starting strength gym
Page 289 of 443 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299339389 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    You're doing really well with the rehab, good work! What is your plan for deadlifts?
    It depends when and how badly my back issue starts effecting them. I'll do ramping sets to 185x5 today, 205x5 Friday, and then pull three days per week doing ramping fives adding 20 lbs to the top set. I could obviously add more than that from a strength perspective, but I want to give my shoulder time to continue healing and adapting with appropriately lighter loads - stressing the weakest part and letting all the stronger parts help it out, in the context of its normal use, etc. Since 20 lbs is an artificially small jump right now, I should be able to use them for a good while, and if so, will lead to pulling 265x5 on 6/10, 325x5 on 6/17, 385x5 on 6/24, and 445x5 on Friday, 7/1 leading into Independence Day weekend.

Fun history - know when else I pulled 445x5? When I took the seminar in April, 2012:

I'll probably switch to adding 20lbs twice per week at that point, hitting 505x5 on Monday, 7/11, which is 12 weeks post-op. Given my back situation, I'll need some good luck for it to go that smoothly, but that would be cool. Whenever it's appropriate, I'll also reduce the jumps from 20lbs, and once I get somewhere in the 500-550 range for five, I'll also start adjusting the programming somewhat to manipulating volume and intensity.

It's a long way off, and a lot could happen in the meantime. So for now, I'm confident saying I'll be at 265x5 by the end of next week and I'll take it a workout and a week at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    This is starting to resemble a training session. Nice
    It is, isn't it? Gainz.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-01-2016 at 12:10 PM.

seems Rip approved of those deadlifts

I like your plan and I hope it is successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    seems Rip approved of those deadlifts
    Unlike when I staffed the Dec, 2013 seminar at WFAC and was pulling 430x5 during the lunch break, from which Rip returned in the middle of my set, and afterwards said, "What is that Wolf, a 3/4 bodyweight deadlift?" and then walked away cracking himself up.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    I like your plan and I hope it is successful.
    Thanks, Dood. Maybe I'll supplement it with some delicious milk.

Shoulder Ring Rehab with PVC
    5 sets - got to full ROM overhead today in the stretch.
    Notes: One thing I notice is different than in the video is that I'm totally comfortable at the bottom, and it's reaching the last bit of overhead ROM that's uncomfortable. Once I can press out of the rack again, I imagine I'll be able to take it out of the rack like I would any other press, and it'll be the top of the ROM that's the harder and more uncomfortable part. This matches my experience when resuming pressing after the initial injury.

Curious if others with torn labrums have had a similar experience, versus rotator cuffs.

Deadlift
    135x5, 165x5, 185x5x2
    Notes: Easy, feel good. Back not as hyperactive as yesterday.

First 185x5 set on IG

Kneeling Band Pulldowns with Posterior OH Stretch
    Blue x8, 8, 10
    Notes: Went one band heavier, but lowered reps. Will build reps up at blue before moving to green, which is a much heavier band.

Mirin' those rehab gainzzz, and that was a savage burn from Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    Mirin' those rehab gainzzz, and that was a savage burn from Rip.
    This was the workout:

You can hear him just start to say something as the video ends. Too bad D'Agostino didn't keep filming for another 5 seconds.

No deadlifts today, just direct shoulder stuff.

3 sets
    Changed a "set" today. I was able to stretch into full lockout position today more quickly than yesterday, on the very first try. I'd get there, hold for 10 seconds, then do a set of 10 full ROM presses, then go back into the stretch for 10 seconds. That was 1 set. Did 3 total sets.

Band Pulldowns with Posterior OH Stretch
    Red Bands x10x2
    Blue Bands x10x2

Just for general reference, the bands at the gym go in the following color scheme order, from weakest to strongest:
    Red, blue, green, black, purple. The difference between red and blue seems small, but blue to green is a big step up. I'll probably wait till 4x15 with blue is easy before going to green.

Slayed some sweet heavy pulls today, bruh!

Deadlift
    135x5, 175x5, 205x5x2
    Notes: Still feeling easy and good. Back seems to be doing marginally better; I've been rolling aggressively on the rumble roller, supernova, and lacrosse ball and icing at least once a day. I think that's all helping but it's hard to be sure.

205x5 on IG, with a lot of cheering and support from my friends and colleagues at the gym /sarcasm.

PVC: 2 sets of 10 with 10 second holds
    PVC + 2.5 lbs (1.25/side): 2 sets of 10 with 10 second holds
    Notes: Weighted presses, technically. So that's good.

Band Pulldowns with Posterior OH Stretch
    Blue x10x4

starting strength coach development program
    First day back in lifting shoes and doing some type of squat since April 15th. Happy.

Safety Bar Squat
    70,120,160,190,210,210 - all triples
    Notes: All reps felt good and easy. I stopped at 210 because it felt like that was the most direct pressure my right shoulder could handle today, since the yolk sits right across part of the surgical area.

Ring Shoulder Rehab
    PVC x 10s/10r x2
    +5lb x 10/10 x1
    +7.5lb x 10/10 x 2

Deadlift
    135x5, 185x5, 225x5x2
    Notes: Two plates = globo gym god status.

Kneeling Band Pulldowns with Posterior OH Stretch
    Blue x15x4
    Notes: Easy. Will try green next time. They're a lot thicker, so will probably have to modify the distance and reduce reps quite a bit.

Full set of a 210x3 SSB, 225x5 DL, and partial of a set of pulldowns on IG.