starting strength gym
Page 205 of 443 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Notes: The area in which to push the sled is also the main thoroughfare of the gym, which got crowded today by the time I was pushing the sled. So I had to rest longer than I wanted to for a few rounds while people casually strolled their way across the floor.
    If people aren't smart enough to get out of the way of a 100+ lb sled and a 260+ lb Wolf, then they deserve what they get.

Quote Originally Posted by medwards View Post
    The press is the least of the lifts, but the most sensitive. In my experience, anyway.
    Same here. However, it still frustrates me just how sensitive it is - both to time off and to minor form deviations. Alas, I am a (relatively) pretty good bencher but derive little pleasure from it; I am a (relatively) poor presser, and it's my favorite "upper body" exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by medwards View Post
    I commend you on your correct spelling of gauge.
    Is this rare?

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Do you wear polyester socks? I switched from cotton to 100% poly recently and the difference is night and day.
    I was thinking about this after training today. They're cotton, and what I've always worn since I started wearing socks to pull off the floor about 5-6 years ago. Never tried anything else. Have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    If people aren't smart enough to get out of the way of a 100+ lb sled and a 260+ lb Wolf, then they deserve what they get.
    Theoretically, I agree. It's the kind of situation where if it were my space and I were in charge, I'd tell them to get the hell out of the way, and tell their trainers to teach their clients about what happens in a gym and how to avoid getting hurt or yelled at with the application of common sense. But they're typically entitled NYC personal training clients who not only don't know better, but whose trainers also don't know better, and all of whom would take affront to being addressed in such a manner - not that I care about that, either, except I have to share space with these people and often ask if they're working in a certain area, if they're still using that rack (for 1/4 squats with a pad), etc... It's a small workspace with a lot of overlap and since I'm not in charge, I must play nicely with others. At least for another few weeks.

Theoretically, I agree. It's the kind of situation where if it were my space and I were in charge, I'd tell them to get the hell out of the way, and tell their trainers to teach their clients about what happens in a gym and how to avoid getting hurt or yelled at with the application of common sense. But they're typically entitled NYC personal training clients who not only don't know better, but whose trainers also don't know better, and all of whom would take affront to being addressed in such a manner - not that I care about that, either, except I have to share space with these people and often ask if they're working in a certain area, if they're still using that rack (for 1/4 squats with a pad), etc... It's a small workspace with a lot of overlap and since I'm not in charge, I must play nicely with others. At least for another few weeks.
    Oh I know decorum reigns supreme, it just tickled my funny bone that you had to delay your prowler work because the smoothie-sippers were casually strolling by.

What happens in a few weeks?

I was thinking about this after training today. They're cotton, and what I've always worn since I started wearing socks to pull off the floor about 5-6 years ago. Never tried anything else. Have any recommendations?
    Honestly I just bought the cheapest baseball socks on Amazon Prime. $5.95 a pair, and the large hits the bottom of my patella. I think they are TPX or something like that. Figured at that price I had little to lose. I was using some cotton fencing socks my wife gave me that have a padded front, which sounded good in theory, but they grabbed the bar so badly it messed up my form.

They're really thin though. if you like more padding in the foot, my wife really likes the Mizuno baseball socks (which are 100% poly through the shin but polycotton blend in the foot). They're over twice the price though. (YMMV since she doesn't deadlift in them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Oh I know decorum reigns supreme, it just tickled my funny bone that you had to delay your prowler work because the smoothie-sippers were casually strolling by.

What happens in a few weeks?
    Ya, it's kind of weak sauce. Not much I can do though. But in a few weeks...http://startingstrength.com/resource...595#post970595

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Sock stuff
    Thanks for the info. I do tend to like a bit of padding in the foot, and if they're good, don't mind paying a bit extra since training stuff is important to me. I've also considered some of the more expensive shin coverage things like ShinSkins. Anyone tried those? I think Nick D used to used them, but we were skeptical that they'd fit over my calves.

We use pressure and displacement gauges extensively at work. They're mostly spelled "gages". Like fingernails on a chalkboard every time I read it. I know a mom who named her boy Gage. Poor misspelled kid.

I like my Titan socks:
    http://www.liftinglarge.com/NEW-Titan-Deadlift-Socks

...you would look more bad-ass in black anyway.

And wow, that Crossfit Solace looks SWANK!

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I like my Titan socks:
    http://www.liftinglarge.com/NEW-Titan-Deadlift-Socks

...you would look more bad-ass in black anyway.

And wow, that Crossfit Solace looks SWANK!
    Interesting. How long are the socks?

OK day today. Still a little annoyed at how these weights feel vs how I expect them to feel, but I do keep climbing back up. We'll see if I can get to previous levels; if I can, no big deal if it feels a little harder than expected while doing so.

Press
    197.5x5x3 @ 9, 8.5, 8.5; 157x10 @ 9
    Notes:
    I know bar speed doesn't look like they were 8.5s and 9s but I run out of gas SO fast on presses. You can watch this consistently in my press vids. I'm fairly confident in these RPEs. This weight for 3x5 should be easier, and I'm not sure why the first set was harder, especially since I specifically took my last warm-up at a heavier weight (184x1) to be more prepared. Ah well.

Bench Press
    307x5x3, 225x11
    Notes
    : No handoffs for these. This was also harder than I expected, though some of that at this point is probably fatigue from doing all that pressing first. Still, 335x5x5 only a few months ago. 307x5 should be easier.

Widened grip out to only 1/2" narrower than my preferred grip (which is pinkies on the PL line), and felt stronger in this position, but my shoulder was and still is a bit sensitive afterwards. Not any pain, just some sensitivity to certain movements.

BW Chins
    Chins: 11,11,11
    Neutral Grip: 8,9 (didn't rest much between the last chin and the first neutral grip)

DB Curls
    50x10,7

Band External Rotations
    Orange band x 15 x 3

starting strength coach development program
    When I use to take scheduled breaks I never hit my stride until about 4th or 5th week. It was annoying to have the early weights seem heavier than they should and then by the 5th week or so I'd start coming close to, or hitting PR's and suddenly had room.

Hopefully you'll experience the same type of thing. As you said, as long as you get back, it's no big if it's harder getting there than expected. Just kinda annoying!

Pressing then benching? Kind of rough! Glad to see everything progressing as planned.

I've been using soccer socks (adidas and generic) and recently got some Under Armor knee socks that I like a lot. All mostly non-cotton and I've never had them catch on the bar, even sumo.