starting strength gym
Page 207 of 443 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My knee is a bit better today but still definitely painful even just trying to do some bodyweight squats to test it.

Maybe I need to squat more like Phil Heath, four time Mr. Olympia. He seems to know what he's doing:

I don't know what I like most about that, the mismatched plates, the five fingers, or the fact that he is calling what is pretty close to bodyweight on the bar "heavy, heavy weights."

OR the not even quarter squat depth.

He got his cardio in I guess...

A lot of people say, oh, you know, you're doing all this high rep training. A lot of people don't realize that as long as you're using heavy, heavy weight, I don't see it being a problem. But if you're using high reps as a way of lowering the weight and so-called "chasing the pump," you're gonna get small.
    So here we have the man with the currently (subjectively decided) best physique in the entire world, and he doesn't understand the most basic ideas of physics/force production that if you can do a weight for 4 sets of 20, it, by definition, cannot be heavy. Much less "heavy heavy." I'm willing to bet at least 75%, and probably closer to 100%, of the people reading this understand why that is true. So you know more about training than Mr. Olympia. Not preparing for a bodybuilding show, of course, but how actual training works.

Let's think for a minute about what this might tell us about the old phenomenology vs analysis trope.

Quote Originally Posted by mkgillman View Post
    I don't know what I like most about that, the mismatched plates, the five fingers, or the fact that he is calling what is pretty close to bodyweight on the bar "heavy, heavy weights."
    Worse, it sounds like he says 50 to 150lb range. Fuck I could do 20 reps of that. Mr. Olympia here I come!

The real question is why does he have RED plates on one side and BLUE plates on the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    The real question is why does he have RED plates on one side and BLUE plates on the other side?
    becuz
    spiderman

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    I'm confused because where I come from, those are related things. What does "phenomenology" mean in this context? Simply relying on experiences with no analysis?
    The philosophers' union could have a beef with Rip. I've chosen to let it slide. After all, how much could Husserl deadlift?

I'm confused because where I come from, those are related things. What does "phenomenology" mean in this context? Simply relying on experiences with no analysis?
    Basically, yes. See below in reply to Karl.

Anyway, I'm pretty damn surprised to have seen that. I watched Jay Cutler's DVD(well more like just skipped around a bit) a few years ago and he trained(s?) with Heath. Sure, they did a lot of partials and high reps stuff but it was always at least a lot of weight. Obviously, if you can do 4x10 almost-full-reps with 495 on incline bench, it's not heavy for you, but that's a ton of weight.

This, not so much.
    Right. And I'm far from an expert in developing world class bodybuilders, and I wouldn't even necessarily suggest that there's no place for 4x20 work in a bodybuilder's routine. I don't really know, but I'd guess there probably IS. It's the simple fact that 4x20, by definition, can't be heavy. And he just doesn't know that. One might suggest he's saying heavy for 4x20, or as we might use in language more familiar to strength training: 350x20x4 @ RPE 9.5. Or something like that. But in context, I think it's clear that's not what he means.

The top bodybuilders are all strong, and even with all the partials and stuff they do, it wouldn't surprise me to see them able to lift heavy weights through a full ROM, if they tried. Not world class PL heavy, but legit heavy. However - not that we didn't really already know this - but this is a good illustration of genetics + steroids being far more important a determinant in outcome than solid programming. Which is why phenomenology, while useful, can never yield a complete picture of what's going on, nor allow a derivation of optimal (or, at least, closer to optimal) protocols and techniques from first principles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I assume they're the same weight (even though I know in serious plate colorage, blue is usually 20kg and red is 25kg), but admit I didn't look that closely. It would be funny if they were actually different weights and he didn't notice. Or even funnier if it was on purpose for some type of uneven load nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    becuz
    spiderman
    But really it's probably because of this. I heard that guy does whatever a spider can.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    The philosophers' union could have a beef with Rip. I've chosen to let it slide. After all, how much could Husserl deadlift?
    Ha! That made me laugh. According to dictionary.reference.com, phenomenon has several definitions. The first is:
    a fact, occurrence, or circumstance observed or observable
    The fourth is specifically a philosophical definition:
    An appearance or immediate object of awareness in experience.
    In Kantianism: a thing as it appears to and is constructed by the mind, as distinguished from a noumenon, or thing-in-itself.
    I don't know as much about how it's popularly used, but I think its usage as simply "The study of phenomena," as defined in that first way, is not incorrect even if not the way it's normally used. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm certainly not a linguist or philologist (despite my love for Tolkien), nor a philosopher.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-02-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: improper use of apostrophe

Default No Mojo

starting strength coach development program
    Bad news for the jews. Usually I am a very consistent lifter. Like everyone, I have better days and worse days, but I usually bring my A game, and if it's a bad day, I have my A- game. A good day will be my A+ game. While this means I don't really pull big PRs out of my arse, it also means I can predict pretty well how I'll do, and am a very steady and consistent performer.

But ever since I've returned to lifting following the cyst removal, I've felt like I can't get past my B+ game. Today, I had my C game.

This is the first time ever in all my training history that a re-ramp back up LP has faltered before getting me to where I have previously been (and recently, too). As recently as 8/28 and 9/1, I pressed more than I did today - not easily, but I did it. Going a bit further back, I did 210x5x5 on June 23rd. I probably could have done 215-218 for 3x5 at that point. I hit 210x5x3 for the first time 16 months ago. I should be well past that point now, so stalling here today was very frustrating. Bench felt like crap afterwards, too.

Might be I just had a bad day, but I've just not been "feeling it" at all since the cyst got taken out. Not happy.

Still, not all is lost. Two good takeaways today:
    1. With some self-massage and ITB rolling and knee sleeves, my knees felt better enough today to squat light. Went up to about 165x5 and felt much better than Tuesday. Not 100%, but a whole lot better.
    2. Took the same bench grip as Monday (about 1/2 a finger width narrower than my preferred grip, but basically right there) and shoulder feels ok afterwards.

Press
    204x5,5,4 (failed 5th rep),3 @ 9.5, 10, 10, 9
    166x8 @ 10
    Notes: No Mojo.

Bench Press
    316.5x5 @ 9.75, 294.5x5 @ 9
    221x12 @ 9
    Notes: Didn't have a hand-off, but even with that and after pressing, 316.5x5 should still be more like an 8.5 at worst. Between that and my 166x8 press, it at least makes me think it was just a bad day.

BW Chins
    9 sets of 6
    Notes: Knew I didn't have it in me to fight through sets of 12, so just accumulated some volume here with 6s. Rested 1-2 mins between sets.

DB Curlz
    55x8, 45x12

Cable Ext Rot
    7.5x15x2
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-02-2014 at 04:08 PM.