starting strength gym
Page 265 of 443 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275315365 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,650 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Wolf!
    If your laptop is working again and you happen to have some spare time, I'd be glad to hear your opinion on my post from last month:
    link

Quote Originally Posted by CeeKa View Post
    Hey Wolf!
    If your laptop is working again and you happen to have some spare time, I'd be glad to hear your opinion on my post from last month:
    link
    I haven't used this method, don't really know. Might work, though the strength/endurance line can get kind of vague here. Anyone with experience trying this is welcome to chime in.

What kinda of training are you don fright now? Seems a bit DUPish.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bickford View Post
    What kinda of training are you don fright now? Seems a bit DUPish.
    Yerp, it's my own creation, combining elements from the 4 Day TM that I ran for almost two years, DUP, and autoregulation, and Tuchscherer's generalized intermediate template. It's not exactly any of them (except maybe DUP, because so many things technically fit within "DUP"), but borrows ideas from all. It's basically a three week repeating cycle with volume and intensity work (TMish) each week on squat, press, bench, and DL, with PRs or maxes done every three weeks, but only if they're there. Volume and intensity in each lift every week have planned sets and reps, but exact weights and volume are autoregulated as necessary, as are the max/PR attempts. Volume day generally uses 20-40 total reps in the 4-6 range and intensity day generally uses 8-16 total reps in the 1-3 rep range, but RPEs can vary quite a bit depending which week I'm in and what I'm trying to do that day.

It's kinda late so maybe I haven't explained this very clearly.

After returning from the conference and working 6 days in a row including my strength cycle's in-house meet yesterday, it was nice to have a day off to sleep in, catch up on client programming, and lift at my leisure later in the day. I'm feeling fatigued, but hit some solid numbers and small PRs today.

Squat - SBDs, belt
    455x2, 485x2 @7 - loose belt
    510x2 @8; 535x2 @9.5 - PR double; 555x1 @ 9.75 - gym PR
    455x3 @8, 405x5 @7.5 - loose belt
    Notes: Left knee displayed new tweakiness today. Seemed like patellar tendon, and on the way up, instead of the usual quad tendon on the descent. Threw me off quite a bit, and made some of the reps loose in anticipation of the pain, but still got all my planned numbers including a PR double (the first rep of which was FAST before I got loose and out of the groove on the second), and a gym PR single afterwards.

This is my last max/near max squat workout before the Fall Classic, so happy to get these while still under fatigue from my training. Taper and peak should do me some good.

Press - belt + wrist wraps
    205x5 @7.5 (no wraps), 225x5 @9.25, 215x5x2 @8.5, 9; 205x5 @8, 195x5 @8 (no wraps)
    Notes: I've done 225x5 three or four times before, but each time was a warm-up to a 5RM. Doing it after both heavy squats and after a 205x5 work-set is a PR of sorts in it's own right, and it was still a 9.25, so this is huge for me. Makes me feel good about my chances at 270 at the meet.

Deadlift
    185x5, 275x4, 315x3, 355x3, 385x3 - DOH, beltless
    405x3 - hook, loose belt
    Notes: Rest and a massage over the weekend have my erector doing better. Didn't push this too hard today, all sets and reps felt good and solid and just stopped at 405. Will go a little heavier tomorrow but still be conservative, then can hopefully get one actual DL session in on Friday. But if it's still not ready Friday, I'll stay conservative. Normally 9 days out would be too close anyway, but considering I've basically had to skip/go much lighter on 3 DL sessions in a row, I'm not dealing with much or any leftover fatigue and a restrained heavy-ish day 9 days out should be fine.

Video will be up when it completes processing.

Videos:

535x2 - separate, because of the weird way YouTube handles music copyright stuff (Karl, if you're reading this, take note of music). First rep looked like it could have been 535x4. Got looser in the second rep, but might've had a third if I got back in the groove and didn't need to worry about a heavier single afterwards.

485, 510x2; 555x1, and the 225x5 press:
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-12-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Verbos, but clear. I essentially just ran out the TM, I need to make some changes the next time around so allow for more pressing and bench volume. They've lagged greatly and need a lot more volume to get them up to speed.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bickford View Post
    Verbos, but clear. I essentially just ran out the TM, I need to make some changes the next time around so allow for more pressing and bench volume. They've lagged greatly and need a lot more volume to get them up to speed.
    I've added volume to all my lifts via both the volume and intensity day. I often do a lot more than 5x5 for volume and a lot more than 3-6 total reps for intensity, as I mentioned above. But I'm not always pushing for increases or using as high %s / RPEs as before when on the TM. For a long time, I was in the mindset that nothing below 405 could possibly count as a squat work set for me. Getting out of that mindset for all the lifts and their equivalent numbers in my head of what "should" be a work set has really helped my transition from textbook intermediate to advanced intermediate.

As is often the case, we save our hardest lessons for ourselves. I was stubborn for a long time to program for myself the way I would for a client. Because "no, I'm different, I can push the limits every time and still make weekly progress." Treating myself more objectively like a client has helped me get out of that mindset.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-13-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Jeez. Impressive PR even with fatigue after a limit double. Looks like things are coming together at the right time.

starting strength coach development program
    Last night at the gym felt like I was the King of the Barbells. Today I could barely manage the empty bar. I'm not too terribly worried, after a marathon workout with the loads I moved yesterday, and little sleep, couldn't have expected today to be great.

Squat Warmup - naked knees
    45x8, 95x5, 145x5
    Notes: Left knee still tender. Shut it down one set early.

Bench Press
    285x5, 310x5, 325x3
    275x5 - close grip
    Notes: Tendinitis, seemingly common extensor tendon, really flared up here, made these pretty miserable so shut it down early. Planned to do 325x5, 345x3, 360x2, 370x2 then back off, but it wasn't happening. Close grip was a bit better.

Ring Rows
    BW x 10 x 4

Did a bunch of curls with empty 45 bar and empty ~20lb EZ Curl bar to try to get some blood to the area. Hopefully this is nothing a day off and a light day won't help.