starting strength gym
Page 165 of 443 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Despite post-seminar-itis (severe lack of sleep, odd eating patterns, and way more alcohol than usual), I had a great workout today at CFSB before heading back home for my evening clients. I was worried I'd have to scale way back today, but I guess training sick last week got me used to sub-optimal conditions.
    Thanks to David O for being a great host all weekend and letting me train there twice, and it was really fun hanging out with Jeremy, too. Always good to see the coaching staff and crew there, too. A lot of SSCs.

Press
    230x4, 230x3 - PR (I think)
    Notes:
    Planned on two triples, but felt I had a bit more gas in the tank on the first set so did a very slow fourth rep. Rested extra after that for the second set.

Bench Press
    325x5x5
    Notes:
    Ties my best 5x5, I believe. Still not as strong in the bench as last time I was at this weight, but at least I'm doing it. First two sets with no hand-off, but that was getting really hard. Luckily the CFSB coaches meeting was over after that, so I grabbed Jeremy for a hand off for the last 3 sets. Don't think I could have done 5x5 at this weight without one.

Only very minor shoulder weakness/discomfort. Seems to be getting slightly better week over week.

Weighted Chins
    BW+50 x 5 x 4
    BW+35 x 5 x 2
    Notes:
    No cable row or plate loaded for, and didn't want to fry my back before Volume Squat Day with Bent Over Rows or DB Rows, so did extra weighted chins. Since I suspect some of you doubt a man of my girth can actually do these, I video'd them for your entertainment pleasure. Before set two there's a message for Gillian in there, and you also get some Double Meat action as well as random chatter between Jeremy and I between sets.

They're not super strict, and my feet start on the floor for the first rep of each set, but I get over the bar.

EZ Curl Bar OH Tricep Extensions
    Bar + 90 x 10 x 2
    Notes: Much to my surprise, CFSB has an EZ Curl bar. Ya, bros!

Band External Rotations
    1/2" band x15x3

All in all this workout which normally would take me about 1:45, took me 2:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    All in all this workout which normally would take me about 1:45, took me 2:50.
    Not sure that's exactly gonna equal Jordan's gym time, but it sure looks like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Not sure that's exactly gonna equal Jordan's gym time, but it sure looks like fun!
    Seriously! Freakin Jordan...

Tough day today. Still very far from recovered from the weekend. Very tired. Felt weak, slow, sluggish, and everything kinda hurt. But I got through everything, somehow, except I scaled back conditioning due to lack of energy and lack of time.

Squat
    430x5x5
    Notes:
    Had to squat on a rack right in front of a mirror today; I used to do this all the time and was used to it but have been spoiled since they moved my favorite rack away from the mirror. So having the mirror there really distracted me; once again, I need to get better at focusing on my spot.

These felt so slow and loose and bad from the get-go that I was sure every rep was an ugly grind. I filmed the 3rd set, and they were fine. So I just shrugged my shoulders and finished the last two. Sometimes things feel way worse than they are when you're beat.

Power Clean
    45x5, 95x3, 125x2, 155x2, 185x2, 205x2, 225x2, 240x1, 255x1
    Clean Pull
    315x2, 345x2, 375x2x2
    Notes: Had to rest A LOT after the squats and still felt tired and very sluggish here. Not explosive at all today, but still managed to get some decent work in.

C2 Intervals
    30/1:40 x 6 - all around a 1:40 pace
    Notes: Only did 6 because I ran out of time. Once again, I took a lot longer than usual today. Got through squats just fine but really slowed after that. Had to get back for a 6pm session. Went slow because I had no gas left and still recovering from the weekend. Hopefully I'll be back on track with conditioning on Friday.

Had some minor bicep tendon and shoulder irritation today, and elbows still tweaky, but a good training day overall. My old training partner Ryan (from September - November) is going to be back with me sometimes. It was nice to not worry about getting a good hand off.

Bench Press
    350x5 - matches PR
    Notes
    : Much harder than it ought to be, and last time around, but still matches my best set of 5 in the bench. 6 weeks ago, if you had told me I'd be back up to 350x5 I'd have been thrilled, so I shouldn't complain about how weak, relatively, it feels. Shut up, Wolf.

Press
    201.5x5x5 - PR
    Notes:
    First time over 200 for press volume, feels good to be over that mountain. Other than losing focus on the 4th rep of a couple sets, these went well. I was working in with Ryan, who was using light weight coming back from a long lay-off, so on the first set the 25 plates were on the inside, so we could be lazy about changing plates. We just did the whole change every set after that.

Chins
    Notes: Just missed getting my chin over the bar on the last one. Dammit! I was toast by then. Very tired on chins today, needed some extra swinging around to get my numbers.

Seated Cable Row
    220x9x2

DB Bicep Curlz
    55x9, 50x8 (didn't rest much between sets)

Cable External Rotations
    7.5x15x3

Nice pr man !

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Yeah it was nice. Hope to have a similar upper body recovery as you are currently having. Glad things are coming around for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Shut up, Wolf.
    Seriously. You set two PR's and you are complaining that they didn't feel great? Especially after a drunken weekend a few days ago. For most of us mere mortals, PR's usually feel pretty hard.

Congrats on these new marks especially given the trials you've been through with all the tweaks. Year of the Wolf.

Hah! I'm officially rowing faster than you!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Nice pr man !
    Thanks dood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Yeah it was nice. Hope to have a similar upper body recovery as you are currently having. Glad things are coming around for you.
    I hope you do, too. I'm rooting for you. You have the capability to hit a 500 raw bench in competition, I'd love to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Seriously. You set two PR's and you are complaining that they didn't feel great? Especially after a drunken weekend a few days ago. For most of us mere mortals, PR's usually feel pretty hard.

Congrats on these new marks especially given the trials you've been through with all the tweaks. Year of the Wolf.
    YEAR OF THE MOTHERFUCKING WOLF!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Archenbronn View Post
    Hah! I'm officially rowing faster than you!
    Oh it's so on now. I'm going to destroy and blitz tomorrow. After squatting 500 for doubles and DLing singles up to (I hope) 615, I'm going to leave you in the freakin' dirt. You've never seen me get competitive because I haven't ever had any competition when we were training together. But now it's so on. 20/1:40 @ 1:20 pace.