Page 281 of 443 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283291331381 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,810 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    Do you mind saying why you like one arm presses? Seems a bit odd for an SSC
    You just read my last log entry, or this page, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    You just read my last log entry, or this page, didn't you?
    Well I've seen it several times just clicking around. Please don't tell me to trawl the annals if your log to find some explanation that might exist. Best of luck with your training.

Well I've seen it several times just clicking around. Please don't tell me to trawl the annals if your log to find some explanation that might exist. Best of luck with your training.

If you dig deep you'll find an awesome tale about how Wolf got hurt. Do yourself the favor!

Tore my right shoulder labrum, badly, reaching for the bannister at a very awkward angle after stepping down onto some wet, slippery stairs a few months back. Haven't been able to do much since, but could press the PVC pipe with some pain 3 days later. I've been pressing ever since, and have somehow managed in the last week or two to get close to my old strength levels, including a 227.5x5 PR. However, for the previous 3.5 months, my injured arm was preventing me from using enough weight to challenge the healthy arm at all. The only tool we have in the gym that would remotely allow me to do so was the KB, so I've been doing 1 arm KB Presses so that my uninjured left arm can at least get some semblance of work.

I'm still about +/- 5% behind my pre-injury strength level in the press (none of my press PRs really reflect the strength I had built in the last 6-9 pre-injury months in the press, as they were either old or done under conditions of fatigue and not indicative of my limit strength in that lift). I can't bench at all, nor can I squat. There's not much I can do, so the KB presses provide both a chance to work the uninjured arm a little harder than the injured side can manage, plus they give me something else to do at a time where I don't have many options. All I really do is press, chin, and the KB presses, since my back and hips are having some DL related issues as well. If the gym had a dumbbell rack and machines, I'd probably do some of that too.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-04-2016 at 10:16 AM.

dbl post
    Last edited by Dildo Bolt; 03-04-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    If you dig deep you'll find an awesome tale about how Wolf got hurt. Do yourself the favor!
    Nah I'd sooner forget about it than be made to look it up

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Tore my right shoulder labrum, badly, reaching for the bannister at a very awkward angle after stepping down onto some wet, slippery stairs a few months back. Haven't been able to do much since, but could press the PVC pipe with some pain 3 days later. I've been pressing ever since, and have somehow managed in the last week or two to get close to my old strength levels. However, for the previous 3.5 months, my injured arm was preventing me from using enough weight to challenge the healthy arm at all. The only tool we have in the gym that would remotely allow me to do so was the KB, so I've been doing 1 arm KB Presses so that my uninjured left arm can at least get some semblance of work.

I'm still about +/- 5% behind my pre-injury strength level in the press. I can't bench at all, nor can I squat. There's not much I can do, so the KB presses provide both a chance to work the uninjured arm a little harder than the injured side can manage, plus they give me something else to do at a time where I don't have many options. All I really do is press, chin, and the KB presses, since my back and hips are having some DL related issues as well. If the gym had a dumbbell rack and machines, I'd probably do some of that too.
    Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

Hey Wolf, why do you do kb presses?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Hey Wolf, why do you do kb presses?
    Because they make my biceps bigger, and bigger biceps = more swole, and more swole = more gurlz. Duh.

Shoulders and arms still fatigued, I think, from last Friday's work so went a little lighter today and less accessory KB pressing.

Press
    45x15, 95x10, 135x8, 170x5, 195x3
    215x2 (b), 230x2 (b+w), 240x2 @9.25, 251x1 @9.75, 230x2@8.5, 225x2x2 @8,8
    Notes: Everything felt light taking it out of the rack, but my shoulders and arms were just too fatigued. After 240 went better than I expected, I thought maybe I'd have a baby 1 lb PR double in me, but the first rep at 251 was hard and I didn't want to grind today so just put it back and did a few more heavy but not limit doubles. Trying to save it for one or maybe two more days where I might snag a small PR. It wasn't going to happen today, still too fatigued from last week, so didn't force it.

Chins
    6,9,9,8,8,8,7,7,6 = 68 reps
    Notes: I'm about 80% sure about this. I might've done one less set of 8, in which case it's 60. Felt the fatigue slightly here too, though not as much as in the press; but still kept the sets shorter.

Rack Pulls
    225x5, 275x5
    Notes: Since things seem to be wonkiest off the floor, I thought moving up might help. The blocks were already set to where the bar sat towards the bottom of my kneecap, probably 1-2 inches higher than the standard Rippetoe rack pull position. It was better from there than the floor but still wonky, so I just stopped. Oh well.

KB 1A Press
    Both Sides: 24kgx5, 32x5, 36x5
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-05-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: maths

starting strength coach development program
    what are you meaning by " (b) ", and " (b&w) " noted in your press ?