starting strength gym
Page 259 of 443 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269309359 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,590 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been aggressive trying to get my back and knees on track. A lot of time with the rumble roller, a lacrosse ball, stretching (for my back, for the first time in a while), compression with bands (aka flossing), a tens unit, and ice packs. Both have responded and have gotten better over the past 2-3 days of this, hopefully will continue to do so.
    I respect your work on all this. My knee was getting better from not squatting, but I stopped a lot of my pre-hab and then had set back this last weekend. (I think bicycling actually). I got back to banded-knee extensions finally, but need to get the voodoo bands out.

I'm curious also how you are using the tens unit and if you are icing you knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I respect your work on all this. My knee was getting better from not squatting, but I stopped a lot of my pre-hab and then had set back this last weekend. (I think bicycling actually). I got back to banded-knee extensions finally, but need to get the voodoo bands out.

I'm curious also how you are using the tens unit and if you are icing you knees.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    Where are you flossing and does it help? What brand of band do you recommend?
    How are you using the tens unit? I have one but haven't used it and I'm curious about it.
    Glad things are feeling better!
    I didn't mention it, Rob, but sometime over the past few months, I also got lazy and stopped doing the banded extensions/TKEs as often; probably 1-2x/week instead of at least 4, sometimes 5. I've started doing them again after every workout.

I'm rolling, flossing, tens-ing, and icing the quad tendon above and just into the top of the patella. I put the pads for the tens unit there as well. I roll pretty aggressively until I can't take it anymore, then floss 1-2 times each knee, then stim followed by ice for 10-15 mins each. I'm trying to do this whole series at home at least once a day, twice if I can. I also roll and floss at the gym right before lifting.

I have the Rogue floss bands, a pair each of black and a red, but there are cheaper options available now on Amazon; can't speak to their quality, my bands from rogue have held up well.

I have also rolled, iced, and tens-ed my erectors - though haven't done the latter since the meet, but did seem to help the recovery some leading up to it.

Either my continued efforts are working or I just had a good day, but knees felt better today than they have in about a month.

Squat - rehbands + belt
    365x5, 385x5, 405x5 @7, 365x5
    Notes: Solid, easy, slightly less out of breath than I have been. Can't remember if I mentioned, but I've continued squatting in the romaleos since I've returned from vacation. Though they do tend to get me forward more easily due to the higher heel, I have some thoughts - which may or may not be correct - on them possibly being better for my knees. I need to focus on staying tight more with them compared to the 1/2" rogues, but I'm going to try this for a bit and see.

Press
    135x5, 160x5, 177.5x5 - beltless
    185x5, 195x3x2 @7,7.5 - belt
    175x5 - beltless
    Notes: Put on the hammy band for this, which I haven't worn in months, since getting under the bar has been hurting my left knee. Felt much better. Also working on a new breathing pattern for my take-out into first rep. Also working on not sucking at the press.

DL
    135x5, 225x5, 315x5x3
    Notes: Back is feeling better but still a little tweaky so kept the weight down and did a larger number of perfect and easy reps. Felt good.

C2 Erg - 20/80 x 8
    Paces: Most in the low 1:30's, fastest one at 1:28.
    Notes: Back and knees actually felt like I could push this today, for the first time since before the meet. I went a bit faster, but still held back a bit to keep the ramp up consistent.

When you've worked out all your thoughts on the higher heels, share them with us please. I'm always looking for ways to make my knees not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    When you've worked out all your thoughts on the higher heels, share them with us please. I'm always looking for ways to make my knees not hurt.
    Will do. Busy at the moment but will explain at some point.

This quad tendon/knee therapy intensive is working well. After a solid week of doing the entire procedure at least once a day, usually with some rumble rolling and flossing at other times of the day as well, my knees feel better than they have since before I can remember. I think since before this all started 11 months ago. Since I'm doing several things and not isolating any one variable, it's difficult to say with absolute certainty what the main contributors are, but my sense is that it's 1. consistency and 2. The addition of regular e-stim on the tendons.

Anyway, very glad that to feel the improvement after so long. Back is still healing slowly, but I know it will be OK given time.

Squat - rehbands, belt
    [375, 395, 415, 395, 375, 355] x 5 on a strict 4 minute clock.
    Notes: Holy cardio, Batman! Sets were all solid from strength perspective, nothing hard. But I was sweating and breathing heavy from this, big time. It was a good way to get in some base conditioning at the beginning of a cycle while things are still lighter, while still accruing ~11,500 of tonnage at an average weight of 385.

I will obviously rest more when doing some of my heavier volume work to come, but this was a fun little first day back into things.

Press - some with belt, no wraps
    165x5, 185x5 (put on belt here for rest of heavy sets), 195x5, 185x5, 175x5, 145x10 (no belt)
    Notes: 195 was a bit hard, but this will come back. Perhaps the oddest thing is that I feel generally forward when I press in my Romaleos - both my weight and the bar path. Even though I know this and try to correct for it, I still found myself forward on every set, bar path out away from me a bit, making it harder. May go back to using the 1/2" rogues for pressing as well.

Power Clean
    135, 165, 185, 205, 215x2 sets, 185 - all for 1+2 clean pull + power clean
    Notes: Focused on waiting for the right spot on my thigh and getting my hips through. Mixed bag. Having my back still be a bit tweaky didn't help, but knees felt good.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-24-2015 at 03:58 PM.

I've never seen you move so fast. No wonder you were breathing heavy!

Hey Wolf! What's that in your red shaker? Secret gainzzz?

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I've never seen you move so fast. No wonder you were breathing heavy!
    People assume that just because I'm a big guy, I can't move fast. Finally, I have unequivocal proof of just how speedy I truly am. I have a better first step than Allen Iverson.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeKa View Post
    Hey Wolf! What's that in your red shaker? Secret gainzzz?
    Heh, nothing quite so grand. Just some Gatorade G2 powder mixed with water.

starting strength coach development program
    OK day. Back is still bothering me and it's oddly both sides (I originally tweaked, and thought I had just re-tweaked, only the left side). But was still able to go up a bit in the DL, but felt my back during bench press and erging.

Squat Warmup - naked knees
    95x5, 135x3, 185x3

Deadlift - DOH
    185x5, 275x5, 325x5, 345x5x2
    Notes: These felt solid. Still wore Nikes and despite being aware of and trying to correct for it, I started a bit forward. Just a bit. Overall they felt solid, and back felt OK and held up well.

Bench Press - beltless
    135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 265x5, 295x5, 305x5 @8.25, 275x5 (last set "wide grip" aka half an inch narrower than my old regular grip aka pinky just inside the PL line).
    Notes: I have a bit of trouble finding a good groove with the medium grip bench. Close grip and my old regular grip are fine, but I just have a hard time finding a good, consistent bar path with the in-between grip I'm currently taking to keep my shoulders and pec happier. 305 was a little harder than expected, but these'll come back, not worried.

Ring Rows
    BW x 7 x3

C2 Erg - 25/75x8
    Paces: 1:54, 1:51, 1:40.8, 1:36.8, 1:38.4, 1:41.6, 1:42.4, 1:40.0
    Notes: Felt my back get cranky after the 4th and 5th one, so flexed it less and used more legs and arms and went a bit slower. Helped some. These weren't hard, just couldn't push them today because of my back.