starting strength gym
Page 217 of 443 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267317 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    I would highly recommend light eccentric pistols with a really high heel (like 3") for quadriceps tendinopathy or you could try the leg extensions. I'm with Harry about the bilateral concentric and unilateral eccentrics. Done wonders for my achilles/quads/biceps in a VERY short period of time.

Seems like times are changing around here! Just within the last year you'd be accused of trolling/heresy for suggesting eccentric rehab--after all the lifts are supposed to be corrective themselves, right!? I've been arguing this issue forever. Glad to see more reasonable thinking.
    I think much of the reluctance stems from a combination of poorly described mechanisms and poor research in general. But you're smart, Will, and already know that. I think if you'd suggested things in a different way, you might have found a more receptive audience and avoided the fiasco that made up a good ~2 years of your forum experience. Not necessarily full agreement, but useful debate and dialogue instead of assuming everything you said was troll-bait. That would have been good.

Good day today. Still a ways to climb before I get to my top previously conquered weights, but heavy enough to feel reasonably strong again. For me. Feels like I'm almost actually training again, and that's a good feeling. I miss squatting a lot, but if I can train the other lifts in the meantime as I try to get my knee better, it'll be a lot easier to get through it. The past few months have been very frustrating because I wasn't able to actually train ANY lift hard at all.

Did eccentric work for the left knee throughout the session. Banded TKEs and various eccentric single leg squat/sit-down work.

Bench Press
    310x5, 315x5x2, 335x1, 345x1
    Notes: Amazing what a difference a few weeks makes. 2.5 weeks ago I began benching again, at 235x5. Felt heavy. Back up to 315 today, and felt hard but very do-able. I was 'supposed' to stay at 310x5x3, but 310 felt fast and I wanted the three plates back. Set #2 shown in the video below. Then did 335 and 345 just to feel the heavier weight. Can't believe I did 335x5x5 only six months ago; it moved well but felt heavy as shit.

Press
    200x5x3, 145x10
    Notes: Was a bit apprehensive about making all my reps at 200, after the benching. Fifth rep was a grind on all three sets (even with 5 mins rest, which is towards the top end of what I've had to use when pressing), but I made them all. Back off 145x10 was actually easier than expected. Could have done 1-2 more.

Deadlift
    475x5
    Halting DL
    405x5
    Notes: The DLs moved fast. Only about 20 seconds from start to finish for the whole set. Halting were easy too, and was able to use a DOH grip for them - so grip strength is returning. Hook on the 475 felt OK, only slightly more uncomfortable than usual; not anything like the unbearable experience it was for that 7-8 week period starting at the end of October.

Vid of bench set #2 and the 475x5 DL:

Sled Push - all with 1:45 rest
    1 empty - High handles down, low handles back
    4x 70lbs - same
    4x 70lbs - high handles down and back

Happy to see things heading in the right direction for you, Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Happy to see things heading in the right direction for you, Wolf.
    Thanks Doc.

I went in to the gym yesterday to roll out and then did a bit of rowing on the erg. 30s Row/90s Rest x 8, followed by a single 250m effort. Didn't go all out by any means, but enough to have a conditioning effect, for now. Still slower than I was rowing these after heavy 5x5 squats back in the spring (1:30-1:35), but not too much slower.

Paces: 1:49.4, 1:43.4, 1:40.0, 1:38.6, 1:38.0, 1:38.0, 1:36.7, 1:32.5
    Did the 250m after all that at a 1:40.0 pace.

Was supposed to do chins since I barely did them all week (just two sets on Monday) but I forgot. Will have to get back in the chin-game this week.

Those are some big sets of five!

Also, seconding the 3inch heels for shits, not science.
    Last edited by afatgoat; 12-28-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: read more log

Quote Originally Posted by afatgoat View Post
    Those are some big sets of five!

Also, seconding the 3inch heels for shits, not science.
    The weights for the sets of 5 aren't bad, but they're all numbers I first hit 1.5-2 years ago, so I'm not really getting excited about them. I have a ways to go to get the numbers I was hitting 6 months ago.

3 inch heels...I think you guys are in the wrong forum.

Glad to see things are sort of getting back on track. Just keep the momentum going, and you will be back to where you were in no time! :-)

Your GF hitting that big bench the first time out is really impressive too.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    Heh

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Glad to see things are sort of getting back on track. Just keep the momentum going, and you will be back to where you were in no time! :-)

Your GF hitting that big bench the first time out is really impressive too.
    Thanks Les. It's frustrating not to be able to squat and clean, and also to struggle, for reasons I have yet to figure out, with weights that I have been moving easily for a while now. My GF has unreal lifting potential though. She pulled a 405 single today with gas in the tank, without peaking for it, at the end of a training session in which she had squatted and pressed.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-29-2014 at 08:21 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Didn't feel fully recovered from my Friday pressing, but for logistical reasons, went ahead and pressed today. Wasn't great but got some work done.

Bench Press
    330x5
    Notes: This was really hard. Like @10. Mostly because I pressed the fourth rep down towards my feet right off my chest, and overcoming that took a lot out of me. But still annoying for 330 to be this hard even with a form inefficiency.

Press
    185x5, 187.5x5x4
    Notes: Ugh. Hard. The first two sets were @9, then I got my head in the game better and the next three sets were @8.5. But still, they should be more like 7s.

Chins
    7 sets of 6

Finished with some shoulder external rotations with bands.