starting strength gym
Page 225 of 443 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235275325 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cubillini View Post
    Great pressing. Sorry if you have explained this before, but why do you save 2.0 for the last of your reps, just kind of a feel thing? I ask, because I guess I have subconsciously modeled my sets after you in that way.
    I've discussed it several times. Here's one of them: http://startingstrength.com/resource...354#post917354

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Good work on getting the pull back in all-time PR range. I hope the next few years afford you fewer setbacks, but your perseverance (and use of the hook grip on heavy 5 rep sets of deadlifts) has served as a testament to your toughness, and bodes well for what you are capble of accomplishing.
    Thanks much Kyle, appreciate it. Hope you continue healing up as well.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-31-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Wolf, injured or not, you are a boss lifter. One just need glimpse at the size of your massive forearms and faint from the fear of being crushed. But seriously, your perseverance and patience has helped me learn a lot of lessons. I've had a lot of "If Wolf can do it, so can I" feels over the years. Thank you for that.

PS. Your forearms are really jacked. I'm serious about that part.

Paused Close Grip Bench
    235x5x3
    Notes: Still light and easy, probably even easier than last week's single top set of 225x5. A bit more adjusted to the extra day of work and the CGBP now. I'll move it up every week, but am not in a hurry to make big jumps because I'd like to keep the volume/intensity split and weekly progress on Monday/Thursday up for as long as possible. Once this day becomes sufficiently stressful, I'll need to program more complexly. If I can still progress weekly, I'll put that off as long as I can.

BW Chins
    43 in 5:30
    Notes: 7 more total than last week; got to 39 (vs 36) when the clock hit the 5 min mark, then 4 additional over the last 30 seconds. Major bicep burn and pump, but also felt lats.

Push Press Practice
    45x a bunch
    65 x a bunch
    75 x a bunch
    Notes: I have some wild-eyed, crazy ideas about possibly jerking, power clean and jerking, and maybe even split clean and jerking somewhere down the line, at some point, when my knee is all better. Maybe. But I don't want to jeopardize the knee rehab with too much strain, so practicing jerking right now seems a bit reckless. This gives me a chance to practice the timing and feel for getting the bar off my shoulders with a leg drive/bounce. I have push pressed in my very hazy distant past, but it's been years and years since (other than a few sets here and there about a year ago when my left trap wouldn't let me press), so my timing and feel are off. Just a bit of practice getting that feel back.

I did most of these paused, holding the knee dip for a moment before coming back up, but did a few with the stretch reflex. Wanted to make sure my knees were ok with it.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-31-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I've discussed it several times. Here's one of them: http://startingstrength.com/resource...354#post917354
    Ugh, sorry for my lack of Googlefu. Thank you for your response, I appreciate it and it was helpful. Great pulls, here's to a new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    you have to ramp back up at the rate your body allows, not the pre-determined rate you want it to be.
    Exactly. Slow and steady wins the race.

There's no better place on here than this log for learning what it takes to command some shit to grow:

http://youtu.be/Qc6EePCSuSk?t=4m28s

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Exactly. Slow and steady wins the race.

There's no better place on here than this log for learning what it takes to command some shit to grow:

http://youtu.be/Qc6EePCSuSk?t=4m28s
    Sorry to clog up space here, and I know your post was in jest. But I'm honestly so goddamn sick of this fucker. What's the point?

Good news on the knee wolf ! Injuries suck. I haven't been 100% in awhile myself. I can't imagine not lifting and numbers are just numbers. Eh?

I am gonna rock the topknot next time I pr a deadlift now.

Congrats on the 555x5 pull, Wolf. Happy to see things continuing to improve for you. I also could not agree more about the overall benefits of keeping a log on here and just being a part of the SS community in general. I think we are all fortunate to be able to interact with so many great people. Looking forward to seeing you continue to heal up and get back to hitting some big numbers across the board.

starting strength coach development program
    Had a really solid training session today even though I went into it with some residual tricep fatigue. I suspect the relatively large and sudden increase in chin-up volume, with only a day's rest before Monday's heavy benching and pressing, is the culprit. May make sense to do the density block on Thursdays and drop to 3 sets to fatigue and do that Saturdays. Regardless, today went well and it was the first day since the summer that I felt like myself again in terms of upper body strength. Still short of PRs, especially in the bench, but I feel good and strong again. Big balls.

Also, there was some fitness model or something who came in while I was pressing to do a photo shoot in the gym. She was somewhat, uh, scantily clad. That wasn't bad, either.

Bench Press
    360x2 @ 8.5
    365x2x2 @ 9, 9.5
    Notes: The first set was easier than expected, so went up to the plate milestone weight of 365. First set there was a touch harder, still pretty good but I noticed upon watching the film of the set afterwards that I rebounded a bit harder than I wanted to off my chest. I slowed down and controlled the second rep better for the next set, but a bit too much and lost a bit of the stretch reflex, making it harder. Still, I've moved up solidly in bench over the past few weeks and am happy about it. 20 # to go for a new PR double.

Press
    204x5x5 @ 8.5, 8.5, 9, 9, 9
    165x10 @ 9
    Notes: Solid today. Kept knees tight, too. Finally feel strong overhead again, 97% of best 5x5.

Weighted Chins
    +32.5x5x5
    Notes: First set was way easier than I expected. Got a bit harder after that but no problems.

Practiced handstands again afterwards, and kicked right up into a set of 2 strict handstand pushups on my first go. Did another single, then a bit of practice just holding it. Still on the wall. Also did some KB presses and push presses at 24 and 32kg. Easy.

Finished with TKEs.