starting strength gym
Page 166 of 443 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    But now it's so on. 20/1:40 @ 1:20 pace.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Classic Kenny Powers!!

btw, I'm watching the very first episode of GOT now. Now I know what a Direwolf is.

Rough day today. I felt fine coming in, but my energy quickly dwindled for some reason; more accurately, I never really got it properly ramped up, and then it dwindled from there to an even lower ebb. I did reclaim my squat PR, barely, but couldn't get anything much going after that.

Squat
    500x2x3 - PR
    Notes
    : Last time I was here, June 2013, I could only get a single on the third set. I knew I had to do this, considering how much stronger my squat is now than then, I needed to express it. Despite some numbnuts attempting to ruin my third set by walking right next to my moving bar to get the 2.5lb plate he obviously needed right the fuck that second, and not 10 seconds later (and which he could have gotten from a half dozen other plate trees that were about 5 seconds further walk away), I made it. You can see him walk right next to me between rep 1 and 2 on the last set in the vid. I got WAY on my toes on the last rep, because of focusing / worrying about that guy rather than the bar, but I recovered and made it.

Deadlift
    545x1, 575x1, 595xf called it there
    Notes: Energy levels just plummeted after the squats. I couldn't get any mental energy going, and everything felt heavy and slow as molasses. 575 felt like 605, and I couldn't break 595 from the ground. Just have to trust the process. Planning on 505 for squat doubles and a top DL set of 580x3 next week, and then a deload week.

C2 Erg Intervals
    20s Row/1:40 rest x 9
    Paces: 1:53.6, 1:35.2, 1:25.4, 1:23.3, 1:24.0, 1:20.6, 1:23.3, 1:24.0, 1:24.0
    Notes: God dammit, I didn't slaughter these as I intended. Just had no energy left. An hour thirty after finishing the rows, I still feel sluggish.

Might just be still recovering from last weekend; normally I'd be recovered by now but I resumed some real hard training with both volume and intensity PRs in upper and lower body lifts, immediately after seminar weekend. Might just need more time to bounce back.

Unfortunately I'm working full days both Saturday and Sunday this week (The demand for Starting Strength Coaching in the city has really ramped up and my coaching schedule is over-full), but at least I will get a massage tomorrow after 7 hours of coaching.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-02-2014 at 04:09 PM.

I'll bet you wanted to run that dickhead down and feed him that 2.5 plate. Nice restraint. Anyway, congrats on the PR! Very strong.

Nice work, Wolf. You are looking really solid and strong on these.

I always assume that someone who walks around me when I'm doing a heavy SQ or clean doesn't have any experience with those types of moves and doesn't realize how distracting and potentially dangerous it can be. I've had people walk with three feet of my backside when squatting in the 350+ range and not in a rack. You may have to start doing some Mr. Miyagi zen exercises to prepare yourself for the environment in which you have to live and workout.

btw, I'm watching the very first episode of GOT now. Now I know what a Direwolf is.
    Good work, Steve. For you poor saps who haven't seen it:

I'll bet you wanted to run that dickhead down and feed him that 2.5 plate. Nice restraint. Anyway, congrats on the PR! Very strong.
    Ya, I was pissed. But it's not exactly the type of place where what I do is normal, and a rage-out on the guy would likely result in trouble I don't need, so I just shut it down. But goddamn did I want to clobber him with his weenie plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Nice work, Wolf. You are looking really solid and strong on these.

I always assume that someone who walks around me when I'm doing a heavy SQ or clean doesn't have any experience with those types of moves and doesn't realize how distracting and potentially dangerous it can be. I've had people walk with three feet of my backside when squatting in the 350+ range and not in a rack. You may have to start doing some Mr. Miyagi zen exercises to prepare yourself for the environment in which you have to live and workout.
    Thanks, Walter. And yes, the guy undoubtedly was clueless rather than purposely antagonistic. Most people, as you say, have no idea what a heavy squat is like and why walking right beside or in front of someone doing it is a problem. But, I do appeal to common sense. The guy is a gym goer. If you see someone with a stack of 45s on the bar about the lift it, common sense suggests you not get close to that moving object or person until the set is racked. I think this is an issue everywhere, but even more so in NYC, where people are used to having to take what they can get when they can get it, or else someone else will step in front of them and take it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

Ya, I was pissed. But it's not exactly the type of place where what I do is normal, and a rage-out on the guy would likely result in trouble I don't need, so I just shut it down. But goddamn did I want to clobber him with his weenie plate.

Thanks, Walter. And yes, the guy undoubtedly was clueless rather than purposely antagonistic. Most people, as you say, have no idea what a heavy squat is like and why walking right beside or in front of someone doing it is a problem. But, I do appeal to common sense. The guy is a gym goer. If you see someone with a stack of 45s on the bar about the lift it, common sense suggests you not get close to that moving object or person until the set is racked. I think this is an issue everywhere, but even more so in NYC, where people are used to having to take what they can get when they can get it, or else someone else will step in front of them and take it first.
    It really happens everywhere. I had to run interference for Tom when he was squatting 415 yesterday night. (Before I did some guy walked directly in front of him, in his line of vision, moving a table for an event they are holding this week.) And this is a CrossFit he has been working/lifting at for years.

People can just be clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Archenbronn View Post
    It really happens everywhere. I had to run interference for Tom when he was squatting 415 yesterday night. (Before I did some guy walked directly in front of him, in his line of vision, moving a table for an event they are holding this week.) And this is a CrossFit he has been working/lifting at for years.

People can just be clueless.
    Ya, I remember that happening A LOT in the one night I lifted with Tom at Crossfit Oakland. (In case anyone forgot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxiZpRYa_U). I agree it happens everywhere, but I do suspect people in more urban areas in general, and NYC in particular, are going to be more "me-focused" and less aware of getting in other people's space. But maybe not, maybe all of humanity is just a clueless bunch of fools.

starting strength coach development program
    Another busy day at the gym. Place used to be practically empty in the early afternoon, now benches and squat racks are hard to come by. If only people were actually using them correctly, and for the purpose they were intended and built.

Press
    233x3x2 - PR
    Notes:
    First set was rough. The third rep took forever, almost ran out of air. Focused better for the second set and it was better.

Bench Press
    327x5x5 - volume PR
    Notes
    : Really good to be up at this level of volume work. Last rep got slow on set 4 and especially 5, but it kept moving.

Weighted Chins
    BW+50x4, BW+45x5,5,6
    Notes
    : I actually planned on doing 50x6x3 after doing 50x5x4 last week, but for some reason I didn't have it today. Only got four @ 50, so took off 5 lbs and did the next three sets.

Hammer Strength Plate Loaded High Row
    180/side (4x45) x 12 x 3
    Notes: These felt much easier than usual so did 3x12.

Finished with cable external rotations and bottoms up KB Carries for rotator.