starting strength gym
Page 14 of 443 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Hey Wolf,

Do you have any plans to attend the Invitational meet in November at WFAC??
    I'd like to do it, but still thinking about it. I'm coming out for the SS Coaches Association event in October, and like you - since I run my own business of 1 - any time I take off directly effects my income, so I'm not sure about taking that time off 2 months in a row. But I'd like to, and trying to work things out so I can. Why do you ask?

Default Squats and Rack Pulls - 6/20/12

Did just a bit of erector rolling, didn't roll or prep anything else really.

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 195x3, 255x2, 305x1, 355x5x3
    I expected these to be EASY, and while they weren't, they also were far from hard. I'll make a game time call based on how my warmups feel whether to do 360 or jump to 365 next squat workout.
    Also, the spot on my right elbow that was killing me leading up to the meet started hurting again on Sunday during softball whenever I was at bat. I was super worried about this re: low bar squats, but everything today went smooth without a twinge.

Rack Pulls
    First time doing these, after first time doing Haltings last week. Because of my experience with the haltings, I went conservative, and it ended up being too easy but that's ok. I can always add more weight in future weeks. I also set the bar up on blocks probably an inch or two too high, but was too much trouble and work to take the bar down, change the blocks, and pick it back up again all on my own. So I started from just below the kneecap, instead of a couple inches below - which also contributed to it being easier than expected. In both cases, now I know.
    135x5, 225x3, 315x1, 405x1, 475x5 - easy

Started doing some sprints when my soleus (99% sure) tweaked, and I called it quits immediately. I've done this once or twice before, and it's annoying as hell, but I've learned that if I don't act stubborn and keep running, it heals and works itself out in a week or less - so even though I desperately want to ramp up my conditioning, I"m gonna be smart instead of stupid, and wait it out.

Cool incident: a couple guys came up to me after seeing me squat 355x5 (which isn't much weight, even for me, and I'm not particularly strong) and started asking me what I was doing. After telling them I'm an avid fan of Rippetoe and his work, I got blank stares. I said "STARTING STRENGTH?!?" and they lit up - "Oh ya, we're doing that too!" They were about my height and way too skinny (170ish at about 6' tall), but one had decent #s, 275x5x3 in the squat. I watched a few and they were an inch high but otherwise decent. Hopefully gonna lift with them on Friday and help them some.

The more people I meet who are into this stuff - and it's not common, but becoming more and more common at commercial gyms - the better mood I tend to be in. And the better chance I will meet someone who can help me, directly or indirectly, get a real gym in Manhattan going.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Default Intensity Press & Assistance Stuff - 6/22/12

Foam rolled and shit

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 115x3, 145x2, 180x5 - pretty easy, didn't have to dig much even for the 5th rep, it probably slowed just a tiny bit from the first rep. But good to have a head start, cause I know I crash pretty quickly on Presses (i.e. got 192.5 x 5,5,4 twice, but couldn't get 195x5 even once).

Weighted Chins
    BW + 25lbs x 5 x 3

Rack Presses - from nose level
    135x5, 155x5, 175x3 - just playing with these for now. My sticking point is usually somewhere between my nose and eyebrows, so did a few at the nose just to see how they felt. By the time I need them to drive progress, I'll have a good feel for exactly how I want to set them up, and can then play with sets and reps to fine tune it.

Still had some more energy and time so did 2 sets of Cable Rows. I hadn't done these in forever, probably close to 2 years. Was surprised at how much stronger I was than last time I did them. Used 180 for 10 reps, did 10 pushups, rested 2 mins, then did 200 for 7 reps + 1 cheat rep with low back helping. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Foam rolled and shit

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 115x3, 145x2, 180x5 - pretty easy, didn't have to dig much even for the 5th rep, it probably slowed just a tiny bit from the first rep. But good to have a head start, cause I know I crash pretty quickly on Presses (i.e. got 192.5 x 5,5,4 twice, but couldn't get 195x5 even once).

Weighted Chins
    BW + 25lbs x 5 x 3

Rack Presses - from nose level
    135x5, 155x5, 175x3 - just playing with these for now. My sticking point is usually somewhere between my nose and eyebrows, so did a few at the nose just to see how they felt. By the time I need them to drive progress, I'll have a good feel for exactly how I want to set them up, and can then play with sets and reps to fine tune it.

Still had some more energy and time so did 2 sets of Cable Rows. I hadn't done these in forever, probably close to 2 years. Was surprised at how much stronger I was than last time I did them. Used 180 for 10 reps, did 10 pushups, rested 2 mins, then did 200 for 7 reps + 1 cheat rep with low back helping. Not bad.
    I do that after foam rolling too. :P

Looking good there Wolfie. Keep it up.

Default Squat and - don't hate - Speed Deadlifts

Yes, you read that correctly. Speed deadlifts. I lifted in a gym that didn't have bars that spin properly, so was very very wary about cleaning 230 for 5 sets of 3 there. I chose speed deads instead. The world will continue to revolve around its axis, I'm sure.

Also, I did my speed deads while Malcom Gladwell looked on, in between sets of his dumbbell jumping half squats. Wonder what he thought of my lifting?

Foam Roll etc...(no shit this time, Whities!)

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 365x5x3
    These were easier than I expected. Weird, since the 355 on Wednesday was harder than I expected. The first rep on every set went up really fast. The 5th rep on sets 2 and 3 were hard, but not grinds - and I only rested ~4 mins between sets. When I was last at 365x5x3 (probably early April), I had to rest more between sets, and it was still more of a grind. This is good.

Speed Deads - not excited about these, but whatever.
    145, 235, 275, 295 singles on the minute for 9.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-23-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: left out celebrity sighting

Default Volume Bench and Assorted Other Stuff

Just did some erector rolling on the lacrosse balls and a bit of shoulder mobing prior to the bench.

Bench Press
    45x5x2, 135x5x2, 185x3, 225x2, 260x5x5
    Had hand-offs from a workout-buddy team who I've been helping a bit at the gym. They kept saying the weight was too light and it looked too easy. I tried to explain that I took a step back when I returned to the TM after a few week layoff from any type of volume training at all, so it SHOULD be and look easy, but they didn't seem to get it.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 115x3, 135x1, 155x5x3

Chins
    - though the last two reps of the 3rd set were iffy. Then 2 sets of pulldowns 160x10x2.

Lots of ladies showing lots of leg today too. Sweet.

Great lifting Wolf.

Default Squats and Halting DL - 6/26/12

Foam Roll, movement prep

Squats - warmups felt good and strong, so made another 10lb jump.
    45x5, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 375x5x3
    This is the most I've done as part of an LP (for 3 sets of 5) - I did it twice before, today the 3rd time - but for logistical reasons (SS Seminar and then meet taper), didn't go past it. I KNOW I have more than this as part of my LP, so am going to now add 5lbs when I squat, twice per week, and see how far I can get on my LP. I don't think I have too much more till I peter out on this "Advanced Novice" type progression, but I know I can go past 375x5x3. Rested about 5 mins between sets.

Halting DL
    135x5, 225x3, 315x1, 365x1, 415x8
    I told myself very firmly since I got only 7 reps @ 405 last time, to do 405 again, get 8 reps, then move up 5lbs. Squats felt strong today, and Halting warmups did too, so I said "Fuck it, let's go for 415!" And I got it. Another factor in the decision is that 2 weeks ago I was just starting to ramp my LB Squats back up again. I believe I did 305, 315, 335 for 5 that day. Today I did 375x5x3, so obviously my general strength is back higher than it was 2 weeks ago, so I just went for it. I didn't use straps, so switched after rep 5 to alternating grip, and did 2 reps on 1 side, then one more on the other. It was fine.
    I think I need to stay out over the bar better, though, and work the hams and lats more.

Finished with 3 each 400m and 200m "sprints," if you can call them that. I did the 200m's about as fast as I SHOULD be doing the 400m's, and the 400m's about as fast as I should be able to jog for 2 miles. But considering the conditioning setbacks I've had lately, this is OK for today.

Ah, yeah. Conditioning.... The fun never ends.

As for your TM reset: how long are you giving yourself to get back to your heaviest point on the last cycle? I don't PR until the 5th week and it seems like forever...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    Ah, yeah. Conditioning.... The fun never ends.

As for your TM reset: how long are you giving yourself to get back to your heaviest point on the last cycle? I don't PR until the 5th week and it seems like forever...
    Since that foot injury in...whatever it was, March or February, my conditioning has sucked. I'm also a bit heavier now due to my eating habits, though only ~5lbs. I'll get it back. And ultimately, I know 220 is too small for me, but I could put significantly more muscle than I currently have on me, and still be a 242. I'd ballpark guess my bf% around 15-17% weighing in the low 240s. If I got that to 10-12%, which I know I can do, I can hold about 10lbs more muscle and still be in the same weight class. So that's what I want to do.

For the TM reset, it's hard to get a handle on what my PRs really are because I was doing 5 singles from pretty much the beginning on ID, and then soon switched over to meet tapering. So this week I'll do 307.5 for 5 on ID, which will be a PR for 5 reps. But is it really a PR, having done 360 paused at a meet, 330 for 5 singles, 315 for 3x3 easily etc...I dunno? Sorta but not really. I'll get what I can get out of 5's, then switch to 5 singles, and rotate a 3RM (and maybe a back-off 3) in for a few weeks every so often. I suspect 5's will get hard sooner rather than later - 305x5 wasn't easy already.

For the Press, it'll take a while, as I regressed some on my press while focusing on benching. I did 192.5x5,5,4 twice in my LP, but couldn't get 195x5 even once. I'll be at least 6 pressing weeks before I get to 195x5 again.