starting strength gym
Page 284 of 443 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294334384 ... LastLast
Results 2,831 to 2,840 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Got a new date, three weeks later than original. So there's that.

Training-wise, the combination of volume and intensity that I did on Tuesday smoked my arms and shoulders all week, so didn't do anything till a light day, today.

Press - beltless
    45x15, 85x10, 115x8, 135x6, 155x5, 165x5x2

Chins
    4,5,5,5,5,5,4,4,4 = 41 reps

So while all this nonsense has been going on with my shoulder, I've also been dealing with a weird back issue that's prevented me from pulling heavy or at all, except a few test sessions, since November. It feels like a super exaggerated version of something I deal with all the time, hyperactive erectors. The right lumbar and thoracic erectors feel like they're just constantly on, hypertonic, and so more easily fatigued. My pull off the floor has also just felt "off" and the last time I tried to do it, a few weeks ago, I filmed it from behind and it looked like I was uneven at the start. I've had this back issue before, but it's never been nearly this bad or persistent. Usually I can deal with it with regular work on the rumble roller and lacrosse ball, along with occasional massage. None of those things, nor needling, has fixed it this time, even with increased frequency and length; they've helped some, but the basic issue is still here. I don't know the source and cause of it being so bad this time, nor what to do to fix it.

Meanwhile though, my legs have been completely untrained for a long time now. Since it's not a spine or joint thing, and isn't getting any worse (just not going away), I said fuck it and went back to some SSB Squats today. Hopefully I can keep doing at least these until surgery.

SSB Squat - beltless, naked knees
    [70,120,160,210] x5
    [250,270,250] x3
    300x1
    Notes: All reps felt easy and the yoke didn't feel heavy on my traps, but having gone so long without any real leg training, my legs felt this immediately. May be sore tomorrow.

Press - beltless, between SSB sets
    45x10, 95x8, 135x5, 165x5, 185x5x2, 195x5 @7.5, 175x5
    Notes: Felt pretty solid here, a lot more recovered than Saturday. Vid of 195x5 set, cameo appearance by the legs of one of the fine ladies at my gym, Steph: Instagram

Chins
    BWx5, BW+10x5, BW+20x5, BW+25x5, BW+20x5, BW+10x5, BWx5
    = 35 total reps/25 weighted

Bench Press
    [45,95,115,135,155,175,185] x5
    Notes: 2 months post injury, the empty bar still hurt. About 10 weeks out, empty bar was OK but it hurt when I tried 80 or 85 so I stopped and haven't tried since. Went up tonight till it stopped feeling fine and made it to 185. It didn't hurt at 185 but something felt just a bit off so I stopped. Obviously 185x5 isn't exciting for me in terms of weight, but it was nice to load that on the bar and do it for the first time in nearly 4 months.

KB 1A PR
    24x5, 32x5x2 - both sides

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Not to sound too voodoo about it, but do you think it's the stress from the upcoming surgery? I've read this book, and think there is something to all of this stuff.

Hope everything settles out for you soon!
    I don't think so, since it started before I knew if I'd need surgery or not. I have some strong suspicions about the original causes, which I may have written about in log entires over the past few months (or maybe not?), but I really don't know why it's been so persistent and unrelenting. I've never experienced this before, nor heard of another case like it.

But regardless, thanks. It was really nice squatting tonight.

Hope everything stays smooth over the next three weeks, and I'm glad they gave you a date to concentrate on. Entertaining video. Could you feel her squishing your head?!

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Not to sound too voodoo about it, but do you think it's the stress from the upcoming surgery? I've read this book, and think there is something to all of this stuff.

Hope everything settles out for you soon!
    That sucks about the surgery postponement Wolf. Good luck and heal fast.

Not to hijack your log or anything but I have a friend whose had a lot of back problems and surgeries from a lifetime of ski racing and he swears by that book these days. I'm not sure he could have healed his herniated discs with brainpower but he thinks the conditions that set you up for back injuries can be prevented with the mind/body connection.

Quote Originally Posted by HiCntry View Post

Not to hijack your log or anything but I have a friend whose had a lot of back problems and surgeries from a lifetime of ski racing and he swears by that book these days. I'm not sure he could have healed his herniated discs with brainpower but he thinks the conditions that set you up for back injuries can be prevented with the mind/body connection.
    The solution is going to be more straightforward than this. Must have to do with the uneven set up. It will be like a science project. Go science!

Quote Originally Posted by kfreeman85 View Post
    Hope everything stays smooth over the next three weeks, and I'm glad they gave you a date to concentrate on. Entertaining video. Could you feel her squishing your head?!
    Thanks Kris. You know, when I'm training I just get so laser-focused on my lifting that I don't even notice when an attractive woman is getting all Xenia Onatopp. This is probably a poor choice of priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by HiCntry View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    The solution is going to be more straightforward than this. Must have to do with the uneven set up. It will be like a science project. Go science!
    I don't discount mental issues. For example, I've seen lifters have issues numerous times because of them getting inside their own heads. Though I haven't read the book, I don't automatically discount the mental aspect to some pain issues. But I really very much do not think that's the case here. There's something physical going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Thanks Kris. You know, when I'm training I just get so laser-focused on my lifting that I don't even notice when an attractive woman is getting all Xenia Onatopp. This is probably a poor choice of priorities.
    Well, you'd forgotten to wear your white dinner jacket to the gym... so no judgement.

Light day today.

Squat
    45,95,135,160,170 - all for 3+3 - three high bar then three low bar
    Notes: I had some manual work done by the new PTs who rent space from our gym. He went in pretty deep, and I did have slightly improved ROM today. I could get into a high bar position with only a slightly bent wrist; going to low bar, however, was still quite compromised, though maybe 5-10% better than before. Despite the light weight and low volume, 10 weeks with no squatting and hardly any pulling is the (lack of) stress I've adapted to, so I'm still a little sore from that work with the SSB on Monday.

Press
    45x15, 95x10, 135x5, 160x5, 170x5x2, 160x5
    Notes: None.

Chins
    BWx5x5

Power Cleans
    45x a bunch of position work and stretching, 95x3, 135x3, 165x2, 185x2, 205x2, 225x1, 245x1, 265x1, 275x1
    Notes: So this is where things got interesting. I haven't power cleaned once, at all, since the shoulder injury (so far as I can remember - for a long time, probably 10+ weeks, I literally couldn't do it in terms of rack position and receiving a loaded bar without pain. Since it's been this back issue, just didn't seem worth it). I haven't trained the pull at all in months, and haven't squatted either. But I was still able to work up to a not embarrassingly terrible power clean. It wasn't the most perfectly executed power clean ever, but it was OK. Strength is persistent.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-23-2016 at 06:29 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    SSB Squat
    [70,140,210,250] x5; [280,310] x3; 340x2; 365x1; 300x3
    Notes: Probably added more weight than I should have for only my second workout back, but was still pretty easy. Did have a small bit of knee pain on the 300x3 backoff set.

Press
    210x3 @8.5, 220x2 @8, 230x1 @8.25, 220x2 @8, 210x3 @8
    Notes: Had a little of the shoulder fatigue for some reason, wasn't there Wednesday. So had to go lighter than planned.

Chins
    BWx5x9 = 45

KB 1A PR
    24x5, 32x5, 40x3x2
    Notes: Planned to do 36x5x2, but couldn't find the 36 so did triples with the 40 instead.

Bench Press
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x5, 205x5, 225x5x3
    Notes: Felt better than Monday. Even 225 felt pretty good, just a slight bit of feeling off in my right shoulder.