starting strength gym
Page 293 of 443 FirstFirst ... 193243283291292293294295303343393 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,930 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I recall the first time I squatted using the SSB, a few days after this initial injury that eventually led to the surgery. I worked up to a 430 single which, while not limit, was harder than I expected, probably a 6RM or so. And that was only about 2 weeks after I squatted a 575 third attempt that looked like I should've called for 600 using a regular low bar squat, and probably had a 6RM of 495 at the time. Doubtless some of that was the fact that the SSB was brand new to me, but I also remember clearly how much harder it is than a LBBS of the same weight. Less muscle mass utilized in the position assumed by the SSB squat as well as the slight instability of the thing. I just really want to squat again. My external rotation is coming back more slowly than everything else, alas.
    I feel you coach as mentioned I too was not able to externally rotate my shoulder up until recently not that it's 100 % yet but It sure felt great getting under the bar again . Best of luck on your recovery..Coach !

I wanted to mention that I grew up not to far from Yeshiva University . I lived on 177th and Wadsworth Ave and till this day my mother lives in the same building I grew up in we where practically neighbors lol..

Good day today. It was hot in the gym, so I even worked up a sweat. Been a while since I've done that in training.

Safety Bar Squat
    Sets of five at: 70,140,170,210,240,[260,280,280] -3" belt, 250
    Notes: Upped the volume a little but didn't do any heavier doubles or triples. Will start working back into higher volume 4-6 rep work on Mondays and slightly lower volume but heavier 1-3 rep work Fridays.

Press
    Sets of ten at: 33,45,57.5,67.5,75,75,75; then a 45x15 back-off.
    Notes: Felt solid and strong on almost all reps today. Graduated to starting with a 15kg bar instead of the 15lb bar. #gainz

Deadlift
    Sets of five at: 135,225,285 (hook), 325 (DOH), 355 (hook)
    Notes: All good and strong here except the 325 set, I think I just didn't take it seriously enough. I took out my B&R bar for the deadlifts today. Not that 355 is so heavy that is really makes a difference but I just wanted to use it again after a nearly 10 week absence. That B&R knurling is a beautiful thing.

Chin-Up
    Green Band x5
    Blue Bandx5x4
    Notes: It's crazy how 5 reps, with assistance, can still feel challenging, when I was doing 60-70 chins per workout, or 30-35 weighted reps, before surgery. But at least it's still moving up every workout.

Ring Row
    BWx7,8
    Notes: Same height as last time, intended to do 7,7,7+ but ran out of time so only got 2 sets.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-20-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin Arias View Post
    I feel you coach as mentioned I too was not able to externally rotate my shoulder up until recently not that it's 100 % yet but It sure felt great getting under the bar again . Best of luck on your recovery..Coach !

I wanted to mention that I grew up not to far from Yeshiva University . I lived on 177th and Wadsworth Ave and till this day my mother lives in the same building I grew up in we where practically neighbors lol..
    Thanks, Franklin. I lived on 185th and Audubon my last year there. Apt 1C, I believe!

Recovery seems to be going pretty dang well man! Glad to see you coming back strong. I have some shoulder and knee issues that I have been putting off, seeing how quickly you are coming back makes me realize I probably need to get them looked at!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Binford View Post
    Recovery seems to be going pretty dang well man! Glad to see you coming back strong. I have some shoulder and knee issues that I have been putting off, seeing how quickly you are coming back makes me realize I probably need to get them looked at!
    It's definitely slower than I'd like, but all things considered and realistically, it's not THAT slow. Being strong beforehand, and determined to come back quickly (doing homework every day, not just days you go in for PT) make the process a lot faster. If they are injuries that really effect your training, probably worthwhile.

Some shoulder rehab stuff today. Lots of stretching, focused most on external rotation, and presses.

Press
    45x10, 55x5, 65x5, 75x5, 80x5x3
    Notes: All solid and easy. First time starting with the regular bar. Only did sets of five, but everything felt good.

I got a massage for the second Tuesday in a row, with a new therapist recommended by a fellow SSC. My back isn't quite back to normal, but the right side hypertonicity is down to a tolerable level for the first time since October, probably. Didn't even act up after deadlifts, which it often does even when it feels OK during. Feeling optimistic at the moment, that I may be able to finally train the deadlift again. Fingers and barbells crossed.

Front Squat
    45x5, 75x3, 95x3, 105x3, 115x3, 125x3x3
    Notes: Yes, pounds not kilos. Wanted a break from the SSB so tried some front squats and my rack wasn't too uneven (only about a 1-2 inch difference between the sides) and didn't hurt my shoulder at all, so went ahead.

Press
    45x10, 60x10, 72.5x10, 80x10, 87.5x10x3, 55x17
    Notes: Good, solid. Going for 95 Friday.

Deadlift
    [135,225,295 (hook), 335 (DOH), 375 (hook)] x5
    Notes: With my back not killing me, these were easy and felt great.
    375x5 set on IG

Chin-Ups
    Blue x5
    Redx5x4
    Notes: Red is the lightest band we have. On Friday I'll do a warm-up set or two with bands and then try my first post-op bodyweight chins.

C2 Erg
    30/40 x5
    Paces: 1:56, 1:51, 1:52, 1:51, 1:47

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I got a massage for the second Tuesday in a row, with a new therapist recommended by a fellow SSC. My back isn't quite back to normal, but the right side hypertonicity is down to a tolerable level for the first time since October, probably. Didn't even act up after deadlifts, which it often does even when it feels OK during. Feeling optimistic at the moment, that I may be able to finally train the deadlift again. Fingers and barbells crossed.
    Excellent news. Who is the new massage therapist? I know Geraldine skipped town

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Excellent news. Who is the new massage therapist? I know Geraldine skipped town
    Ya that's why I was looking for someone new. Her name is Maggie, Pete recommended her, they knew each other from the now defunct Crossfit LIC. She works out of Queens and in the city. I'll text you more info.

starting strength coach development program
    Shoulder rehab stuff today. Lots of stretching, again focusing (but not exclusively) on external rotation. I was able to get much closer to an acceptable position with the PVC pipe in the high bar position than I was even just two days ago. Low bar still a long way to go, but it's good to see movement. I might try to high bar next week.

Press
    45x10, 60x5, 70x5, 80x5, 90x5x2 - ran out of time to do any more sets