starting strength gym
Page 200 of 443 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Because Monday, when I started the week, I was still not clear of the infection and it had been 9 days since I lifted at all. Those two coupled together meant I was going to go light. Light enough that I could squat a little more the next day and still be fine. And so on.
    Ah.

I'm in a no-man's land this week, training-wise. I can train and feel mostly better, but am having the cyst removed next Tuesday, and will have another forced week (or so) off after that. Since I'm still ramping back up after time off and an infection, even if I push my absolute hardest, it won't accomplish anything worthwhile enough to make a difference in terms of where I come back after the post-removal week off. So the idea is to do enough this week so when I come back after that week off, it isn't further back than it otherwise would be. This is just really weird for me, because I'm used to either pushing forward, being on a planned/necessary deload, or ramping back up. Whereas this week I am just treading water, on purpose. It's weird. Anyway.

Bench Press
    302x5, 313x5, 324x5

Press
    179x5, 190x5, 195x5

BW Chins

Nothing interesting on any of the lifts to note today.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-25-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Good to hear you're feeling better. August has been a wash for me as well - infected insect bite. To hell with insects and cysts!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    To hell with insects and cysts!
    For Gondor!

Added some volume back in today, with a smaller jump in load. Although I didn't get good sleep and felt blargh this morning, today's lift was the first time since the infection started that I actually felt pretty good while lifting.

Squat
    392x5, 410x5, 421x5
    Notes: Easy. Which felt good for a change. If I were RPE-ing it, I'd say 421x5 was an 8.

Deadlift
    460x5, 405x5
    Notes: Not as easy as the squats but no trouble. I'm still struggling to regain the deadlift mojo that I lost the day I strained my back going for a second rep at 627. That was June 28, I think. Ever since then, I've not felt as confident in my grip or my back-setting and my pull as a whole has not felt strong. Like something is just a bit off. In any case, these were fast but I didn't love how they felt.

Versa Climber
    60ft climb / 45s rest x 5

Another day of plodding.

Press
    190x5, 201x5, 206x5
    Notes: 190 and 201 were easy. 206 was hard because I messed up the breathing pattern of the Press 1.5.

Bench Press
    302x5, 324x5x2
    Notes: Felt really strong on bench today, but shoulder started bothering me quite a bit afterwards. It was low level pain when going into external rotation, whether in isolation or integration. Went down some as time passed, but annoying and a little worrisome.

BW Chins

Squat
    405x4, 405x5, 438x5
    Notes:
    First set felt awful. My knees felt 'off' and my left glute was twinging bad at the bottom. I didn't do my usual lacrosse ball stuff before lifting, so worked in there good and hard (TWSS!) before the next set and it was much better. So did a fiver there, then added 15kg and did another fiver. Didn't feel my best today, but was fine after I got that glute twinginess out of the way. Big distraction when it does that right where you need to stay tightest.

Power Clean
    45x6, 89x2, 111x2, 133x2, 155x2x8
    Notes: Shoulder twinged a bit when racking the cleans so stayed light and used the opportunity to work on form. It was still distracting with the shoulder, but I stayed out over the bar better and waited the extra inch to hit my jumping position, two things I am notoriously bad at. But it was 155 so meh.

I was then texting Nick and John and mentioned my shoulder was bugging me when racking at 155. Nick said that he, too, was power cleaning 155 today. I hate Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I was then texting Nick and John and mentioned my shoulder was bugging me when racking at 155. Nick said that he, too, was power cleaning 155 today. I hate Nick.
    You mean you hate the communists? And Nick is a communist, right?

Had fun training with RobIs today. We, predictably, talked a lot so the workout took us well over two hours, maybe 2.5? Definitely fun though. I also made a game-time call to just not bench at all today. Missing one sub-max bench workout isn't going to change anything long term anyway, so I just tacked on this rest for the shoulder to the coming week's forced rest. Hopefully by the time I get the stitches out next week, it'll be ready to rock again. I took my time warming up and between sets, since I was cutting out all benching, and did two backoff 10s in the press instead.

Press
    193x5, 204x5, 210x5, 160x10x2
    Notes: Everything a little harder than I wanted it to be, and than I feel it should be, but got everything with no real grinding.

BW Chins
    Notes: Weighed myself @ 268 with clothes on/shoes off in between chin sets. Weight is no excuse for not doing/being able to do chins.

Cable External Shoulder Rotations
    7.5x15x2

Shoulder Capsule Stretches

starting strength coach development program
    Wolf, that was awesome. Not only because you miraculously fixed my squat, but mostly because you are fun to hang and talk shop (and knee sleeves) with. Thanks for being so accommodating and thanks for the great cueing. Really a pleasure. Hope it doesn't take 3 1/2 more years before we lift in the same room again.