Page 227 of 443 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277327 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    My barber never said that. Ever.
    You have to be realistic about these things.

Good upper body day today. Things have really started to move back up solidly and I feel good about my bench and press again.

Press
    235x3 @ 9.75
    255x1 @ 10
    225x4 @ 9.5
    Notes: Though volume day knees were solid as hell this week, had unlocking on some of these reps. Improvement, but needs to be better. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with these numbers. All right near PR territory and the 225x4 not at an all out grind, after the other sets, tells me I could've had 225x5 had I done it first.

Bench Press
    315x5x5
    Notes: Solid, overall. Probably will be my last 10lb jump for 5x5, after five weeks in a row of it. Good to get back to this plate milestone, I remember being very excited when I first did it in fall of 2013, I believe.

BW Chins - 6 min density block
    48 reps
    Notes: 5 reps more than 5:30 last time; was at 45 (vs 43) at the 5:30 mark but had very little left. Only got three more. I really dislike these, which probably means they're good for me.

Handstand practice and 1 HSPU. Some presses and push press with 24 and 32kg kettlebells. TKEs. Chipotle. Gainz.

Got my EZ Curl bar, but laid off torchin the tris for now. Going to wait a bit more to adapt and adjust things to the added CGBP day.

Still feeling like I'm fighting a cold or something off, and could still feel the fatigue from last week's grindy 550x5 DL set, so went lighter today with a bit more volume. Also got a hammy band at the suggestion of D'Agostino and Dr. Petreeeezo, and used it on my knee, under my rehbands. Felt pretty good

Squat
    45x5x2, 95x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5
    Notes: All felt good today.

Deadlift
    455x5 @ 7.5
    475x5x2 @ 8
    1.5" Deficit DL
    405x5 @ 8
    Notes: Had a minor right thumb issue so had to alternate grip today. I've done singles with a mixed grip, but been over two years since I've done a set of five that way. Felt awkward and I definitely am unadapted to keeping the supinated hand side close in and not rotating a little. Also didn't get properly squoze on a lot of reps. Didn't really feel that great, but they moved pretty fast.

Sled Push - 2 min clock
    High handles down, low handles back x 8
    1 empty, 7 with 70 lbs
    High down and back x 2
    2 with 70 lbs
    Notes: Felt better than Tuesday but still not great so used 70 lbs and took it a bit easy at the end by switching to high handles both ways for the last two. It's fine.

Finished with 3x5 GHD and TKEs.

Paused CGBP
    245x5x3
    Notes: Added 10 lbs, still easy.

Chins
    BW x 10 x 3
    Notes: Stopped at 3 sets. Might eventually tack on more, but wanted to reduce total volume of chins compared to the last couple weeks after my recent tricep fatigue. It's still a good bit more volume than I was previously doing before adding the 3rd day.

Good day today. Definitely accumulating some upper body fatigue, but hoping for one more week of progress so I can match my press volume PR before reducing things for a bit.

Bench Press
    370x2x3 @ 9.5, 9, 9
    Notes: Just didn't get my shit together for the first set. Regrouped and much better on the next two sets.

Press
    207x5x5 @ 9,9,9,9,9.5
    170x10 @ 8.5
    Notes: This was getting quite hard. Had to up rest from 4 to 5 minutes to get through them. The 170 backoff set was easier than I expected, even though I was a bit all over the place with my 1.0 vs 2.0 and bar path and breathing. This is definitely the most pressing volume I've done in one workout.

Weighted Chins
    +37.7 lbs x 5 x 5
    Notes: Getting hard. Am barely getting chin over bar on fifth rep.

HSPU
    Notes: Tried for a second double today but was toast from all the pressing I'd already done. Still, I think 4 in one day is more than I've done before.

EZ Curl Curlz
    66x8x2
    Notes: Bar is 16 lbs, according to specs. Very easy, just haven't done curlz since...? October at the most recent, so wanted to ease in. I prefer DB curls, but DBs are just about the only thing my gym doesn't have.

Did some presses and push presses with 24, 28, and 32kg KBs and TKEs to finish up. Video later.

Back to PR levels on the press already, Mr. Wolf. Very impressive. You're on a damn tear, and I wish you all the luck in the world to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Back to PR levels on the press already, Mr. Wolf. Very impressive. You're on a damn tear, and I wish you all the luck in the world to keep it going.
    Thanks Adam. Total pressing volume was highest ever today, but want to get that 210x5x5 that I did once in June, I think, before I back off a bit to recover.

Videos from today:
    Bench (3rd set of 370x2): http://instagram.com/p/y5a3KQmITJ/?modal=true

Press: 207x5 (fourth set) and 170x10 (backoff set):

Was a little apprehensive going into today, as I tweaked my back just the tiniest bit yesterday doing something stupid (not Wolf's disease, actually makes sense why it happened, I just did something dumb). Thought I might back off the SGDLs today but felt OK.

Squat
    45x5x2, 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x5, 205x5
    Notes: Felt fine. Though I was, surprisingly, slightly winded by the 185 and 205 sets. I've experienced that before when ramping back up but not at such light weights and not when doing regular conditioning, as I am now. Not worried, just a bit odd.

Power Clean
    Bar drills x a lot, 65x 3-4 reps x a lot, 85x 3-4 reps x a lot
    Notes: Knee felt great so tried these. Kept weight super light and focused on consistently hitting jumping position. Felt fine at the time, though 5 hours later, my knees are a bit cranky. Hard to tell if it was related to the workout (and if so, squats or cleans or both) as they're still somewhat temperamental in that they swing good to less good somewhat regularly. But cranky now is better than normal 6 weeks ago.

Snatch Grip DL
    415x3 ,435x3, 455x1
    Notes: Left glute getting kind of tweaky here so cut it off.

Sled Push
    2 min clock
    1x empty - high down, low back
    1x +50lb - high down, low back
    1x +70 lb - high down, low back
    7x +80lb - alternating high/low (4) and high/high (3)

Run of perfectly linear Press progress ended today, but I knew I was reaching a bit after Monday's big volume session so not upset or worried.

Press
    240x2 @ 9.25
    262.5xf
    227.5x4+f
    Notes: "Plan" called for 240x2x3. The first double wasn't as strong as I'd have liked but went for 262.5 anyway. Just wasn't recovered enough yet. Instead of going back down and finishing two more doubles at 240, which I probably should have done, I tried to PR my set of five by 1.5 lbs. 4th rep was a 9.5, I had a chance; but ran out of gas right above my forehead.

Considering how difficult my early progress was on this run, back in December, and how well it's gone since, and throwing in the huge amount of pressing volume I did only three days ago, I'm quite pleased. I'll reduce intensity a bit and volume a bit more next Monday, and see if that alone allows me to catch some new intensity day highs on Thursday.

Bench Press
    322.5x5x5 @ 8.5, 9, 8.5, 9, 9
    250x11 @ 8.5
    Notes: These went really well. Actually got 4 reps in one breath on sets 1 and 3. Set 1 was so fast I only rested 3 mins, and then set two was harder. Upped rest back to 3.5-4 mins for the rest and went smooth. 250x11 was a nice back-off. Easier than expected.

BW Chin-Ups
    6:30 Density Block - 53 chins
    Notes: 49 (+1) after 6 mins, then 4 more. Sucked, but not as much suck as last time.

HSPU
    Notes: Harder than they've been the last couple times, not surprising given how my press felt today. Decided I'd keep pressing accessory work in today, since I'm lowering overall volume anyway next week.

Finished with KB Press and Push Press @ 24 and 32 kg, and did more TKE work than usual. Also, I don't think I've logged this, but a few weeks ago started transitioning some of my TKE work from traditional TKE to "quarter squat TKE" - where I squat only with knee flexion against the band, slowing the eccentric, and then standing back up/locking out. The ROM is like the bro quarter squats at the globo. As the TKEs helped my knee in the initial improvement, I think transitioning to this slightly more specific variation has helped it continue. Ratio now is about 60% traditional, 40% Quarter Squat. Also squatted up to 205x3 with the hammy band as I warmed up the press.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat
    45x5x2, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 245x5
    Notes: Knees felt fine. Weight on my back feels a bit odd, but everything moved well.

Deadlift
    565x3 @ 8
    565x3 @ 9
    475x5 @ 7
    1.5" Deficit DL
    415x5 @ 7.5
    Notes: Wanted 565x5; it was moving well but I got mentally flustered by the bar bouncing off to the side when I set it down after the first rep. It messed with my set-up a bit, and I also subsequently started controlling the put-down more, taking more energy away from the actual pulls. So I decided on the spot to do two triples there instead of try to grind out the five under less than ideal circumstances. I've hurt my back before, and don't want to be pulling any reps without setting my back well and without the bar centered. I need to get my iron plates so this becomes less of an issue. The rogue training bumpers are made to be more dead-blow than standard bumpers, but when you set 565 down, there's a bit of bounce. Add to that the fact that you basically cannot find a perfectly level floor on the isle of Manhattan, and it bounces just a bit to the side. Thus messes with the set up of subsequent reps just a bit. Need the iron!

Back off at 475 was easier than I expected, as was the deficit set. I was still toast after that because pulling always beats me the hell up, but pleased overall despite not getting the 565x5 I wanted.

C2 Erg - 20/1:40 x 10
    Paces - 1:54, 1:38, 1:27.7, 1:24.7, 1:23.3, 1:22.6, 1:21.9, 1:21.9, 1:24.0, 1:21.3
    Notes: Turf was occupied so used the erg. Got some decent times in there after warming up. Haven't erg-ed regularly in a while, so was ok with these paces.