starting strength gym
Page 263 of 443 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273313363 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Create a separate category for high bar squats on the PR board, then high bar enough to be at the top for that lift to assert your authority. That's the only reasoning weightlifters listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    Create a separate category for high bar squats on the PR board, then high bar enough to be at the top for that lift to assert your authority. That's the only reasoning weightlifters listen to.
    The best high bar at the gym that I know of is a questionable depth 455. So I could do that easily. But my experience is that it wouldn't matter as far as these conversations go. Hell man, my power clean - which I don't train as often or with as much volume or focus as any of the other lifts, and not even close to the amount these people train their cleans - is more than anyone else's at the gym, and more than all but a couple people's squat cleans. Doesn't matter. When your mind is not open to possibilities, there's always a reason not to pay attention to things that cast doubt on your worldview.

You may clean the most, but I bet your clean to squat ratio is worse than theirs.

How come you never do jerks and snatches?

Quote Originally Posted by trick_ster View Post
    You may clean the most, but I bet your clean to squat ratio is worse than theirs.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. In case you're not: You'd be right, but that's not the point, is it? 1) The person who lifts the most weight wins the meet, not the person with the best % clean relative to their squat* 2) You wouldn't expect someone who puts as (relatively) little training time into their clean as I do to have as efficient conversion as people who clean 4-6x/week 3) It's still my POWER clean that's more than all but a couple of people's squat clean.

How come you never do jerks and snatches?
    I never trained the olympic lifts in as serious a way as you'd do for a meet, but I did do them somewhat regularly from late 2008 to mid-2010, IIRC. I was at a facility where you couldn't drop (you could get away with it in a miss every now and then, but no more than that), so was somewhat limited in my ability to push things hard, plus even then the olympic lifts weren't my primary training but more of a side project. I'd work them regularly but like 1-2x/week, usually after regular lifting. I never worked on or developed my split jerk much, either, because of not being able to drop. I think I snatched 80kg, power clean and push jerked 240 for a double or triple. That's what I remember, anyway. I wasn't pushing it hard at all.

Now, I can't really snatch because my left shoulder is messed up due to a first attempt bench injury at the meet I did in 12/2012. Had some rotator cuff damage and probably a labral tear. It doesn't effect daily life at all, just overhead squat/snatch position, so I'm not in a rush to get surgery for something that doesn't bother me at all during daily life and than I can train around if I don't snatch.

But mostly it's because I fell in love with strength training. I just enjoy it so much, and enjoy focusing on it. If I really wanted to olympic lift (and not get surgery), I'd need to split clean (because of my ankles), and split snatch or get surgery (because of my shoulder). Will those things happen one day? Maybe but not certainly.

* I am aware of the % that some olympic lifting coaches use for these things. I don't see how this agrees with our model of analysis, however: First, deriving an ought from an is / phenomenology rather than analysis (this ratio is observed in some good lifters, therefore it must be something to strive for VS investigating from first principles if there is a good reason to strive for a specific ratio in the first place). And second, not really recognizing strength as a primary driver of increase in the lifts beyond a certain point of technical proficiency which can only be marginally increased after a while and limited ability to increase one's genetically endowed RFD/explosiveness.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-25-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Was still somewhat fatigued from this week's volume, didn't have my best focus today but popped out a pretty good training session.

Squat - SBDs + Belt
    485x2, 505x2 @8.5; 515x2x2 @9, 9; 565 x 10 second walk out, 485x2
    Notes: Didn't stay super tight in the hole and didn't get great bounces but these were OK. Haven't touched 500 since meet day on August 2, so not too upset that these were a little less than perfect. I have three more weeks to get my nervous system used to handling heavier loads for lower reps. Speaking of, the 565 walkout felt so freakin heavy. Can't believe I squatted that so easily so recently.

Deadlift
    495x5 @ 6.5 - L up
    535x5 @ 8.5 - R up
    565x2 @8.5 - R up
    Notes: I was already pretty tired after the 495, so RPEs increased more than usual. Still, felt solid overall and held my back well.
    https://instagram.com/p/8EXjUsmIbz/?...=wolf_strength

CGBP - beltless
    275x5, 295x5, 315x3, 335x3, 345x3 @9, 295x5, 275x5
    Notes: Was pretty tired by this point but still went well.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-26-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Man, thanks for the thorough reply! More than my silly comment warranted.

It's too bad you are not in a state to do the full quick lifts. Watching you move heavy weights fast would've been fun.

Strongman, maybe?

Man, thanks for the thorough reply! More than my silly comment warranted.

It's too bad you are not in a state to do the full quick lifts. Watching you move heavy weights fast would've been fun.

Strongman, maybe?
    Ya, I sometimes wish I would have known sooner what kind of permanent damage I was doing to my ankles. Ah well, no sense in dwelling on the could'ves. Strongman, nah, not for me. So many injuries (and I'm already a bit injury prone), and you need space to seriously train those events that doesn't really exist where I live.

Yesterday's heaviest squats and work-set pulls, in case anyone wants to see me get loose on squats and not do a good job of staying mid-foot on pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Yesterday's heaviest squats and work-set pulls, in case anyone wants to see me get loose on squats and not do a good job of staying mid-foot on pulls.
    You're hard on yourself, these aren't that bad. I was expecting worse.

starting strength coach development program
    Killer calves!
    Have you ever thought about strengthening your hook grip (if something like that exists) instead of switching back to mixed? e.g. just holding very heavy weights with the hook and see if there is progression over time.

I love your log by the way, it is intensely motivational. Keep it up!