starting strength gym
Page 237 of 443 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Today's training was boring and uneventful, so I'll mention a couple things first.

Thing One: I have joined the crowd and ordered a pair of SBD sleeves. I've heard enough good things from enough people that I thought it worth trying, especially given the knee issues I've been dealing with over the past 6+ months. Sizing was unclear, as I've heard different things from different people. These would be a training pair, I can always get a tighter pair for competition/heaviest training if I want to later. The size chart says 2XL would be a standard fit for my knee circumference, but to size one up for large calves (which I definitely possess), so it's Reg fit for knee and Tight fit for calves. Thought that was a reasonable place to start so ordered 2XL. Hopefully they'll arrive in time for tomorrow's squats, but if not, they should be here for Tuesday for sure.

Thing Two-A: My left knee is bizarrely significantly better over the past few days. It got slowly better as I stopped squatting and rehabbed it, then slowly resumed squatting again, but it was still painful and sensitive. It was tolerable, but still affected my everyday movements and prevented me from trying cleans again. Suddenly, over the past few days, it's significantly better. Not quite 100%, but a lot closer than it's been since before this all started. Barely noticeable low level discomfort at the worst of times. It's only been a few days like this, but it's great.

Thing Two-B: Proof that Wolf's Disease is a thing: my right knee has taken a turn for the worse. It feels different than the left, so don't think it's tendinosis (but could be wrong, these things are hard to go by feel on), and isn't nearly as bad as the left leg was at its worst, but is definitely uncomfortable and is now affecting my movement a little bit. So there you go. I can still lift on in, for now, but keeping my eye on it.

Today's Training:

Press
    185x5 @7, 200x5 @8.5, 212.5x3 @8.5 (misload, should have been 215), 220x3 @9, 200x5 @9, 170x8 @8
    Notes: Getting some more volume in with a slightly heavier exposure, but held back a bit since I'll press again on Sunday instead of Monday.

Bench Press Rehab
    45x20, 95x20, 115x20x3
    Notes: Have I mentioned I hate high rep stuff yet? Did the same thing with 105 yesterday. Can still feel the spot in my pec a bit when I get to the end of the sets at 115, but I never feel in any daily activity anymore, at all. Hopefully I can resume benching soon.

HSPU
    Notes: A little harder than I expected, though I haven't done any in 2.5 weeks.

Deadlift Rehab
    135x10x3

KB Press
    20kgx5, 24kgx5
    Notes: Super easy. Held back on volume again because pressing Sun instead of Mon.

BW Rows
    BWx8x3
    Notes: Used a much lower height for the bar this time, about as low as I could go and still straighten my arms on the eccentric, so harder than last time. Want to do chinssss!!! Heal up, Pec!
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-09-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Don't cut...just ask for extra beans with your Chipotle. Up the fiber! You'll hold less weight.

You are old KONG weight. I'm now old Wolf weight. Lets both be old Wolf weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Don't cut...just ask for extra beans with your Chipotle. Up the fiber! You'll hold less weight.

You are old KONG weight. I'm now old Wolf weight. Lets both be old Wolf weight.
    Just so we're all on the same page, what's old Wolf weight? Depends how far back we go!

SBDs arrived in time to use today. XXL seems like the right training size, probably XL if I want to get some extra lbs from them for comp purposes. I don't like it in principle, but I'm not quite principled enough to lose out on an advantage everyone else is using, when it's within the rules. Hard to see myself putting on Larges with plastic bags, though. The XXLs were a little annoying to get on and off, but not terrible.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x3, 405x3(b), 435x3 @7, 455x3 @8, 465x3 @9, 405x10 @TalkedtoJesus but probably could have done 5 more if there was a gun to me head.
    Notes: 405x10. Ya, that was dumb. I never do heavy 10s, just wanted to see if I could and what it was like. It sucked balls, is what. The bar speed barely changed, but it was awful in every other way. Never really caught my breath after that.

DL
    135x5, 225x5, 295x5x2, 345x5, 375x5
    Notes: All easy, back feeling better. Still DOH and no belt. Back still bothers me a little when sitting for a while or in some awkward positions, but overall getting much better.

Did bench rehab (45x20, 75x20, 105x20, 125x20x3) and TKEs etc to finish. Was going to try sled again but was still legit huffing a bit from the squat set so canned it.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-10-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Gawd, I'm so glad I'm finished with 8 rep sets for now. For me, the worst part of high reps is not during the set, but that HORRIBLE feeling I get like I'm going to die after the set is over. It's like after I take the belt off, I just wanna go to bed....so hard to get my breath at that point.

Anyway, nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Gawd, I'm so glad I'm finished with 8 rep sets for now. For me, the worst part of high reps is not during the set, but that HORRIBLE feeling I get like I'm going to die after the set is over. It's like after I take the belt off, I just wanna go to bed....so hard to get my breath at that point.

Anyway, nice work!
    I know a lot of people use 8 rep sets and even higher, but man, other than a back off set here and there for bench and press, I just hate anything above 5 for the barbell lifts. That 405x10 was hell, even though the bar speed barely changed. Congrats on being done with em for now. I get around that by never using them.

Quickie today at Crossfit 615 in Nashville.

Press
    205x5x5 @ 8,8,8.5,9,9.25
    Notes: One day's less rest than usual + morning workout made these hard by the end. Only really hard thing of the day though, glad I got through em.

Bench Press Rehab
    45x20, 95x20, 115x20, 135x20x2
    Notes: Fuck 20 reps. So much burn on the 135 sets. Can feel the part of my pec more acutely towards the end of these sets.

Deadlift Back Rehab
    135x10x3

HSPU
    Notes: Tris were torched after the presses and super high rep bench, so these were hard.

Chins Test
    Two triples - pec didn't hurt or feel uncomfortable, but I could just feel it differently than the rest. This is lingering a lot longer than I thought it would.

Stick with the twenties on bench. I feel like I get a lot of tissue growth in that range. I may be using my bro feels on that though.

Also, old wolf weight is the 260-5. That's where I am now. Old kong weight was 270-5 which is where you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Stick with the twenties on bench. I feel like I get a lot of tissue growth in that range. I may be using my bro feels on that though.

Also, old wolf weight is the 260-5. That's where I am now. Old kong weight was 270-5 which is where you are now.
    I'm using the high rep stuff purely for rehab purposes. Once it feels better - and the past few days seem to have been good to it - I'll stop. 260-265 though, that sounds about right for my weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Rough day today. Both knees were crabby and I missed breakfast and was low on energy.
    Got through planned weight work, but was harder than expected and had to cut conditioning short before I really got going.

Squat
    375x5 @6.5, 405x5 @7.5, 425x5 @8.5, 435x5 @9
    Notes: Harder than I expected, and very winded by these. Even the 375x5 set left me pretty winded. Knees weren't cooperating much either, they twinged while gettiing forward into position, about halfway, which was causing me to try to artificially keep them back, which in turn caused knee slide since they can't stay that far back. It wasn't bad pain, it was just a consistent twinge at a very inopportune moment in the movement.

Second time with the SBD sleeves, I can get them on OK but need to improve getting them right where I want them. Once they're on, they pretty much stay where they are. I haven't figured yet out how to move them - making minor adjustments - once they're on. This may be due to my calf size, but even folding them back up the way I do to get them on in the first place doesn't really work. Any wisdom from longer using SBD-ers in the peanut gallery is invited.

Deadlift
    135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5 (b), 425x5, 455x2
    Notes: Used DOH through first three reps of 425 then switched to hook. Could have finished DOH but my hands were sweaty despite the chalk and I don't want to mess with anything on the DL right now. It's funny how quickly the nervous system adapts to a lack of heavy weight. Could have pulled 455x5 DOH a month ago, now 425 is close to the edge. But it'll come back quickly, as it always does. Anyway, 425 was slower than expected, but everything was hard today so eh. Back is feeling a lot better over the past few days, it's probably back up to 85-90% now. I'll probably pull 465x5 Friday and then switch back to lighter and heavier pulling days within the week.

C2 Erg
    30/60x4.5
    I was going nice and easy around 1:45 pacing, just getting back into it with some re-adjustment work, but my abs kept cramping up (left side towards the top). This has never happened to me before on the erg, so I just took at as a sign that I was done, stopped in the middle of the 5th interval. Blah.

Also realizing this cut is going to be a bit rough - 8 weekends in a row, starting with this last one, in which I have events and/or controlling my food intake will be very challenging. In order to continue training hard, my margins are slim and going off on the weekends is going to make getting any solid consistency pretty hard. There are certainly ways around this to make it work, I just don't know if I have the mental energy to care enough to do them. We'll see.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-14-2015 at 10:26 PM.