starting strength gym
Page 223 of 443 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273323 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Are you sending me those Schiek straps, you prince of a man John Hanley?

My gym is Crossfit Solace.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Are you sending me those Schiek straps, you prince of a man John Hanley?

My gym is Crossfit Solace.
    Aye.

I got some Schieks based on John's recommendation to you. They are so much faster to wrap and so much tighter that I think you may find them a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Aye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    I got some Schieks based on John's recommendation to you. They are so much faster to wrap and so much tighter that I think you may find them a big improvement.
    Cool, thanks John. Super generous of you. I look forward to giving em a go and getting my snatch grip DL to respectable levels.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Press
    225x3 @ 9.5
    225x3 @ 9.5
    245xf
    Notes: Pleased to get the 225s for triples after struggling with triples at 220 last week. Knees still just slightly unlocking, not contributing to the lift but need to sort this out. Again.
    Still 2 reps shy of what I should be doing with 225 on the regular, but still a step back in the right direction. I missed 245 at the top of the sticking point. I was almost past it, but couldn't quite get it there before running out of gas. I'm not too disappointed though, and the 225s were hard. I figure I'd definitely have had 245 and maybe 250 if I'd have worked up to a single there first.

Bench Press
    285x5
    295x5x5 (I think; maybe 4 sets?)
    225x8
    Notes: Started out with my closer grip, trying to focus on maintaining proper forearm alignment. I was flaring more than I wanted to, lost patience, and widened out for the last couple sets. They were easier, but my tris were pretty torched by the end, so I was I was doing something right or at least more right then previously with the closer grip and forearm/elbow positioning.

BW Chins
    5 sets of 10
    Notes: Hard today, for some reason.

Finished with some handstand hold practice and kettlebell presses with 20, 24, and 32kg bells. Did a few close grip style (elbows tucked) pushups too, just for the heck of it. Haven't done pushups in literally years. My arms were really fried by this point, but even so and even weighing 260+, they were still quite easy.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-22-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Deadlift
    545x5 @ 9.25 - hook grip
    460x5 @ 8.5 - hook grip
    Deficit Deadlift
    405x5 @ 7.5 - straps
    Notes: I did something stupid Thursday night which resulted in getting a huge left hamstring cramp that I still felt today, so was worried about pulling. Turned out to be a pretty solid day. Warmed up with some clean pulls up to 315, did extra warm-ups because I was feeling eh and because hamstring. After last warm-up at 500, decided to go for 545 instead of 540, and got it. Set took 31 seconds total, fifth rep took just under 5 seconds.

Deficit set felt really light and easy - granted it was 140 lb less than work-set weight, but I was still surprised how easy and fast they were. Also the first time I strapped in completely solidly, symmetrically, and tight.

Glute Ham Raises
    BW x 5 x 4

Sled push
    All done high handles down, low handles back on a 2 minute clock
    Empty Sled - 1x
    80 lbs = 9x
    Notes: 80 lbs is a lot harder than 70 lbs. Toast by the end. Like I was a few weeks ago with 70.

Strong work on the DL's! Sounds like you are getting better at strapping on.

Nice to see your pulls continuing to move in the right direction, Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Strong work on the DL's! Sounds like you are getting better at strapping on.
    There's a dirty joke in there, but...nah.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Nice to see your pulls continuing to move in the right direction, Wolf!
    Thanks, Doc. Gonna take one more week of rehab and try squatting week after next. You really feel the positive effect SS Model low bar squats have as an assistance lift for the deadlift, when you're trying to deadlift without any squatting whatsoever. Now that my pull is about 95% of my best, I can really feel it. Even though I now pull fresh, as opposed to after squatting, I just don't feel as strong in my hamstrings and have more trouble keeping my back rigid during the pull, without the training effect of squats on those areas. Hopefully I can get my squat to respectable levels soon without causing knee problems, I miss it not only for its own sake but for what it does for my pulls.

starting strength coach development program
    Did some bench practice and chins today.

Paused CGBP
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x5, 205x5, 225x5
    Notes: All easy. Thinking about adding a 3rd day of bench into my week, and figured I'd try it out with a light CGBP day today. Really focused on staying tucked and not flaring out.

Chins
    5 mins - did 36.
    Notes: Would also like to consistently do a third day of chins. I've done more sets of fewer reps with less rest and 3-4 sets to fatigue with longer rest, but never the small rep clusters repeated for max total reps within a timeframe. Started modestly with 5 mins today, and didn't go all out - I don't want to be under recovered for Monday's work. But I'll gradually build over time. If I can actually consistently do this. Hopefully.