starting strength gym
Page 149 of 443 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Yup, got forward. But still strong reps.

Where are you?

The triples looked good man. Definitely plenty left there-- looks like you had 5's for sure. Congrats on your progress back.

I want to be as strong as you, and I'm not. Keep hammering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Where are you?

Huh?

The triples looked good man. Definitely plenty left there-- looks like you had 5's for sure. Congrats on your progress back.
    Thanks man. My main limiting factor with 5s is (usually) that on a limit or near limit set of 5 attempt, my form starts breaking down so bad that I miss because of that, rather than it being too heavy. Obviously that's something to work on, but given that, I should make better progress with 3s, 2s, and 1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    I want to be as strong as you, and I'm not. Keep hammering.
    Keep hammering to both of us. That's what she said.

First decent upper body day in quite a while. I still used light weights, but my shoulder felt and feels better today. It's still irritated when I do certain things, but I can't remember the last time that pressing and benching (not completely light weights) didn't seem to bother it at all. I'm greedy and want it to be 100% right now, but I'll take this step forward for the moment.

Bench Press
    265x5,5,8
    Notes: Added 10 lbs to last time; still easy, moving fast. I've definitely detrained some in the bench, but erectors were still the hardest part here. Definitely could have gotten at least 10 if not more on the 3rd set.

Press
    185x5x3, 145x10
    Notes: Didn't focus well on the first set, was a little slow. Blew the next two out of the water. Then a back off.

Weighted Chins
    BW+40 x 5,5,5
    Notes: What is it with these chin/dip belt chains being so short?! Very, ummmm...uncomfortable, but got them done. Glad to be using a reasonable addition of weight to my chins now. I'm no chin-master, but at my bodyweight, chinning sets of 5 with a 45 plate hanging off me isn't pathetically weak.

DB Rows
    100x10, 110x10, 120x10

DB Curls
    50x8

All in all happy about my shoulder. I really wish the damn thing would just be better, but if this is a permanent step in the right direction, I'll take it.

Also enjoyed watching Sarah hit some hard fought benches, presses, and chins. I'm really going to miss her.

Good to see your upper body training getting back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I'm really going to miss her.
    The sentiment is mutual...

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Good to see your upper body training getting back on track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_la_Rosa View Post
    The sentiment is mutual...
    спасибо, товарищи.

Good day today. Squats were easy and (mostly) with good control and form. Power cleans sucked, but less so than Friday.

Squat
    410x5x4, 395x5
    Notes:
    I am shocked at how easy this workout was. 5-6 min rest between sets, but could have been less if I needed it to be. Set 1 was all over the place, but set 2 might have been the best heavy set of 5 I've ever done, and the rest were pretty good too. Happy about this, especially since 410x5x5 is the weight I hurt my back on in September. While I could look negatively at the fact that I first did this weight for 5x5 10 months ago, I'm happy to be back and it was much easier this time than any of the previous.

I think next week I'll do 415x5x3, and begin the alternating 3x5 / 5x5 experiment.

Power Clean
    135x3, 160x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3x4
    Notes: Having done that one power clean workout fairly fresh a couple weeks ago, I now officially hate doing them after heavy squats. I'm just so much more sluggish in general. I did a couple of the 225 sets with a clean pull first, as it was helping me be patient and not jump early as well as keep the bar against my legs better. I called it a day here on the last set, when my elbows were so slow that I literally caught the bar in the press position. I knew I was toast and that more would be useless.

C2 Erg - 20 / 1:40 x 8 (2 warmup, 6 intervals)
    Paces: 1:56, 1:39, 1:30, 1:24, 1:23, 1:22, 1:23, 1:24
    Notes: Sarah stole my rower, so I used an old shitty one. No matter how hard I rowed, I couldn't get the thing below 1:20 for a single stroke, so I know it was the rower that was slowing my pace, not me. Since I'm doing this for conditioning, now rowing, it's not really a big deal.

Also, this conversation may have occurred after my 5th set of squats:
    Sarah: Those were a little deep, but not so much that I felt the need to say anything or cue you on them.
    Wolf: That's funny, that set particularly I was worried they weren't deep enough.
    Sarah: That's always how you are
    Wolf: Is it in there?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Great pull for Mother Russia, Wolf!

I was hearing this playing in the background while you were doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owc1wKcy8fs