 felt easier than the 315, so I considered jumping to 365x5 for the last set. Ultimately decided not to, since I don't need to hurry this, but I'm sure I could have gotten it. Based on how this felt (and how I recover over the next 2 days), I'll titrate next week, but I think I'll do 325/345/365 on Tuesday, and then move to sets across at 355 after that. Then I'll move up 5lbs, twice/week, until I exhaust linearly that way, and then move to TM proper.

Power Clean - weights are not exact, because we were mixing kg and lb plates, but within a pound or two...
    115x3, 135x3, 165x3, 195x3, 210x3, 225x3x2
    Only the 225 are really work sets. I waited properly to hit my jumping position on 4 of my 6 work weight reps, and pulled an inch or two early on the other 2 reps. Not bad.

Default Volume Press - 6/19/12

Foam roll blah blah blah

Press
    45x5x2, 75x5, 105x3, 135x2, 155x5x5
    Even though I'd been up to 192.5x5x3 in my LP, I regressed some on pressing when I focused on bench a bit more up to the meet, and as this is also my first volume press week, I'd rather start too low and keep moving than start too high and get stuck. 155 was a bit harder than I expected, but no reps were in any question of not going up. Actually did 6 reps on the final set. Just cause.

Chins
    Did these before bench because even recovery bench might effect chins, but the reverse is not the case - so I'm gonna do them before each week.

Bench
    135x5, 175x5, 205x5x2 - recovery bench

Pulldowns
    Chin grip: 140x15, 160x12 - wanted more voluuuuuuume

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    ...I regressed some on pressing when I focused on bench a bit more up to the meet, and as this is also my first volume press week, I'd rather start too low and keep moving than start too high and get stuck. 155 was a bit harder than I expected, but no reps were in any question of not going up. Actually did 6 reps on the final set. Just cause.
    I did the same thing and practically dropped pressing leading up to a meet. Very wise of you to start "too low".

(btw, thanks for the support on tumblr...I don't know how to respond to comments, lol :-)

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Wolf,

Do you have any plans to attend the Invitational meet in November at WFAC??