Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf - Page 216

starting strength gym
Page 216 of 443 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266316 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

  1. #2151
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,659

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2022
    • starting strength seminar october 2022
    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    The quote that comes to mind: "Beware the fury of a patient man".

    I think your patience during this comeback is just as inspiring as your best lifts.

  2. #2152
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I'm familiar with that old trick, it's not that. Something to do with YouTube.

    UPDATE: Got it working now, didn't do anything differently, YouTube just had to GIFST.
    Change the html to [video = youtube ;l9yBPRhhKrw ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9yBPRhhKrw[/ video ] Without the spaces. For some reason I have had to start doing that here to embed videos. you have to copy the numbers/letters after that "v=" . A computer person would probably know what that is called. Make sense?

  3. #2153
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,721

    Default

    I'm bumming I didn't make it there today Wolf. Maybe we can meet next week? I'm working Mon/Tues but it should be dead in the office...

  4. #2154
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Change the html to [video = youtube ;l9yBPRhhKrw ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9yBPRhhKrw[/ video ] Without the spaces. For some reason I have had to start doing that here to embed videos. you have to copy the numbers/letters after that "v=" . A computer person would probably know what that is called. Make sense?
    I'm pretty far from a computer whiz so I don't really get it, but apparently the fix is something like that because when I go in to "edit" that post, that's what the embedding code now says (instead of the usual "" code). Not sure how that happened though, because I certainly didn't change it manually.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I'm bumming I didn't make it there today Wolf. Maybe we can meet next week? I'm working Mon/Tues but it should be dead in the office...
    Me too, Rob. Next week won't work but maybe the week after.

  5. #2155
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Moving on up in the climb back to mediocrity.

    Power Clean
    45xa bunch, 95x3, 125x3, 155x2, 175x2, 195x2, 215x2, 225x1+1, 235x1+1
    Notes: Felt decent on these today. Only started the 2nd pull early a couple times, kept arms straighter than I have been. Looks like I'm bouncing bar off my thighs a bit more than I need to here, in addition to a few other little things, but overall not a shit-show like they've been feeling for a while.

    Deadlift
    425x5
    Notes: Felt better than the 365 and 395 of my last two DL workouts. As the weight goes up, I am rediscovering, slowly, my ability to gear up mentally for a lift and turn it up when it gets hard. This is still 150 lbs away from my best set of 5, so we have a long way to go, but getting there.

    I've been shaving/rubbing the area of my thumb on which the dreaded blister sits, both with a pumice stone and on the knurling of the bar. It's helped. Today's blister pain while hooking went down several notches. Still quite uncomfortable but not almost unbearable like it was on Monday. Hopefully continuing to do that will allow me to keep hooking as the weight goes up, because mixed grip feels SO awkward now after 2 years of hooking my DLs.



    Sled Push, all with 1:45 rest
    1 - empty
    5(6?) - 70lbs, high handles down, low handles back
    2 - 70lbs, high handles down and back
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-19-2014 at 03:18 PM.

  6. #2156
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

    Quick update. Trained at Crossfit615 in Nashville tonight.

    Press
    195x5x3, 215x1, 225x1
    Notes: All felt solid, better than they've been in a while. While 225 was definitely NOT going up for a set of 5 tonight and felt a bit heavy in my hands, that's better than 185 feeling heavy in my hands.



    Bench Press
    300x5x3
    Notes: First set felt a bit slow, next two were good. Second set was done on one breath.

    Deadlift
    455x5
    Notes: Got MRI report back today, and Dr. Petrizzo suggests dropping power cleans for now, and I (unfortunately) concur. So just warmed up for DLs. Felt a bit heavy and slow, but as usual, video shows it was pretty fast. Hook grip discomfort down to manageable levels, hopefully will be gone altogether soon.



    Chins
    BW x 10,8
    Notes: just getting a few in before leaving the gym. Will do more tomorrow with conditioning.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-22-2014 at 09:01 PM.

  7. #2157
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Quick update. Trained at Crossfit615 in Nashville tonight.

    Press
    195x5x3, 215x1, 225x1
    Notes: All felt solid, better than they've been in a while. While 225 was definitely NOT going up for a set of 5 tonight and felt a bit heavy in my hands, that's better than 185 feeling heavy in my hands.



    Bench Press
    300x5x3
    Notes: First set felt a bit slow, next two were good. Second set was done on one breath.

    Deadlift
    455x5
    Notes: Got MRI report back today, and Dr. Petrizzo suggests dropping power cleans for now, and I (unfortunately) concur. So just warmed up for DLs. Felt a bit heavy and slow, but as usual, video shows it was pretty fast. Hook grip discomfort down to manageable levels, hopefully will be gone altogether soon.



    Chins
    BW x 10,8
    Notes: just getting a few in before leaving the gym. Will do more tomorrow with conditioning.
    Nice work, sir. Good to see you putting up some big-man numbers once again.

    Are you going to share what the MRI revealed? I was interested in your analysis of why high-bar squats were less problematic for your knee than low-bar.

  8. #2158
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Nice work, sir. Good to see you putting up some big-man numbers once again.

    Are you going to share what the MRI revealed? I was interested in your analysis of why high-bar squats were less problematic for your knee than low-bar.
    Main issue is tendinosis. A few other things wrong, but we don't think those are causing the symptoms, nor is there much to do about them in either case. Looks like Mr. Silman was correct.

  9. #2159
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Trained with Kyle Mask at his gym here in Nashville last night. Pretty cool place, and got to see Kyle pull 626x2 with a rep (or maybe even 2) in the tank.

    I just did some light stuff and gave the basic bench instruction to my GF, who then benched 150x5x2 on her first time doing it with any instruction. She then pressed up to 125x3 afterwards.

    Snatch Grip DL
    135x3, 155x3 (misload), 225x3, 275x3, 315x3x2
    Notes: Thought the 10s were 25s (they were big) so did 155 instead of 185 on the way up. 315 was most challenging on the grip, which I did DOH, no hook.

    Barbell Row
    135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 225x5x2
    Notes: Not hard, but after Monday's DLs, low back was a bit fatigued so made it harder.

    Lat Pulldowns
    180x12, 200x12, 210x10x2
    Notes: Pretty easy, the gym doesn't really have a good place to do chins if you're over about 5'10".

  10. #2160
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bathing n tha Ganges
    Posts
    982

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Main issue is tendinosis. A few other things wrong, but we don't think those are causing the symptoms, nor is there much to do about them in either case. Looks like Mr. Silman was correct.
    I would highly recommend light eccentric pistols with a really high heel (like 3") for quadriceps tendinopathy or you could try the leg extensions. I'm with Harry about the bilateral concentric and unilateral eccentrics. Done wonders for my achilles/quads/biceps in a VERY short period of time.

    Seems like times are changing around here! Just within the last year you'd be accused of trolling/heresy for suggesting eccentric rehab--after all the lifts are supposed to be corrective themselves, right!? I've been arguing this issue forever. Glad to see more reasonable thinking.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •