starting strength gym
Page 182 of 443 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by medwards View Post
    I know nothing of your fair city except what I've seen on cop shows. Seems their always finding stuff hidden in storage units, and they seem huge on the shows. TV has let me down again.
    Cop shows, man. What can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Man. How tall are you ? Cause if you went from 235 to 265 and your dead went from 445+ to 575 i may need to rethink my diet ! Cause my 5rm dead is under 500 and I'm 240ish now. Your log is always helpful man !
    Ha! Thanks man. I'm 6' tall. I was (I think, memory may be fuzzy) 237-238 at the time of that seminar. I don't really weigh myself regularly or consistently now, but estimating based on what I get with shoes/clothes/etc on I think I'm 263-266 now. So 25-30lbs of total weight gain, some of which is definitely fat. But plenty of gainz in there, too. My guess is if I was at the same bf% now as I was at that time, I'd probably weigh in the 250-255 range but that's just a guess.

Your dead may need some work, but your bench is sick.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

My bench is getting there. Wanted 405 for my birthday. May aim for a touch and go Friday. If I have to go to 260 to get a 700 lbs dead I will. I even added clean pulls as an idea based on your log. Heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    My bench is getting there. Wanted 405 for my birthday. May aim for a touch and go Friday. If I have to go to 260 to get a 700 lbs dead I will. I even added clean pulls as an idea based on your log. Heh heh
    Judging by your volume work though, you should get there and beyond soon.

I had something funny to post after the "rough day" post but I lost internetivity. The joke ended with "nice work going on here" so I'll leave it at This: Super solid, keep it going! I'm cheering for you and looking forward to seeing you compete. (when you'll actually hear me cheer for you!)

Another rough one. Not sure if it's just a bad couple of days, if all this scenery change and uncertainty is causing me stress, or if it's an indication of a programming issue. I tend towards a mixture of 1 and 2 considering how great everything was going until very recently; it would be unusual, if it were a programming issue, to fall off the cliff so quickly. Not unheard of though, which is why I am still unsure. I'll just have to pay attention and adjust accordingly and as my schedule allows.

Press
    235x2x2
    Notes
    : What. The. Fuck. Got this for two triples last cycle. Today I was thinking two sets of 4, or at leas 4,3; but it felt like a ton. Missed an attempted third rep on both sets. The first set was close, the second not even. Upset.

Bench
    335x5,5,5,4,5
    Notes
    : These also felt bad and heavy from the get-go, especially as I recall nailing 333x5x5 quite strongly - challenging, but all solid no-doubt reps - last week. The last rep was slow even on the first couple sets. I was determined to push through but then set 4 was a shit show. My bar path was all over the place in both the sagittal and the frontal planes. I missed the 5th rep because I touched so far down on my torso (below my pecs) that I couldn't recover. I was determined to squeeze something good out of the day, so I rallied and did 5 reps on the last set, though rep 5 almost stalled at my sticking point.

BW Rows (barbell in rack at just below waist height)
    Notes
    : After my pressing problems, I felt like it would be wiser to do something less stressful and allow recovery from this debacle. So instead of walking over to the gym to do chins and rows and biceps, just did 6 sets of bodyweight rows using the bar in the rack and called it a day.

I feel better after the rows and after making that last set of 5 bench presses. Hopefully this is just a passing thing and I'm ready for next week, when the taper starts in earnest. Depending how I feel tomorrow, I may hold off intensity squats and deficit pulls till Saturday.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-19-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Pushed off yesterday's stuff till today due to Thursday's bad performance and feeling blagh in general. Felt a bit better today though still not like I had my A-Game. But then the thick bumpers threw me off again. Big time. It's probably just a matter of not being used to it, or not ramping my weights up with these thicker plates, so adjusting to the bar whip as things got heavier. But whatever the cause, it's really throwing me off.

Squat
    509x1 (failed 2nd rep), 520x1 - PR, 487x2
    Notes
    : Fucking A. Seriously Fucking A. Technically 520 is a PR, but after doubling 515 last week and all my previous intensity work, this is a big let-down.

I could really feel the bar oscillation at these heavier weights, and the plates were loaded pretty close to the end of the bar, probably 5" further out than with all iron plates. At this weight, that distance from where the bar sits on my back makes a noticeable and appreciable bend in the bar during the squat, and it's just totally fucking me up. No way in hell I miss a double at 509 right now, or have 487x2 be a grind. Fucking A. Though the angle of the video doesn't let you really see the bar from behind, you can still see the bend and whip happen at various points, i.e. when unracking, out of the hole, at lockout. I feel it on the descent, too.

Under normal circumstances I'd be frustrated but just deal with it. But this close to a meet, it's especially frustrating to make this kind of adjustment and I really have no idea how my adjusted weights are going to translate come meet day. On the one hand, even with a little less weight, I'm working just as hard to make the rep. On the other, the weight on the bar is still less. I don't think there's any way to know for sure exactly how this translates come meet day with a super stiff bar, even if we did have perfect clarity on the science behind motor unit recruitment in these kinds of circumstances.

tl;dr - I'm frustrated.

520x1:

487x2:

Deficit Deadlift
    429x5 - 2" deficit
    462x5 - 1" deficit
    Notes
    : Both of these felt hard, but the vid of the 462 looked fairly fast. I didn't set my back well for all 5 reps though, which is kind of the point of this work. And they were also a bit all over the place in terms of bar path and keeping on my shins. Just kind of a shit show all around. I was still pissed about the squats and let that get into my head.

Sled Pushes
    Sled + 25kg x 8 round trips
    Rest was 1 minute after the first 4, then 1:05, 1:10, 1:15.
    Notes: Between the friction one the floor with the carpet that's attached under the sled and the 25kg, this felt like the right resistance, even though it seems stupidly light. Lowering rest also helped. Felt like I actually did some conditioning today.

But, PR! Not to be sneezed at.

Watched Game of Thrones 4.1 tonight. Wow, Arya. I thought that was well done.

Felt much better today, recovered from the malaise* of last week.

Bench Press
    377.5x2, 380x2. 382.5x2 - all PR doubles
    Notes:
    After Thursday's rough bench, wasn't sure what to expect today. Took a 5lb jump and felt strong so kept going up. Most I'd done for doubles was 375x2x3 back last November I think, so this was a good solid three PR in a row performance.

In warm-ups, I did at least one paused rep every set including the last warm-up at 350.

You'll note in the video that I move Darth Vader closer to the bench so he can help with The Force for the last set. I assume this still counts as a PR. Thanks again to Nick D'Agostino for this wonderful Chrismakkah present:

Press
    210x5x5 - Volume PR
    Notes:
    Only 1# heavier than last week, but felt a lot better. Still slow at the tricep handover on the 5th rep, but got through them better than last week's volume.

Weighted Chins
    BW + 24kg KB x 5 x 4
    Notes:
    Trouble on the 5th rep of all sets. Maybe because I didn't chin at all on Thursday.

TRX Rows
    BW+Weighted Vest (25#?) x 12 x 3

Tricep Rope
    62.5x15, 67.5x13

External Rotations
    7.5x15x2

* My thoughts on last week's malaise are that it was most likely due to volume squat day. I don't know enough math and engineering to calculate what the % is, but the 446x5,5,5,4 that I did on Tuesday was some % harder than what I had been adapting to with my similarly weighted iron plates. Just for convenience let's call it 3% harder due to bar oscillation. So it's essentially as if I squatted 460x5,5,5,4 as far as what I needed to recover from. So I did volume work with a weight a lot closer to my 5RM and intensity work, and thus took me longer to systemically recover from. Hence, my shitty day Thursday - even though upper body depends on, and is limited by, different muscle groups than squatting. And hence why I didn't feel recovered enough to squat again Friday.

I'm not sure how I'll change things for tomorrow. The theoretical schedule calls for 450x4x5 (5 sets of 4), which at this gym will be 451. But I may be better off repeating that 446, or even doing 440, considering the bar oscillation. Though, I am squatting and DLing Saturday so I do have that extra recovery day. I may try to stick with the plan and do 451, and then if it gets too hard, take some off the bar for later sets.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-23-2014 at 04:21 PM.

I thought we already discussed on FB (and came to a consensus?) about using the dark side of the force for strength gains? Yes, it still counts as a PR, but perhaps you need a Yoda present this year.

Congrats on the PR's. Freaking sweet.

Interesting idea regarding recovering and percentage "harder" affecting you. I guess this is partly why auto-regulation happened...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I thought we already discussed on FB (and came to a consensus?) about using the dark side of the force for strength gains? Yes, it still counts as a PR, but perhaps you need a Yoda present this year.
    I fucking love Yoda. But I also love Darth. I have a Yoda sticker on the inside of my 4" belt. It's like taking the best from both sides of the force.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Interesting idea regarding recovering and percentage "harder" affecting you. I guess this is partly why auto-regulation happened...
    This may actually be a good way for me to include some auto-regulation. Contrary to what All The Cool Kids have been doing, I've been sticking pretty strictly to planned increases on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule, and it's worked tremendously well. It's not that I'm against Advanced programming, at all, it's just that most people crave it before they truly need it. I'm not talking about you, RobIs - everyone who's been here for a while knows you ran the TM pretty well into the ground. But it seems to me a lot of should-be Intermediates are treating themselves like Advanced lifters. Becuz it's teh kool. I know RPE can be used for Intermediates as well, I've read the RPE articles and generalized intermediate template, and pretty much all the articles on the RTS' site. As well as following the logs of many of the lifters here who have switched to that style of programming. Anyway, perhaps later stage Intermediates is a better word here than Advanced. But I think as long as someone can make themselves add weight to the bar, and have the program provide the pressure and expectation to do so, then they should keep doing that. My unscientifically investigated feeling is that many people stop doing that sooner than they need to for reasons unrelated to optimizing their programming or speed of their gains.

Anyway, I may use RPE to adjust the weights tomorrow. I spoke to the owner and he was OK with me ordering some stuff to leave at the studio for everyone to use, and I will be able to use it when needed for my own training. So 5 pairs of 45lb iron plates are on the way, along with an A-Frame rack to store them on and some other stuff I ordered as well. I'll just keep it there as long as I'm lifting there. And whenever and wherever it finally happens that I get my own space, I now really have just about enough equipment to get going from Day 1.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-23-2014 at 08:21 PM.