starting strength gym
Page 16 of 443 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    Might you have a non FaceBook link?
    Unfortunately, no. I saw the contest in a magazine ad, with the website listed to submit your idea as AGentlemansCall.com. When I went there, it immediately became a facebook page. I guess Ketel One is doing this as a way to increase their visibility and marketing network within social media/facebook...which is fine with me, as long as they're still giving away the 100k. But long story short, unfortunately that's the only link there is.

Default Thwarted ComeBack Attempt: 7/4/12

Happy Independence Day, all!

I guess I’m not as recovered as I thought/hoped. I have been feeling better steadily and thought to make a go of it today at weights significantly lighter than working weight, but enough to get me back in the swing of things. Didn't go as planned.

Warmed up and squats felt ok at 135 and 225, but 275 felt significantly heavier than usual, even considering the circumstances.
    Went to 315 and did a set of 5. They were slow and felt heavy so I didn’t move up for ramping sets. I can usually do 315 in my sleep, it’s part of my warmup for fuck’s sake, and it felt like full on working weight. I decided any more work would be a bad idea and set my recovery back so just did 315*5*3 squats and called it a day. No bench, no DL, no chins, no conditioning.

This cannot end soon enough.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 07-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.

you will be back at 100% in no time.

Feeling any better?

I'm like you, never, ever sick - but when I do get sick...oh boy.

Wishing you some get-well powers...

Thanks again to everyone for the "get well soon, son!" wishes. The plague struck Thursday, June 28 and it wasn't really till this past Thursday, July 5 that I felt myself again. I decided to take a few days to eat everything in sight and sleep as much as I could, to regain some of the strength and vigor I'm sure I lost, before lifting again.

So tomorrow will be my first day back in the gym (other than my ill-fated attempt on Weds) since Tuesday, June 26. I'm not looking forward to climbing back up, but it is what it is. Gotta appreciate that it could've been a lot worse.

Edit: changed my mind. Gonna lift Mon/Wed/Fri this week so I can get my squat back on track sooner. Deload on Bench and Press means I should be able to do both each day anyway.

Mon
    Squat 3 ramping sets starting at 275 - will go up depending on how it feels
    Bench 3 ramping sets starting at 255
    DL 1 set of 5 @ 405
    Press 3 ramping sets starting at 145

Wed
    Squat 3 ramping sets based off Mon
    Press 3 ramping sets based off Mon
    Bench 3 ramping sets based off Mon
    Chins 3 sets

Fri
    Squat 3 ramping sets based off Weds
    Bench 3 ramping sets based off Weds
    Power Cleans 5 ramping sets of 3: 135, 155, 175, 195, 215
    Press 3 ramping sets based off Weds

Will do a bit of conditioning after all lifts completed, on all 3 days.

Then go to sets across next week, weights based on how my ramping sets feel and how recovery goes this week.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 07-08-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: changed my mind

Default Comeback Monday

Today didn't go exactly as planned, or as well as I wanted it to go. But at least it went, which is more than I can say for the past two weeks, so that's good.

The biggest thing that was weird is the qualitative difference in my strength. When something is heavy for me, I can always tell that it's heavy because it's close to the limit of my strength. I'm producing as much force as I can, but it's only just barely enough to get the weight up. Today, in contrast, when things were harder or heavier than I expected, it was because I felt like I was unable to produce the force I know I'm capable ofproducing. It was a very weird feeling, the first time I can ever remember feeling this way as a lifter, and i did not like it at all. Hopefully it'll be gone by Wednesday, or at least significantly improved.

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x5, 295x5, 305x5 - 295 felt a bit harder than expected, so only went to 305. It was OK but a little slow considering how light it is for me.

Bench Press
    135x5x2, 185x5, 225x2, 245x5x3 - after feeling 225, decided to only do 245 instead of 255. Probably a good move, 245 felt way harder than it ought to have, and the last rep of set #3 was actually legit hard. That's where I really felt what I described above, my inability to tap in to the force production I know I have. At 245. Fuckin A.

Deadlift - at least these went as planned
    135x5, 225x2, 315x1, 405x5 - not as easy as they'd usually be, but not too hard and never any doubt about these.

Press
    95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 145x5x2
    Pleasantly surprised by how hard these weren't, considering everything else today.

Finished with 2 each 400m and 200m runs. Did the 400m's at barely more than a jog, a little over 7mph. Did the 200m's at about 8.5mph. Still slow but at least I did them.

Hopefully Weds will be better.

I can relate to what you are talking about, but seem (unfortunately) to have more experience with it. Perhaps because I'm older and feel my resets more intensely... Regardless, you described what I was feeling today. 9 days ago I did 285x5x5 on my squat, without a belt and felt strong. Today I felt like it was slogging through butter for 3 sets. Perhaps I should have dropped the weight by 10 pounds (or more), but I figured having a belt and doing only 3 sets would be plenty of an advantage. It was not. It was really hard and it seemed like I could not drive up like I normally do....

Anyway, resetting, being sick and generally having to take a step or two backwards sucks, but that is the way of the strength warrior-- there's no avoiding it. I think a couple of workouts will re-invigorate and hopefully we'll both see the snappiness return.
    Last edited by Rob Israel; 07-10-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    I can relate to what you are talking about, but seem (unfortunately) to have more experience with it. Perhaps because I'm older and feel my resets more intensely... Regardless, you described what I was feeling today. 9 days ago I did 285x5x5 on my squat, without a belt and felt strong. Today I felt like it was slogging through butter for 3 sets. Perhaps I should have dropped the weight by 10 pounds (or more), but I figured having a belt and doing only 3 sets would be plenty of an advantage. It was not. It was really hard and it seemed like I could not drive up like I normally do....

Anyway, resetting, being sick and generally having to take a step or two backwards sucks, but that is the way of the strength warrior-- there's no avoiding it. I think a couple of workouts will re-invigorate and hopefully we'll both see the snappiness return.
    Ya it's all a big bummer when you have to reset, especially when you just did a re-set and were finally back where you were before (as I was in my squat) and looking forward to moving forward and setting new PRs. A bummer, but I can deal with it. What really threw me was this weird 'weakness' feeling of not being able to tap into my strength in a normal way. I'm attributing it to a lingering effect of whatever it was I got sick with, and assume it will be either be gone by my lift today, or at least be going away. But it' was a weird feeling, not one I hope to ever feel again.

Here's to the return of snappiness!

Default Weds, 7/11/12

starting strength coach development program
    Still climbing back up the mountain. Still can't believe how much being sick took out of me.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 195x3, 245x2, 295x5, 315x5, 330x5
    I was hoping for better today, but had to take what I could get. The 330 obviously felt way harder than it should have, but I did have some of the snappiness back. Not all, but some.

Press
    45x5, 95x5, 115x3, 135x2, 155x5x3
    Pretty good, considering I didn't rest too long here (2.5-3 mins tops, didn't keep exact time).

Chins
    9,8,6 - eh.

Forgot my shoes that I run in (NB Minimus Trainers), so did 4 intervals on the C2 Rower: 200m/1:20 rest @ 1:47, 1:45, 1:44, 1:43. Was planning on 5, but the 4th one toasted me. Called it a day.

Enjoyed attending/spectating at the CFSB Total tonight too. Rob and Michele - you were very patient in allowing me to run my mouth about my finding a possible spot for the first black iron gym in Manhattan. I hope my excitement turns into reality and this isn't for naught!