Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf - Page 139

starting strength gym
Page 139 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

  1. #1381
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    • starting strength seminar october 2022
    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by lwoodroff View Post
    That guy probably feels as sad as you do that you don't understand the thrill of the road cycling and what he gets out of it. We all have different filters and it's a fun journey trying to imagine how someone else sees the world. Seems as though you have the balance right with him, after all he keeps coming back!
    Ha! Maybe. Interestingly enough, the times I've felt that something I've said has made more of an impact are the times I was able to use cyclying analogies or examples (i.e. the needs of the sprinter vs the needs of the mountain climber - two different sub specialties in road cycling, from what I understand).

    Quote Originally Posted by steven-miller View Post
    This puts it very well. The perceived cost of opinion change can be great for some people. I often find it hard to accept that some would rather not change for the better because it invalidates many of the things they have done and believed in for years.
    This is definitely a general truism. I don't know how much of it is at play here and won't speculate, but a very good observation about humanity in general. I find it hard to accept as well, possibly because I did something right along those lines myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Wolf,


    You will find that this is much the same here at KSC. When I first started in the business I didn't have a real clear identity of who I was as a coach. I did a lot of things with my clients based on what I thought they wanted. Often it was barbell training, sometimes not, sometimes a mix. It wasn't like I was committing malpractice, still quality exercise, but not strictly barbell training as we know it. For that reason I still have a lot of clients who are doing the things we were doing years ago. For many of my old clients I have eased them off of the old programs and onto the barbells, but others were totally happy with what they were doing and had no reason to change.


    At the end of the day you have to retain your best clients. If they are happy and are still with you six years in....keep on keepin on.
    Thanks for your thoughts, Andy. It really doesn't bother me at all that not every single person I train is a barbell client or truly wants to TRAIN. People being what they are, it's inevitable that some people will be less interested and less motivated, and seek out a personal trainer more for accountability than anything else. I'm OK with that, and get along well with my clients who are more of that persuasion. I think what bugged me about this was the lack of appreciation, not for me as a trainer, but for his own improved capabilities and quality of life that comes along with that, for the small expense of just a few inches added to his chest measurement - over the course of 6 years. I understand not everyone wants to be a 52" like me, but 41" is hardly hulking, and going from 38" to 41" over three years is hardly rapid mass gain. It seems like a no-brainer of a trade-off for anyone who cares enough about their fitness and health to actually pay someone to manage it.

    It's not something that angers me or that I carry with me in resentment after the fact. As I've said, I actually really like the guy and we get along great - and have for six years! It just struck me in the moment and I posted about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Mounsey View Post
    How's your trap feeling after the push presses?

    I just want to see you get healthy already and kick some ass!
    Thanks G! Trap feels good today - no problem post push presses. It's still not 100% but is soooooo much better than before, it's a big relief. I won't speculate when I'll be able to return to full normal, but I will try pushing UB work a little harder this coming week and see how it reacts. I want nothing better than to get healthy again and KICK SOME ASS!! Last time I had 4 months of consecutive good health, I added 115 to my total. I just need a good year without any major injuries - the minor tweaks and strains I can deal with - and I should have a pro total of 1655 with no problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Mounsey View Post
    I love hearing your stories - they make me miss life in the big city. I used to call Mac every night when we were going long distance and tell him tales like that.
    I bet you have some doozies from the La Palestra days.

  2. #1382
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Good day today. Feeling like myself again. Final Re-LP push and then transition squats back into intermediate territory.

    Squat
    425x5x3
    Notes
    : Second set was the best in terms of knees, that's what on the video. But all three were strong and pretty fast.

    Deadlift
    495x5
    Notes
    : Solid. Hardest part, and only reason they weren't even faster, is that my thumbs were killing me for some reason. #hookgripproblems

    Deficit DL off 1" Mat
    365x5, 405x5 - DOH, with belt
    Notes: First time doing these, started conservatively to feel em out. Brought mats I've recently acquired to the gym last night, when I did my bar maintenance, so I could work these into my post DL rotation.

    I had a bit of trouble keeping the bar on my shins at the very beginning of the pull, right of the floor. I'll need to tinker with my set-up to find the right position. It was surprising how much only 1" threw me off.

    C2 Erg - The Protocol (20 / 1:40) x 6
    Splits @ 1:32, 1:26, 1:24, 1:23, 1:23, 1:22
    Happy with how fast these were. One of the trainers at the club who I'm friends with came over to me right afterwards as I staggered off the rower. I came up with this gem, right then and there:
    Conditioning is my kryptonite and Chipotle is my sun.
    Then I went and had Chipotle. Obviously. Sarah also had a great day of lifting and provided very helpful cueing during my sets. Two thumbs up all around today.

    2nd set of squats, and the 495x5 DL set:
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-31-2014 at 06:36 PM.

  3. #1383
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Wolf,


    You will find that this is much the same here at KSC. When I first started in the business I didn't have a real clear identity of who I was as a coach. I did a lot of things with my clients based on what I thought they wanted. Often it was barbell training, sometimes not, sometimes a mix. It wasn't like I was committing malpractice, still quality exercise, but not strictly barbell training as we know it. For that reason I still have a lot of clients who are doing the things we were doing years ago. For many of my old clients I have eased them off of the old programs and onto the barbells, but others were totally happy with what they were doing and had no reason to change.


    At the end of the day you have to retain your best clients. If they are happy and are still with you six years in....keep on keepin on.
    I noticed when my wife trained clients I a gym a lot of times they were just bored and wanted to sweat some at the gym and chat with someone while doing it. They also tended to just want a lot of variety to their exercise.

  4. #1384
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,178

    Default

    Nice to see your weights continuing to climb back up. Pulls looked easy.

  5. #1385
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Drink Wisconsinbly
    Posts
    1,790

    Default How to Speak Russian


  6. #1386
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    I noticed when my wife trained clients I a gym a lot of times they were just bored and wanted to sweat some at the gym and chat with someone while doing it. They also tended to just want a lot of variety to their exercise.
    This is true about A LOT of personal training clients. Fortunately no one I work with is in the category. I don't think I could deal with it, unless I absolutely needed every last cent to pay the bills.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Nice to see your weights continuing to climb back up. Pulls looked easy.
    Thanks man. Feels good to be moving some weight again. It doesn't represent the most I could have done when I was at my strongest, but the most I ever did for 3x5 is 430, so I should surpass that next week.

  7. #1387
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Simczyk View Post
    A fine follow up to Comrade Campitelli's first foray into the world of Wolf Russian Squat Videos. Thanks Clay, I have already watched it twice and cracked up!

  8. #1388
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Thanks man. Feels good to be moving some weight again. It doesn't represent the most I could have done when I was at my strongest, but the most I ever did for 3x5 is 430, so I should surpass that next week.
    Awesome dude. That's pretty exciting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    A fine follow up to Comrade Campitelli's first foray into the world of Wolf Russian Squat Videos. Thanks Clay, I have already watched it twice and cracked up!
    Hahaha! Thanks for that, Clay.

  9. #1389
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kingwood TX
    Posts
    8,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    I noticed when my wife trained clients I a gym a lot of times they were just bored and wanted to sweat some at the gym and chat with someone while doing it. They also tended to just want a lot of variety to their exercise.
    No, your good clients recognize the value in what you do, they just aren't motivated enough to do it themselves (although) they tend to be highly motivated in other areas of their life. They take it seriously they just don't really have the capacity (mentally or physically) to do anything extraordinary. Sorry Wolf, I won't clog up your log anymore!

  10. #1390
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    I noticed when my wife trained clients I a gym a lot of times they were just bored and wanted to sweat some at the gym and chat with someone while doing it. They also tended to just want a lot of variety to their exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    No, your good clients recognize the value in what you do, they just aren't motivated enough to do it themselves (although) they tend to be highly motivated in other areas of their life. They take it seriously they just don't really have the capacity (mentally or physically) to do anything extraordinary. Sorry Wolf, I won't clog up your log anymore!
    Andy, you most certainly aren't clogging anything up. You're more than welcome to comment anytime!

    I don't think you guys are arguing, really. In my six years working at a commercial gym, I saw hundreds of personal training clients who are exactly, or nearly, what idlehands described.

    The difference is, as you articulated, that your GOOD clients aren't like this. I bet that the type of client who is attracted to a trainer like you, and a facility like KSC, is not of that ilk. And if they somehow are, they don't last long there. But typical gyms and PT studios are full of clients like this. They have disposable income and want a trainer for a variety of possible reasons, none of which have to do with placing any value in a trainer's actual expertise.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •