Page 257 of 443 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307357 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    That's a lot of squat spotters.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Good job Wolf. In the long run, I'm not worried about your DL. We know it has the opportunity to be really big once you get the tweak under control. Always hard to judge how hard to push before a meet. Maybe that tough third rep in training was a mistake but how to know these things without throttling down too much? Great job on SQ's and a really solid meet overall.
    Thanks Walter. I'm not too worried about it either, was just venting some frustration. But I do have some DL stuff I definitely need to work on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Jesus, you crushed those squats dude. I think you had at least 10kg in the tank.
    Could be - which would basically be 585/6plates. This is my aggressive goal for the Fall Classic at the end of October. Would be awesome to hit it for the first time at an SS event.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Tough break on the DL. Glad to see you back on the platform. Definitely a positive showing in my book and now you get to work towards a healthy training cycle and some PR's. Nice job brother.
    Thanks Rob. Sorry I missed all your lifting Saturday, but at least I made it for your "as usual" first place award ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Impressive total, Wolf! Why were you having difficulty with the hook on your 2nd? I'm curious because I haven't been able to set mine consistently this summer, and I'm not quite sure why (although I have a few ideas).
    I'm not sure if anything was wrong with my hook, or if it is just on the edge of what I can currently hold with a hook grip. The 610x2 a couple weeks ago was the most I've previously done with a hook. My mixed grip is stronger but I set up SO much better for the pull using a hookgrip, and since I didn't really alternate much in training recently, I went with the hook for the meet. I think part of the reason I didn't get a good full lockout was because the bar wasn't solidly controlled in my hands. If you've experienced this, you know that for some reason, it effects all parts of the lift.

But I do know what you mean about the hook sometimes being solid and sometimes less so; it does come and go a bit - I had a rougher spell at the end of last year/first few months of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    Hey man:
    great meet totals, good to meet you. Now let's go kill it at the Nationals.
    Good to meet you too, Lou! I'm not planning on doing Nationals this year, but hopefully next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Good job, Wolf! It looked like you could have doubled your 3rd squat attempt.
    It does, doesn't it? This bodes well for a shot at 585 in October.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCoffee View Post
    That's a lot of squat spotters.
    Indeed.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-04-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Trained today at Gold's Gym San Diego, which was an interesting mix of bodybuilding & BB-esque stuff, powerlifting & PL-esque stuff, and a regular globo gym. The day fee was only $10, and a regular membership is only $300/year, which astounds me. I didn't go around doing an inventory but I saw 2 full racks (one with attached platform), 2 of those angled squat racks, a DL platform, and a monolift, along with plenty of iron. They also had several old York training bars with the split sleeves. I used one: it was bent and the knurling was rubbed smooth, but it still spun beautifully. Rip isn't joking when he says those are amazing bars.

Squat - beltless, no knee sleeves
    45x8x2, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 345x3 (high bar only), 365x3 - all done both high bar and low bar, with 1 rep from each set paused
    Then 405x3 low bar only, with a belt
    Notes: Though a light day by all accounts, this is both sooner and much more than I usually do this soon after a meet. A couple reasons:
    1. I wanted to do something not so pathetically light on Thursday, when I train with The Legend at Horn S&C. So I needed to do this today, one day sooner than I usually lift after a meet, instead of tomorrow.
    2. There were some attractive ladies about. It's completely illogical: I will never see them again, I have a gf, who cares? But there's just something primal about not looking like a total wimp in front of attractive women.
    3. The gym is chalk friendly but doesn't provide chalk, you have to bring your own. And it was hot and I was sweating quite a bit. And most of the bars' knurls were totally smooth, except one of those really weird Ivanko bars with like 17 score marks and about 6 inches of smooth in the center - not enough to deadlift with without tearing up my shins. If it was an important training sessions, I'd tear my shins right up but this is just a first time back lighter lift anyway, so I quickly realized I'd need to go much lighter than planned in the DL.

So with that realized and decided, I figured I'd squat a little more and heavier to somewhat make up for the DL. The bar was not secure and at 365 I noticed it wanting to slide down my back, so for 405 I actually wrapped my thumbs around the bar, which I never do for low bar. I didn't bring my wrist wraps on this trip, thinking I wouldn't go heavy enough to need them. Alas, I could've used them for that today. I could've gone heavier, squat-wise, but the thumb wrapping was distracting and uncomfortable, since I'm not used to it, and I had accomplished what I needed to for today's purpose anyway. There was no need to get especially uncomfortable or tweak a wrist, or risk elbow tendinitis issues, for a light first day back squat session.

Oh, also: this is definitely the most volume and heaviest I've squatted without any knee sleeves since I first put on a pair of rehbands almost exactly two years ago. I brought my sleeves on the trip, but walked into the gym thinking I'd stop squatting at 275 or 315. I was very happy with how fine my knees were, particularly given how problematic they've been over the past 10 months.

Press - beltless, wrapless
    45x8, 95x8, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5x2, 185x3 @6, 195x2 @7, 205x1 @7.5, 145x10 @7
    Notes: Same deal here: intended to go lighter. Then didn't. Still a light workout, happy with these RPEs for beltless and wrapless presses considering I haven't trained the press often or hard in at least a few weeks.

DL
    155x5, 245x3, 295x3
    Notes: Used that Ivanko bar, but it was awful. Just stopped.

Having access to equipment I normally don't, I bro'd out for a few minutes:

DB Bench Press
    55x10, 70x8, 85x8, 95x8
    Notes: Haven't done these in years, IIRC, and they were so easy. The hardest part was getting back up after the set while holding the weights because my erectors are still kinda fried from Sunday. Wou'dve gone much heavier if not for that.

Lat PD
    Tried one set just to see how it felt. Didn't hurt the pec area, but felt it so shut it down. 1 set of 12 on the 12th plate of...18? 20? (oh, how I miss thee globo gyms) and it was easy.

DB Curls and Hammer Curls
    45x8, then 25x6, 20x12 hammers. Hammers felt good on my elbows.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-04-2015 at 07:22 PM.

You and the gf are quite the travelers. Beautiful squats this weekend Wolf.

Wolf, just wanted to thank you for showing interest in my son's lifting last Sunday. i told him you were a SSC and you asked how he did. Dwayne had some nice things to say to him also. Made him feel good. See you in Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by romo View Post
    Wolf, just wanted to thank you for showing interest in my son's lifting last Sunday. i told him you were a SSC and you asked how he did. Dwayne had some nice things to say to him also. Made him feel good. See you in Oct.
    He keeps training, he'll be out-squatting me before too long. Hope to see him hit that 500 in October.

Congrats on the squat PR this weekend. Also, while you're in So Cal, make sure to eat a ton of Mexican food. For real.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bickford View Post
    Congrats on the squat PR this weekend. Also, while you're in So Cal, make sure to eat a ton of Mexican food. For real.
    Thanks. You mean Chipotle, I assume.

Training with The Legend today. Just seeing his pythons writhe within his XXXL shirts that can barely contain their mass is inspiring.

Squat (rehbands, belt for the 405 and 425 reps)
    45x6x3, 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 325x5, 365x3, 405x1, 425x1, 315x5
    Notes: All fine. Had access to good equipment today for DLs, so kept squats lighter.

Close Grip BP
    45x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 265x5, 295x4, 315x2, 275x5
    Notes: All easy.

Deadlift - beltless, Romaleos
    135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 365x2, 405x1, 455x1, 315x8
    Notes: Back is getting better but is still irritated and tweaky. Worked up to a heavier but still very easy single and then much lighter back-off set of 8. Hook grip for 405 and 455.

I haven't DL'd in higher heels like this since I switched to the 1/2" heel two years ago. Felt fine, though I will probably keep DL's lighter for another couple weeks.

Had a ton of fun training with Paul and, most importantly, we produced this masterpiece of photographic genius: https://instagram.com/p/6D0ks7S4dI/
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-06-2015 at 07:46 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Great photo of real training in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Training with The Legend today. Just seeing his pythons writhe within his XXXL shirts that can barely contain their mass is inspiring.
    cue KOTJ for python talk.