Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf - Page 230

starting strength gym
Page 230 of 443 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240280330 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

  1. #2291
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    • starting strength seminar october 2022
    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    This is impressive man! Am i right in thinking that you only do triples up until those start to fail? I've just started to use ladders for density blocks but i feel like i could get more if i didn't ruin myself on the higher rep sets. Thanks!
    Thanks, Dunk. At my BW, that's over 16,000 lbs of chin-up in 7 minutes. I know my place in the grand scheme of lifters in the world, but I'll allow myself a small pat on the back for doing that after the press and bench work.

    I open with a triple, and after that it's just doubles and singles for me the rest of the way. I imagine there'd be more triples in there if I weighed less than 265 or whatever I weigh these days. Been a while since I checked.

  2. #2292
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Training went well today, but fatigued the hell out of me. After finishing my TKEs, I literally just sat down on one of the pulling blocks for twenty minutes. Could be a number of reasons why, so while I'll keep an eye on it to see if I need to adjust volume on some other things now that squats are coming back up, I'm not worried about it. That said, even now - 4-5 hours later - I'm still a little fried.

    Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x5, 295x5, 335x5, 365x5
    Notes: All felt fine. Not as locked in as last week, bar got a bit forward on a few reps, but the 365 still went up easy - about like a last warm-up set. Considering I haven't squatted this much in about 10 weeks and haven't squatted heavy on a consistent basis at all since September, I'm pleased with that.

    Deadlift
    575x3x2 @ 9,9.5 (hook)
    485x5 @ 7.5 (R up)
    Halting DL w/ 1 count hold
    435x5 @ 7.5 (beltless, 1 DOH, 4 R up)
    Notes: DLs were solid today if not spectacular. Last 575 rep of the day was very hard but pretty smooth besides that. I'm now logging my grip, since I'm doing more alternate grip work. Since everything is no longer DOH when light and hook when heavy, I want to keep track. I feel MUCH better about right hand supinated than left, but I'll try to do a bit of left every now and then for all the known reasons. Standard heavy DL is still all belted, but will notate beltless work for stuff that's on the borderline. I generally put on a belt above ~455 right now, but it can vary a bit based on how I feel.

    Sled Push
    Two min clock, 9 round trips of high down/low back
    1x empty
    1x 50lb
    1x 70lb
    6x 80lb

    TKEs to finish, and fugue state.

  3. #2293
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Thanks, Dunk. At my BW, that's over 16,000 lbs of chin-up in 7 minutes. I know my place in the grand scheme of lifters in the world, but I'll allow myself a small pat on the back for doing that after the press and bench work.

    I open with a triple, and after that it's just doubles and singles for me the rest of the way. I imagine there'd be more triples in there if I weighed less than 265 or whatever I weigh these days. Been a while since I checked.
    I do a few more reps than you in my density blocks (not as many more as I should considering our relative bodyweights), and I never do more than a couple triples. I think the secret is all the eccentrics that don't have to be controlled rather than the total fatigue caused by the density of the multi-rep sets. In other words, if I do 2 triples, I have to really control the eccentrics on the first 2 reps of 2 sets (4 eccentrics) and can practically just drop from the bar for the third of each set. If I do 3 doubles, I control 3 eccentrics and practically just drop from the final rep of each double. If I do 6 singles, I don't have to really do any eccentrics at all. Add it up over 61 or 76 reps, and the eccentrics saved add up.

  4. #2294
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I do a few more reps than you in my density blocks (not as many more as I should considering our relative bodyweights), and I never do more than a couple triples. I think the secret is all the eccentrics that don't have to be controlled rather than the total fatigue caused by the density of the multi-rep sets. In other words, if I do 2 triples, I have to really control the eccentrics on the first 2 reps of 2 sets (4 eccentrics) and can practically just drop from the bar for the third of each set. If I do 3 doubles, I control 3 eccentrics and practically just drop from the final rep of each double. If I do 6 singles, I don't have to really do any eccentrics at all. Add it up over 61 or 76 reps, and the eccentrics saved add up.
    This is definitely a good point. I don't do dead-hang chins however, so on the other hand, all the singles don't benefit from any stretch reflex whereas the doubles do. I don't know which of those things outweighs the other in terms of preventing fatigue during the block, or if it's a wash. If you do all dead hang chins, then it's a moot point.

    And hell yes, you should be doing way more than me at your weight!

  5. #2295
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,578

    Default

    Good point about the stretch reflex. Maybe I'll try more doubles/triples next time, since I'm not deadhanging my subsequent reps either. But so far, I've felt like a couple triples, a couple doubles, and then a lot of singles yielded the best numbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    And hell yes, you should be doing way more than me at your weight!
    I would prefer we say you should be doing way fewer than me at yours.

  6. #2296
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Good point about the stretch reflex. Maybe I'll try more doubles/triples next time, since I'm not deadhanging my subsequent reps either. But so far, I've felt like a couple triples, a couple doubles, and then a lot of singles yielded the best numbers.
    I actually have no real idea how many of the 58 reps (after the initial triple) I did in doubles vs singles. My guess would be 40-50% in doubles and 50-60% in singles, but I really don't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I would prefer we say you should be doing way fewer than me at yours.
    We could say that. But then how would I get swole biceps?

  7. #2297
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    We could say that. But then how would I get swole biceps?
    I can't answer that. I think it's CT Campitelli's area of expertise.

  8. #2298
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    Paused CGBP
    275x4x4
    Notes: I think I did all 4 sets. Might've been three. I got into a conversation with one of the gym founders and lost track.

    BW Chins
    12,12,10+2
    Notes: First two sets were easy, left reps in the tank. I was cutting it close for a massage appointment by then, though, so didn't rest as much for the third set. Got 10, dropped down and rested a few seconds, then the last two.

    Massage was really good and deep. My quads are tender as hell, but I needed it.

  9. #2299
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    More PRs today, but I missed the second rep of another double that I should have made. I'm 99.9% sure I could have made both last week's and this week's missed doubles if I'd focused better, but I'm going to take it as a hint from the Barbell Gods and move to singles.

    Bench Press
    387.5x2 - PR @ 9.75
    387.5x1+f
    375x2 @ 9.5
    Notes: Not much to add to what I wrote above. First set wasn't a technique beauty, but I was able to push through. Probably could have made it at 390, but not much more.

    https://instagram.com/p/zvYk0LGIVt/?modal=true

    Press
    216.5x4x5 - (PR) @ 8.5, 9, 9, 9.5, 10
    Notes: Though I've only used 5 sets of 4 reps a few times, this is a PR for that rep range and I'm pretty sure more than I could've done any of the previous times I did it, even had I tried. It got very hard at the end, even with rest of 6+ mins before the final set.

    Weighted Chins
    BW + 46.5x5x5
    Notes: This also got quite hard. It's very close to my PR of 50x5x5 weighted chins (IIRC), so makes sense that it's getting hard. And I think I weigh ~5 lbs more now than I did at that time, too.

    HSPU
    1,2,1

    KB Press
    24kgx6, 32kgx6x2
    KP Push Press
    24kgx3, 32kgx3

    EZ Curl OH Tricep Extension
    91x10x2
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-02-2015 at 10:49 PM. Reason: weight correction

  10. #2300
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,867

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Weighted Chins
    BW + 46.5x5x5
    Notes: This also got quite hard. It's very close to my PR of 50x5x5 weighted chins (IIRC), so makes sense that it's getting hard. And I think I weigh ~5 lbs more now than I did at that time, too.
    Just checked my log entry from 4/25/14 and it was 50x5x4, and then 35x5x2 afterwards. So while that's still my chin volume PR, 46.5x5x5 is sorta technically a chin PR for 5x5.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •