Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf - Page 189

starting strength gym
Page 189 of 443 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239289 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

  1. #1881
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,721

    Default

    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    • starting strength seminar april 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    495 525 550 I've chosen your squat attempts. Now just execute.
    That seems about right to me based on that 535 single (which was just sweet and super-smooth), but can you triple 495?

    As for the deads, open super light and take a big jump if things are feeling good. A lot of people do that way anyway. You never know where your fatigue and adrenaline are at that point in the meet anyway so it's good just to make an easy pull, get your total on the board and build some confidence. (or go to plan B if things don't feel right)

    Excellent weekend of training, especially with that travel fiasco. That was worse than my Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale flight in April. A 45 minute flight that took so long I literally could have driven back and forth in the time I was at the airport and on the plane...

  2. #1882
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    808

    Default

    It looked to me like you could have tripled the 535 if you had wanted to.

  3. #1883
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    495 525 550 I've chosen your squat attempts. Now just execute.
    I'm thinking something very much like that if I'm feeling in the groove that day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    That seems about right to me based on that 535 single (which was just sweet and super-smooth), but can you triple 495?


    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    As for the deads, open super light and take a big jump if things are feeling good. A lot of people do that way anyway. You never know where your fatigue and adrenaline are at that point in the meet anyway so it's good just to make an easy pull, get your total on the board and build some confidence. (or go to plan B if things don't feel right)
    This is what I'm thinking for DL. I'm not nearly as sensitive to big jumps there as I am in the other lifts. I'd like to start at 600 but it probably makes sense to start lighter considering the circumstances. 550-575 range, probably.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Excellent weekend of training, especially with that travel fiasco. That was worse than my Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale flight in April. A 45 minute flight that took so long I literally could have driven back and forth in the time I was at the airport and on the plane...
    Man, that sounds stupid. Hopefully the trip back today will be smoother.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward View Post
    It looked to me like you could have tripled the 535 if you had wanted to.
    It really did shoot up so much stronger than I expected, especially after 515 was kind of slow. I tend to run out of gas kind of quickly, but I certainly could have doubled it, and maybe tripled.

  4. #1884
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,721

    Default

    I thought you had tripped 495, but couldn't remember exactly. Sweet.

  5. #1885
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I thought you had tripped 495, but couldn't remember exactly. Sweet.
    My relevant squats in this last cycle were 470x5, 495x3, 515x2, and now 535x1. Bench was up to 408 t-n-g and lots of paused reps in the context of volume work (342.5 and 348), plus some paused singles, which I'll do again tomorrow. Last 3 DL workouts were 585x4, 575x5, and 600x3, prior to the 627x1+f that tweaked my back. All on a stiff bar.

  6. #1886
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Dress rehearsal today. Due to my low back tweak, I did more and heavier pulling than I'd otherwise do on a Tuesday before a meet, but I think it was called-for and the right choice. Everything in the singlet today.

    Ideally I'd have done something like this over the weekend (with slightly more aggressive weights), or yesterday, but due to logistics around the Mississauga seminar and the travel back and forth, had to do it today. Should be fine.

    Squat
    465x1 (last warm-up), 405x3, 364x5
    Notes: All fast, smooth, felt good. There were some guys working on the walls and electric right next to me, so their super close presence, along with the loud drilling and lack of music was somewhat annoying and distracting, but nothing I could do about it so I just focused. At one point during my warm-ups, the lights turned on and off literally during every rep of that set (I think it was 315x3). At least that didn't happen during the pseudo-worksets.

    Bench Press
    359x1x2 - (planned opener) paused, 315x3, 291x5
    Notes: Paused all the warm-ups. Planned opener is 355 or 360. The first rep at 359 was solid, the second not quite as good but still OK. Didn't rest enough between the two. Also, my left shoulder isn't feeling 100%. Not bad, but enough that a max effort bench might have to be a few % less than normal.

    DL
    135x5, 225x5, 315x2, 405x1, 460x1x2, 315x5, 225x5
    Notes: The first 460 I slacked on the SQUOZE, so did a squoze rep without actually pulling, then rested and did another rep at 460 making sure to squeeze all the way. Due to the tweak, I still lost a little bit of the squeeze on the break off the floor, as can be seen in the vid, but only a touch.



    Overall thoughts heading into the meet: 1655 is a very outside chance now that this tweak has happened and my left shoulder is a little cranky. If this last cycle had gone without any hiccups, I'd have put my chances at hitting 1655 at about 70-80%. Given everything that's happened, it's probably more like 20%. That said, I'll absolutely take it if it's there. My DL 5RM is 55lbs heavier than when I pulled 615 at the last meet, and that rep was sub-max (4 seconds from floor to lockout). So I'd think I'd have at least 70 lbs, up to 100lbs on my 1RM, which comes to 685-715. But even the 685 might not be there, depending on how the back heals over the next 5 days. My bench volume work and triples and doubles are all higher than when I benched 400 at the meet in November, but my left shoulder and elbow tweakiness means I may have to back off some, depending how I feel that day. I feel overall pretty strong on squatting. I had a couple training days that didn't go as planned, but overall feel solid about my squat.

    As of now, planned attempts assuming a good day are:
    Squat: 495 - 525 - 545/550
    Bench Press: 355/360 - 375/380 - 395/400
    Deadlift: 560 - really too hard to say here. If back feels 100%, I could go for 620 and then 680-700. If it's about what I expect, probably 610 - 650. If it's still noticeably weak, maybe 595/625. Will just have to play by ear.

  7. #1887
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,956

    Default

    Good luck man !

  8. #1888
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern Wis
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    I hate to post this so close to your meet, Michael, but it is my sad duty to announce that Irina's Diner in Milwaukee (Whitefish Bay), famous for serving one of your favorite Reuben Sammiches, has closed. I walked by there today and was stunned. It was a down day, indeed.

  9. #1889
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Good luck man !
    Thanks dude.

    Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    I hate to post this so close to your meet, Michael, but it is my sad duty to announce that Irina's Diner in Milwaukee (Whitefish Bay), famous for serving one of your favorite Reuben Sammiches, has closed. I walked by there today and was stunned. It was a down day, indeed.
    Bob, say it ain't so! This is indeed sad news, for multiple reasons. They really did make a most excellent Reuben, and IIRC the bread was homemade, too. Man. That's it. I gotta do it for Irina, back tweak be damned!!

  10. #1890
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Deep South
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Good luck with the meet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •