starting strength gym
Page 186 of 443 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    She's right! The new Sherlock's brilliant.
    That is brilliant. Found out last summer that my friend was a lawyer or something for Benedict also.

Ripper Street. Season 1 is on Netflix, Season 2 is available on DVD.

Wonderful pressing, BTW. Respect.

If you liked Dexter you will definitely like Sherlock. All 3 seasons are on netflix.

The wire. Greatest thing ever made for television.

+1 for Sherlock, also you have a PM

Is this even a training log anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Is this even a training log anymore?
    Occasionally.

Today went pretty damn poorly. Technically I PR'd my squat and DL, so why, you ask, was it such a poor day? I underperformed pretty badly considering the progress I've made in every rep range over the past months, and also irritated my back. Though I probably won't know for sure until I wake up tomorrow, I am 99% sure it's only a minor irritation and won't prevent me from any training. But it's still a bad topping on an already disappointing training day.

Squat
    500x1, 524.5x1 - PR, 530.5xf, 530.5x1 - PR
    Notes:
    My plan was 3-5 heavy singles up to 535 if I had it. 500 felt a bit harder than expected but no problem. 524.5 was also harder than expected but still ok; felt like I had at least 10-15 more pounds in the tank. This is how I wanted to feel at 530, so not great but OK. Then I got forward at 530.5 and couldn't save it. I had to unload the bar entirely, get it back on the hooks, then re-load it up to 530.5. Pain in the ass and I promised myself I wouldn't do that for nothing. So I got the 530.5 the second try, but it was a very slow rep.

I was hoping for at least 530 if not 535 to be hard but smooth, feeling like I had another 10 lbs in the tank. That didn't happen at all. Considering how well I've hit my intensity days for the past several months, this was really disappointing. The first time I squatted 500, my best 5x5 was 395 and best previous single was 485 both while fairly fresh. I've now done 435x5x5 - and 446x5,5,5,4 with wobbly bumper plates - both while still recovering from recent heavy pulling. And I've recently done 495x3, 510x2x2, 515x2, etc etc... Considering how much stronger my squat is now, I should NOT fail a rep at 530. Even on a bad, off day. I just shouldn't. I've basically put 40-50lbs on my 5x5 but barely eked out 30 on my single; even allowing for variance of having a bad day, that's some weak shit and it's pissing me off. Getting it on the second try redeemed my mind-frame somewhat but still very disappointed and the fatigue with the failure and grind may have also set me up for what happened in the DL.

I'm not including the failed rep on the vid because I don't want to see it again. I've watched it several times, learned what I could from it, now it's time to move on:

Deadlift
    627x1 -PR (failed 2nd rep), 561xf (planned to do 3-5), 471x5
    Notes:
    Warmups felt not great but OK. Last warm-up at 561 was a bit slow off the floor but fast after that so took the more aggressive jump to 627 (plate combos gave me a choice of 621, 623.5, or 627), with a goal of either 627x3, or 627x2x2.

I got 627x1 but it was really slow off the floor and slow at lockout too, and my back didn't feel very tight or well set. I got the second rep to just above the knee and may have been able to wrestle it up if I'd given it all I had, but I felt my lower back going fast and decided it wasn't worth it to risk something this close to the meet.

This is a 12 lb PR, done on a stiff bar whereas my previous 615 was at a meet on a DL bar. But considering 575x5, 585x4, and 600x3 the past 3 times I've pulled, this was a big disappointment.

I went back down to my last warm-up at 561 with thoughts to get some volume in at a challenging but backed-off weight, and do a triple and take 4 or 5 if I had it. I could barely budge it off the floor after 7-8 mins rest. Blew my wad on the 627.

I took another plate off and pulled a very pissed off and disappointing 471x5 to finish the day.

Here's the 627, hooked:

I did go and get a massage afterwards. My back is just the slightest bit irritated and uncomfortable when seated, but going into a deeper and or harder (that's what she said) flexion doesn't seem to make it any worse at all. Going for another massage tomorrow, fingers crossed.

It's ironic that I have crushed just about every training session over the past 6 months, except the last heavy squat/DL combo session before the meet. Let's go with bad dress rehearsal, great opening, as the actors would say.

My stretch goal for the meet is still 1655. One bad day hasn't made me give up on that. Something like a split of 550/405/700 would get me there. My minimum number I need to not to be disappointed with myself is 1560.

Wolf, completely understand how you feel relative to where you think you should have been today. However, you have also been on an awesome PR train the last month or longer and your PR's today have to be evaluated in that context. You should probably feel better about it than you do and I think you will be good for the meet with a taper. Remember, today was still a training day and you did enough to give you further stimulus towards the meet performance.

Remind me, when is the competition?

starting strength coach development program
    Lifts aren't bad. What's your weight-class bro?