starting strength gym
Page 179 of 443 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229279 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ah ok, thanks for the detailed answer.
    So in the starting position your back is extended but you slightly round it as you pull.

What's the sligth back angle change at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbe9Nh32h1k#t=29? Is that from the rounding or something else?

Basically, though I wouldn't say that I (implying actively) slightly round it; the weight pulls me from extension into some flexion despite my attempts to stay in extension.

What you're seeing in the vid is me rocking back to mid-foot to start the pull. Prior to that, my weight is shifted a bit forward of mid-foot.

Wolf could you explain where your idea of 700 in 4 weeks comes from? Was that 600 triple what you would consider submaximal? Because otherwise it seems a pretty big leap to 700. I mean no disrespect but I feel like I must be missing something.

Edit: reread your post, is it partly because you get a lot more from mixed grip?
    Last edited by kel; 06-14-2014 at 11:13 AM.

The third rep of the 600 was challenging but not a grind or maximal. Without taking a stopwatch to it, it looks like it took between 4-5 seconds, compared to 7-8 seconds for my final rep at 575 two weeks ago. If I had wanted to, I'm pretty sure I could have done a 4th rep, though that one would have been a literal bone-on-bone limit rep and probably taken 8-9 seconds.

Based on my last couple months of pulling (a very strong and fast 565x5 and 585x4, a harder 575x5, and this 600x3), compared to what I've done in the past (615 non grinder (~4 second) single at a meet when my previous best set of 5 was 520, and recent best 5 was 505), and 700 seems possible. Certainly not a foregone conclusion, but if I'm having a good day, it should fall.

Part of the reason for this is because I train on a 29mm stiff bar, and RPS uses a 27mm deadlift bar at their meets. If the meet was with a 29mm stiff bar, I would probably be looking at something more like 650-670ish for my best deadlift.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Ah, scoliosis, I know thee. Due to bulging discs, I'm going to be reverse hypering routinely. I've considered twisting a bit to give my weaker side more work. Worth it?

Great work, Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by medwards View Post
    I've considered twisting a bit to give my weaker side more work. Worth it?
    You mean while deadlifting? No, I don't think this is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    You mean while deadlifting? No, I don't think this is a good idea.
    I meant during the reverse hypers.

Quote Originally Posted by medwards View Post
    Ah, scoliosis, I know thee. Due to bulging discs, I'm going to be reverse hypering routinely. I've considered twisting a bit to give my weaker side more work. Worth it?
    My feeling is that any weighted movement should not involve twists. Think about the mechanics of the spine and pressure this puts on the disks. I'm of the school that any articulation of the spine should not be done in a repetitive exercise (like sit-ups) and definitely not done with a twisting motion (like russian twists for instance). This is just setting the stage for more bulging or herniated disks.

I'm curious though why the reverse hypers for the bulging disk? What's the mechanism that that exercise is going to help with that diagnosis?

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    My feeling is that any weighted movement should not involve twists. Think about the mechanics of the spine and pressure this puts on the disks. I'm of the school that any articulation of the spine should not be done in a repetitive exercise (like sit-ups) and definitely not done with a twisting motion (like russian twists for instance). This is just setting the stage for more bulging or herniated disks.

I'm curious though why the reverse hypers for the bulging disk? What's the mechanism that that exercise is going to help with that diagnosis?
    I meant the unweighted kind, but they're recommend here repeatedly by Steve Hill, among others, and Louie Simmons Ina lengthy article.

Edit:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=25148
    Last edited by medwards; 06-14-2014 at 07:01 PM.