starting strength gym
Page 18 of 443 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    That's how I roll.

But check out this "extra" reel from the project.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2242524354

I'm envious that you got to go to the movie premier and meet Cheryl and get to hang out with fellow NYC lifters. I miss NYC. I will be up from August 9th through August 13th. I think we should arrange a meeting (workout and or drinks) of the NY gang.

The documentary is going to be on PBS - you should look up when it'll be playing in your area.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/strong/ (see "About the Film" area, and click the "Check TV listings" link.)

Maybe the evening after A's meet we should get together for some beverages.

Thanks Michele. Set it up with Alissa. Mac and I will be there for sure. I think Rob will owe Mac a Heineken by then for their squat race.

Michele, is that one of your "available" weekends?

even if it weren't, i'd make it so for Gillian and Mac

Today, 2.5 weeks after I felt recovered from the plague I contracted, I finally felt the strength and the elusive SNAP back in my lifts. It wasn't quite 100%, but it was the first time I could really feel it significantly since going down 3.5 weeks ago. It's good to have the old friend back.

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 195x3, 255x2, 315x1, 365x5x3
    Hard, but had a bit more gas in the tank, which felt great. Rested ~4mins between sets. On the 3rd set, I came really far forward on reps 2 and 5, much further than I ever do - to the point where I actually came up off my heels for a moment on both reps. This is very strange for me as it's not a problem I ever have, so I'll chalk it up to 'one of those weird things' that happens occasionally and not worry about it. Both of those reps went up strong, too, and weren't the hardest reps of the day. So ok.

Bench Press
    135x5x2, 185x3, 225x2, 265x5x3
    Still felt harder than it ought to, but stronger than the previous 3 bench days of 245, 255, 260. Once again, it seemed like my triceps were the weak point and the top of the lift/lockout was hardest for me. I've never, ever in my life (until coming back from the plague) struggled with locking out anything I could get past my sticking point in either the bench or the press, so trying to figure this one out. If it doesn't go away on it's own before long, I'll have to add some tricep assistance work, which would be hella weird. And I never say "hella" so you know it's weird.

Deadlift
    155x3, 245x2, 335x1, 430x5
    Eh. Harder than I expected. My DL seemed to suffer least so far in my comeback, so I was disappointed this was as hard as it was. I probably could have done 440 or 445 if I had to, but would have really had to gut it out. Compare to the relatively easy and smooth 445x5 I did for Rip at the seminar in April, which was not even close to limit. So I still have a lot of work to do.

Finished with 6 sprints of 200m, working up from 7.8 on the first one to 9.5 by the last.

Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    even if it weren't, i'd make it so for Gillian and Mac
    But not for me and Cara, eh? I'm so butthurt I might have to cry a little. ha! I crack myself up.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 07-25-2012 at 03:13 PM.

This was supposed to happen yesterday but...life. So, today.

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 195x3, 255x2, 315x1, 370x5x3
    Felt the snap even more back in my lifts today. Good, solid work. Rested ~4+mins between work sets.

Press
    45x5, 95x5, 120x3, 145x2, 170x5x3
    Didn't feel tricep weakness right before and at lockout, so that's good.

Chins

Got to use an actual straight bar (the gym I currently usually lift at only has those stupid angled handle things off their power racks and cable crossovers), and was harder than usual. Still, decent considering.

Sprints - 200m/1:30 walk, 6x going from 7.6 on the first to 9.6 on the last. Still not fast by a long shot, but getting better.

Then I coached my GF in the squat and press. This weekend is our 2nd dating anniversary, and when we first met 2 years ago, I started courting and flirting with her via offering to train her. She played DIII Basketball and Lacrosse in college so had a strength coach there, then worked in a few different gyms with a few different trainers, then me 2 years ago (who coached differently/not as well as I do now), then a couple more trainers since we trained/flirted together in the infamous summer of 2010. So she had a lot of unpacking of different habits to do.

BUT:
    1. We made it through without killing each other, and with only 1 or 2 awkwardly tense moments - which is good considering the boyfriend/girlfriend dynamic
    and
    2. She picked up the squat and press solidly. Main squat issues are stronger voluntary hip drive (she seems to be holding back for some reason) and knees out. In the press, just trusting that she's far back enough that she won't hit her face so she can aim for her nose.

Cara's almost 6' tall and a strong girl so she should be squatting 200+ for sets of 5 pretty soon (we worked up to 145x5x4 today, which was below her true working weight).

Now for anniversary dinner time. Then maybe Dark Knight Rises???

Cool beans on coaching your girlfriend. I coach my wife a little bit, but try to stay out of the way since she has a coach. Tonight I'll be helping get back under the bar after a two week break.

Dark Knight Rises was fun. Maybe I'm getting old, but at the IMAX it was loud.

Good to see your squat working back up there and happy anniversary!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    Cool beans on coaching your girlfriend. I coach my wife a little bit, but try to stay out of the way since she has a coach. Tonight I'll be helping get back under the bar after a two week break.

Dark Knight Rises was fun. Maybe I'm getting old, but at the IMAX it was loud.

Good to see your squat working back up there and happy anniversary!
    Ya, it's definitely touchy, but Cara doesn't have a coach so I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes, and we mostly avoided the awkwardness that can happen when you try to coach a significant other. It's funny/ironic, because she's the GM of a fitness club with about 40 trainers employed there, but not one of them can teach her how to do the SS Lifts, so she asked me. Smart girl.

Now she downloaded SS:BBT3 on her iPad and has been reading it for at least 3 hours already today. Plus we watched the 53kg women O-lifters for an hour today. I'm beaming!

We went to anniversary dinner at our favorite Sushi place in the city (Fusha on 75th/Amsterdam), and then 16 Handles, and then Dark Knight Rises afterwards. Great movie, we both really liked it.

I saw The Dark Knight in IMAX back in 2008, and also found it really loud, FWIW.

Oh, and finally forgot to add: I tore my boxer briefs during my first set of 370x5 yesterday. Felt em rip during the 2nd or 3rd rep. I haven't PR'd my squat in over 2 months due to meet deloading and then getting sick, so it was good to know at least my ass is still getting bigger. Here's photo evidence:
    Ripped Boxers.jpg