starting strength gym
Page 25 of 443 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    You will, because Rob talked me in to doing the serious USAPL meet over the "Christmas Carnage" RPS meet also in Philly the same day. See, each of you is working to qualify for some serious national level business or another; Rob as a Masters and you as an Open. Me, I'm not that good. Just competing to have fun. Showing up to the Christmas Carnage meet with "Hanukkah Hoedown" or some such nonsense emblazoned on my singlet would have been hilarious. Well, at least to me.

But serious national level business won out in the end. Will be good to see you in Philly though. I might even have a respectable showing if I can get these 3 months of training in without getting sick or injured again.
    If you make a Hebrew themed singlet I want in, with a last name like Feigenbaum people already know...lol.

Nothing serious going on here, just lifting weights and trying to get by squat up to a respectable level!

Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    If you make a Hebrew themed singlet I want in, with a last name like Feigenbaum people already know...lol.

Nothing serious going on here, just lifting weights and trying to get by squat up to a respectable level!
    Holy shit, we can be the hebrew powerlifting mafia. I have another strong jew at my gym, plus there are the Mounsey sisters....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    Holy shit, we can be the hebrew powerlifting mafia. I have another strong jew at my gym, plus there are the Mounsey sisters....
    Nickname in college= Hebrew Hammer lol

Feeling like I'm getting back in the groove today. First today of absolutely no more cold symptoms whatsoever, though I did have a headache, which annoyed me. 3 aleve helped. Also was supposed to start conditioning, but second breakfast still felt a bit heavy in the belly, so I decided I'll walk the half hour each way to and from my dentist appointment this afternoon and that'll ease me back into doing some conditioning.

Squats - ramping sets again
    45x5x3, 135x5, 195x5, 255x5, 315x5, 365x5, 405x1
    When planning today's sets, was hemming and hawing between 355 and 365 for the last work set. Decided to base it on how 315 felt. It felt easy, so I did 365. Last rep had to push a bit but besides that all reps and sets were easy and smooth. Had plenty of energy left so decided to hit the 405 for a single, which was also pretty smooth and easy. Didn't rest much between sets. 1.5-2.5 minutes. Until between 315 and 365 I probably took 4.

Press - also ramping
    45x5, 85x5, 105x5, 125x5, 145x5, 155x5, 175x1
    Same thing here - everything felt smooth and pretty easy, so did a 175x1 just to feel the heavier weight again sooner.

Deadlift
    155x4, 265x2, 355x1, 425x5
    Decided on 425 based on how easy 365 was on Saturday along with my squats today. 425 was the right weight. I had to work a little bit, but it wasn't hard or near limit.

Overall I'm pleased with my first week back, especially since I started it before I was fully back to 100%. A bit risky, but I have lost so much training time this year that I just needed to get back. It looks as though I planned the return properly, and now am set to make a quicker comeback for it, than if I had waited till today to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    Nickname in college= Hebrew Hammer lol
    Dude, first of all, my nickname at my first managerial position 5+ years ago was Hebrew Hammer, so we're gonna have to fight about that one. Second, I like where we're going with this Tribesman Mafia thing. We can get blue and white matching singlets with all sorts of stupid corny hebrew/jewish stuff written on them.

"They've got the A-Team, but we've got the J-Team"
    "Once you go Jew, nothing else will do"
    "A penny saved is a dollar deadlifted"

I'm on a roll!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Dude, first of all, my nickname at my first managerial position 5+ years ago was Hebrew Hammer, so we're gonna have to fight about that one. Second, I like where we're going with this Tribesman Mafia thing. We can get blue and white matching singlets with all sorts of stupid corny hebrew/jewish stuff written on them.

"They've got the A-Team, but we've got the J-Team"
    "Once you go Jew, nothing else will do"
    "A penny saved is a dollar deadlifted"

I'm on a roll!

Jew da' man, Wolf! L'chaim!

"You vont usual?" - cracked up! The reuben is really something. Granted I'm a sucker for corned beef, but it was so good. Glad we could turn you on to a new awesome lunch option there. Why did I think you were from the Chicago area? Was I totally making that up?
    I bet you had me and Karl mixed up. We were chatting together at the group dinner and we are built quite a bit alike. I have about ten or fifteen years on him, though. Karl's from the Chicago burbs I live a bit southwest of MKE but work real close to the seminar site.

Great work in here, btw. Good luck in the meets coming up...

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    I bet you had me and Karl mixed up. We were chatting together at the group dinner and we are built quite a bit alike. I have about ten or fifteen years on him, though. Karl's from the Chicago burbs I live a bit southwest of MKE but work real close to the seminar site.

Well I definitely remember who you are, but maybe I was mixing up what each of you told me. Either way, jealous that you get to enjoy that Reuben so often. I'd take one for lunch today if I could!

Thanks Bob - I have the 1500 total as a near term goal. It was supposed to happen before end of the year 2012, but with the time lost to training to let some tendinitis heal and then getting sick twice, don't think I'll quite make it in time. But 1430 by December 1 seems achievable with hard work and no further time-off set backs.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post

I am indeed a Chicago suburbanite, and we are shaped similarly, but Bob is much better looking than me.

Thanks for the great seminar, Wolf.

Just have a minute to log today's training. Will be back later to respond to your guys' comments.

Felt really good today. Strong. Ready to make gains again next week.

Also tore my boxer briefs again today while squatting. That's twice in a couple months. Can't you get a decent stretchy boxer brief?!?

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x5, 295x5, 350x5, 395x5, 425x1
    Once again did ramping sets and a heavy single. The last rep of the 395 set was a bit harder, but everything else was smooooooth sailing. I have 2 days off till I squat next so did the 425 just cuz. Rested a bit longer today, but still short until between 295-350. Took about 3 minutes there, then more like 5 before 395.

Bench Press - fucked up my loading scheme. Was supposed to do ramping, but realized I had done the 5,3,2 warmup sets. So did 3 heavier sets, but only one at today's top planned weight for ramping sets of 275. Rested about 3 mins between "work sets."
    45x5, 135x5, 185x3, 235x2, 275x5, 265x5, 255x5

Chins
    Much better than Monday's lame attempt.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by byzkarl View Post
    I am indeed a Chicago suburbanite, and we are shaped similarly, but Bob is much better looking than me.

Thanks for the great seminar, Wolf.
    You guys are too funny! Glad your seminar experience was a great one, too.

I'm from Chicago - born in the burbs (LaGrange, then moved to Villa Park, then Skokie) and raised on the northwest side of the city (Rogers Park). I haven't lived there since I was 18, so I don't know much in the way of the real food scene, but still know the city and northern suburbs geography pretty well.

More importantly, and sadly, my heart is stuck on being a Chicago sports fan. Even the Cubs. <Sigh> Though I am excited about Da Bears this year. If they can stay relatively injury free (which is always a huge if, in any sport, but especially football), they can contend.
    EDIT: Just saw THIS on espn.com. Looks like I'm not alone in my optimism, nor wearing beer goggles.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-07-2012 at 09:27 PM.