starting strength gym
Page 21 of 443 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by djl236 View Post
    I normally don't get the tendinitis from squatting. When I had it in the early spring, it was from bench rack lockouts. I just got it again recently from squatting though and it was because Steel gave me a gruesome squat workout which I stubbornly finished, but some form breakdowns occurred and I'm positive that's what did it. It is feeling better, but I'll have to work my grip back in again slowly, like last time. My shoulders aren't the most flexible either. Not as bad as some, but could be better, for sure.
    Same happened to me - I had a form breakdown during one workout, not sure how many reps/sets were involved, and that did it. Stayed with me as long as I kept low barring, though ice did calm it and 2-3 days after I squatted heavy, it would be very very minor. But it would flare up again as soon as I squatted. And absolutely killed as soon as I would get up to bat and make contact during my Sunday softball games. 3 weeks (or maybe 4?) of high bar only took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by djl236
    Rip saw my video in the thread they had going and said he'd have me cut my depth a bit but that my back looked safe and the minor "buttwink" wasn't much of an issue. Good luck with getting the depth where you want it, but your squat does look good now. Damn good.
    Thank you sir; thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by KONG View Post
    Not comfortable...just patient : )

You have a very good looking squat...I wouldn't change it.
    And thank you too. When I did 380 today I didn't focus on it, but had it in the back of my mind. No video, but I think I bounced a bit earlier on most reps.

It's a PR. A PR is a PR and like Wendler said, they should be acknowledged, logged, and celebrated as you move to the next one.

Nice job. I look forward to attaining your strength levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Then saw an acquaintance who teaches group fitness classes who tried to convince me to do steady state cardio regularly cause it's good for my heart. I politely declined.
    Ha! Cute. Bacon is good for the heart too =). And way more yummy than cardio.

Congrats on the PR's!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    It's a PR. A PR is a PR and like Wendler said, they should be acknowledged, logged, and celebrated as you move to the next one.

Nice job. I look forward to attaining your strength levels.
    Haha, alright Mac, I give, I give! You and Wendler win. Maybe we will have to create a hierarchy of PRs next week over a beer?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCClaud View Post
    Ha! Cute. Bacon is good for the heart too =). And way more yummy than cardio.

Congrats on the PR's!
    Yes. It is also good for the soul, despite what all of my childhood education (and family) believe. Too bad they'll never know better!

Foam Rolled a bit, and did some shoulder mobs and 2x500meter EASY rows to warm up, since I didn't have squats to warm me up first.

Press
    45x5x2, 95x5, 125x3, 155x2, 180x5x3
    Last rep of 2nd set was challenging; last rep of 3rd set was downright hard. I'd say just short of limit, but close. As I think back to my training history over the past 2-3 years (logged and unlogged), 180 for 5s seems to be the weight at which progressing in the press stops becoming easy for me. I should still have a few more bench workouts on a M/W/F or Sat schedule on an my "regaining strength" LP, so might start microloading the press now, so as not to slow down my bench gains by switching to intermediate/TM pressing too early.

Chins
    10,10,9 - on the stupid angled thingies, cause gym lacks a straight bar.

Jordan and Rob inspired me, so I did some arm work today for the first time in...?????
    Triceps:
    The bros were using the EZ Curl bars, and I didn't want to go the the next floor to check if there were any there, so I just did 2 sets of cable pushdowns with a straight bar. Lame, I know, and not really objectively quantifiable and incrementally increasable from location to location. But I did some tris, brah!!!

Then 1 set of Alt DB Curls with 45's for 8 reps. Considering I had already done chins and never do curls, that was2-3 more reps than I expected.

Late night lift tonight, because I fell asleep/napped during my set aside time for the lift this afternoon. I was so tired and there was no way I was recovered yet, or 'up' enough to do it then. So the nap was good, but I really REALLY didn't want to drag myself to the gym at 9pm. I did though.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x3, 275x2, 335x1, 385x5x3
    These were challenging to be sure, but no more than I expected or than they should have been. Rested ~5 mins between sets.
    I still feel like I have more LP left in me in these (2x/week) as long as I can recover properly. I usually eat enough for recovery, but I definitely don't sleep enough (5-6 hours most nights, usually waking up 2-3x) so that will probably stall me sooner than I otherwise could go. We'll see.

Deadlifts
    155x3, 265x2, 355x1, 450x5
    Here too, challenging, but felt better than 440x5 last week. This was a Wendler/Ward/Wolf PR. I had done up to 498 for a triple, 530 for a single (at the meet, after squatting 440), and the infamous 445 for a fairly easy 5 at the SS Seminar, but technically never did 450x5 before. So with Mac's urging, I'm now calling this a PR.
    Rested a while between end of squats and first DL warmup (7-8mins), then another 7-8 mins between last warmup and the work set.

200m sprints/1:30 walk: 6 @ 7.8, 8.4, 9.0, 9.2, 9.5, 10.0

Would've done another 1 or 2, but the gym was closing, so walked the 1/2 mile home sweating it off. Now all showered and protein shaked, watching olympic men's gymnastics.

Was looking back at your squat vid. Cutting depth on squats is a bitch huh? I got the same problem of going too deep lol. Feels like I'm half squatting if I don't.

Was also mirin your back, no homo. Your upper body is friggen large. I gotta get mine matching my lower body!

What are you weighing in at these days?

Quote Originally Posted by jmoye View Post
    Was looking back at your squat vid. Cutting depth on squats is a bitch huh? I got the same problem of going too deep lol. Feels like I'm half squatting if I don't.
    Haha ya, a bitch and a half! Maybe it's a holdover from my several years of high bar squatting, but going that low feels somehow natural to me, whereas pulling up just below parallel feels like I'm cutting it short.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoye View Post
    Was also mirin your back, no homo. Your upper body is friggen large. I gotta get mine matching my lower body!

What are you weighing in at these days?
    I weigh about 245 right now at 6' tall; I don't really know but would estimate 15-17% bf.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-08-2012 at 05:47 AM.

I'm a little late here, but when I looked at your squat video, I don't think they are too deep at all. Also, 385x5x3 is awesome! Nice work, man. You have a really strong press too.

Any chance you could video those power cleans sometime?

starting strength coach development program
    Foam roll back, some shoulder mobs.

Bench Press
    45x5x2, 135x5x2, 185x3, 235x2, 280x5x3
    Felt some elbow twinges today, which is NOT good. I do not want that tendinitis back, at all. Will ice and advil lots for the next 2-3 days and see if I can beat it.

Reps at 280 felt strong. Last rep of each set was a bit slower than the previous 4, but never any doubt they'd go up. I feel much, much stronger now than I did when first starting back after the plague and doing 245 and 255. Not just stronger in terms of 280>255, but the 280 relative to itself feels stronger than the 255 did. Although my bench is still catching up to where it was - I have to look, but I think I was doing 280x5x5 before the meet - I feel much better than I did 3-4 weeks ago.

Assistance Work:
    DB Rows

75x12, 90x10, 105x8x2
    Hadn’t done these in about a year, and was surprised by how easy they were. Didn’t come close to limit on any set.

Was gonna do some sprints but was feeling yesterday’s squats and deads so called it a workout.