Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf - Page 138

starting strength gym
Page 138 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

  1. #1371
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    • starting strength seminar april 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Because he isnt interested in purchasing new suits? I mean I obviously dont agree with that mindsight, but different folks different strokes.

    This is part of the game of any business, and there is an art to toeing the line of staying true to yourself and providing the customer with what they truly desire.
    Oh I agree with you. That's why I said it simultaneously amused and annoyed me. The mindset that leads one to prioritize things in that way is utterly mysterious to me. And there are many who have that mindset, but change it once exposed to the experience and possibilities of training. This guy is just not one of them.

    I'm not going to force things he doesn't want down his throat. We modify his entire session already, as it is, from what I'd do with the majority of the people I coach to a watered down (but still useful) version that he will actually do. But I can still be irked by that mentality, certainly when it's coming from someone who was physically weak to the point of incapability in basic tasks (remember - 10 lb dumbbell BP work sets and 7.5 lbs OHP), and who is now capable due the the adaptations that changed him from a 38" to a 41".

  2. #1372
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Also I just saw a woman in a fancy skirt-suit and designer boots duck and slide under the turnstile to avoid paying for her subway ride (at the Chambers st 1/2/3 station for anyone who knows the city). $2.50. But she has to $300 boots.

    Ya ya, I'm sure it was cause she didn't want to take the time to buy a card and miss the subway while doing so blah blah blah.

    That's bullshit. My thought today is: Fuck People.

  3. #1373
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Illinois-"Chicagoland"
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Wolf, I picture you in a small town in flyover country, running a blackiron gym in a barn. New York seems not to fit your sensibilities.

  4. #1374
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Oh I agree with you. That's why I said it simultaneously amused and annoyed me. The mindset that leads one to prioritize things in that way is utterly mysterious to me. And there are many who have that mindset, but change it once exposed to the experience and possibilities of training. This guy is just not one of them.
    I cancelled my monthly donation to Save the Endangered Chupacabras so I could afford my weekly Costco run and more BCAA's. WHAT!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

    At the end of the session today he tells me that he's gained some weight but most of it is muscle. But he's not happy because he's getting too big for his shirts. This is a man about 5'8" 170 who had to start bench pressing with 10 lb dumbbells when I started with him. He's now up to 60s. (Doesn't like the way the barbell feels so we do DBs - again the training/exercise thing.)

    But he's not happy about it because his suits and shirts - bespoke for his former 38" chest - are now too tight for his 41" chest. When I told him 38" is more of a bra size than a suit/shirt size for a man, I don't think he was thrilled about that. But he did take the point.

    Anyway, that just happened and, like I said, both amused and annoyed me. How did we get to the point where a man with a 38" chest is more concerned with not outgrowing his shirts than with getting the hell bigger right the fuck now?!?
    This topic of conversation comes up quite a bit with women, cuz apparently we're a little self-conscious and require validation sometimes, when they have to buy new pants from all the squatting and deadlifting. In my mind, I'm like "Fuck yea. You're welcome world." But, to them, it's contrary to what they believed their goals were. I find it's helpful to reiterate that their training has caused a change in body composition and a solid pant (or shirt) size increase is better than a smaller size while being skinny fat. I like to validate their concerns but then continue to be a source of positivity for this massive (pun intended) accomplishment and they tend to come around, especially when they start becoming aware of the increase of compliments they are most likely receiving. Just my $0.02.

  5. #1375
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Wolf, I picture you in a small town in flyover country, running a blackiron gym in a barn. New York seems not to fit your sensibilities.
    That type of life does sound quite satisfying to me. However, as much as the fashion conscious, skinny jeans wearing, metrosexual man who prioritizes just about everything above physical capability is sort of the stereotypical New Yorker, there are a lot of people here who are salt of the earth and with a lot of grit. Like anything else, you have to wade through the shit to find the gems.

    Quote Originally Posted by Niki Sims View Post
    I cancelled my monthly donation to Save the Endangered Chupacabras so I could afford my weekly Costco run and more BCAA's. WHAT!!
    Because you, Niki, are one of those aforementioned gems.

    Quote Originally Posted by Niki Sims View Post
    This topic of conversation comes up quite a bit with women, cuz apparently we're a little self-conscious and require validation sometimes, when they have to buy new pants from all the squatting and deadlifting. In my mind, I'm like "Fuck yea. You're welcome world." But, to them, it's contrary to what they believed their goals were. I find it's helpful to reiterate that their training has caused a change in body composition and a solid pant (or shirt) size increase is better than a smaller size while being skinny fat. I like to validate their concerns but then continue to be a source of positivity for this massive (pun intended) accomplishment and they tend to come around, especially when they start becoming aware of the increase of compliments they are most likely receiving. Just my $0.02.
    I do appreciate your thoughts, although I was writing more to vent than to get feedback. I have been "in the industry" for elevent years now, full time for nine, six of those at a commercial gym - all of those six years in some capacity where sales were important. And I've been training this particular gentleman for almost six years now. He's heard everything I have to say on the topic, many, many times. He just is who he is, and his capacity for change upon absorption of new information is limited. He asks me questions sometimes, but I don't think he really listens to the answers. He still thinks saturated fat is the devil's spawn, he still eats about 40-50g/ protein a day, thinks soy beans are a great source of protein, and when he does occasionally go the the gym on his own, always does way too much with too little rest "because he wanted to get his heart rate up and get a sweat going," but - consistently, every time - fails to make his planned reps the next time we meet because of the workout he did on his own. But he does it again and again, despite knowing both why he shouldn't, and what will happen when he does. He knows, but he just doesn't really get it.

    I don't really think there's anything that can be done here. I was just complaining.

    He's a perfectly nice guy who I get along with great. He will just be forever limited by his own unconquerable biases, preconceived notions, and lack of desire to work really hard.

  6. #1376
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Trap felt way better today. I didn't push it because I wanted to see how it felt after a small dose of UB work, but really encouraging progress on this front. I saw soft tissue guy again yesterday, and will be getting another (regular) massage with my MT on Saturday. Hopeful.

    Bench Press
    45x10, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 265x5, 305x5
    Notes: All felt ok on the shoulder/trap front. First time since the initial trouble started that I felt not even a twinge. The left side still felt weaker to me, but lack of twinge is big. 305 was slower than I'd like, but given that it's been about 5 weeks since I've actually trained bench hard, that's to be expected.

    Rip-Jerk Style Push Press
    45x5, 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 195x3, 205x3
    Notes: These are push presses done with a grip and bar placement and "bounce" - not dip and drive - the way Rip coaches the Jerk. I didn't want to risk straining my trap with the bar held in my hands like in a press, so did this to take the weight off compression on my radius and tension on the humerus, which combine to irritate my trap. It worked. While the weights weren't heavy and I still felt some of that left-side weakness, there was no pain during or after.

    Chins
    9,9,9,9
    Notes: Upped to 9 across today. Not hard, but harder than Monday.

    Hammer Strength Seated High Row
    160 lbs/side (three 45s and a 25) x 10 x 2
    Notes: Easy. Just getting used to some rowing work again before going hard.

    Overall happy about today's progress on the trap front.

  7. #1377
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Horndean, UK
    Posts
    657

    Default

    That guy probably feels as sad as you do that you don't understand the thrill of the road cycling and what he gets out of it. We all have different filters and it's a fun journey trying to imagine how someone else sees the world. Seems as though you have the balance right with him, after all he keeps coming back!

  8. #1378
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    He will just be forever limited by his own unconquerable biases, preconceived notions, and lack of desire to work really hard.
    This puts it very well. The perceived cost of opinion change can be great for some people. I often find it hard to accept that some would rather not change for the better because it invalidates many of the things they have done and believed in for years.

  9. #1379
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kingwood TX
    Posts
    8,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post


    I do appreciate your thoughts, although I was writing more to vent than to get feedback. I have been "in the industry" for elevent years now, full time for nine, six of those at a commercial gym - all of those six years in some capacity where sales were important. And I've been training this particular gentleman for almost six years now. He's heard everything I have to say on the topic, many, many times. He just is who he is, and his capacity for change upon absorption of new information is limited. He asks me questions sometimes, but I don't think he really listens to the answers. He still thinks saturated fat is the devil's spawn, he still eats about 40-50g/ protein a day, thinks soy beans are a great source of protein, and when he does occasionally go the the gym on his own, always does way too much with too little rest "because he wanted to get his heart rate up and get a sweat going," but - consistently, every time - fails to make his planned reps the next time we meet because of the workout he did on his own. But he does it again and again, despite knowing both why he shouldn't, and what will happen when he does. He knows, but he just doesn't really get it.

    I don't really think there's anything that can be done here. I was just complaining.

    He's a perfectly nice guy who I get along with great. He will just be forever limited by his own unconquerable biases, preconceived notions, and lack of desire to work really hard.

    Wolf,


    You will find that this is much the same here at KSC. When I first started in the business I didn't have a real clear identity of who I was as a coach. I did a lot of things with my clients based on what I thought they wanted. Often it was barbell training, sometimes not, sometimes a mix. It wasn't like I was committing malpractice, still quality exercise, but not strictly barbell training as we know it. For that reason I still have a lot of clients who are doing the things we were doing years ago. For many of my old clients I have eased them off of the old programs and onto the barbells, but others were totally happy with what they were doing and had no reason to change.


    At the end of the day you have to retain your best clients. If they are happy and are still with you six years in....keep on keepin on.

  10. #1380
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    How's your trap feeling after the push presses?

    I just want to see you get healthy already and kick some ass!

    I love hearing your stories - they make me miss life in the big city. I used to call Mac every night when we were going long distance and tell him tales like that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •