Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf - Page 310

starting strength gym
Page 310 of 414 FirstFirst ... 210260300308309310311312320360410 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 4137

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

  1. #3091
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,588

    Default

    • texas seminar date
    • wichita falls texas march seminar date
    • woodmere new york april seminar date
    Did a lighter heavy day today to allow for some recovery. I'll ease up a bit on the volume work early next week too, if I'm right, that should be enough to allow for a couple post-op PRs next Friday, a week from today. Maybe Thursday too, on the press, if I'm lucky.

    Squat - SBDs+belt
    435x3 @6.5, 455x3x2 @7.5,7.5
    Notes: These felt heavy and hard but moved pretty fast. Feels good to have finally recovered from surgery enough to have trained hard enough to build up some fatigue. I don't think it's much, so anticipate that I'll be able to hit a heavy squat and DL next Friday.

    435x3, 455x3 Squats on IG

    Close Grip Bench
    255x5, 280x5, 300x5 @7 , 275x5
    Notes: Dropped a set in prep for a heavy press next Thursday, but added 5 lbs to the top set, and it was still an @7. Felt good here today.

    Deadlift
    185x5, 275x5, 365x5 - DOH
    415x5, 465x5 @6, 495x3 @7 - belt + straps
    Notes: Kept these lighter for some recovery as well. Used straps at 415 and above because my hands are really chewed up from all the increased olympic lifting and the seasonal cold change and dry air being constantly spit out by the stupid NYC heating in the buildings. Everything was pretty easy and moved well. Back wasn't 100% but was a lot less tweaky than yesterday.

    415,465,495 pulls on IG

    HSPU
    1,1,2,3 - tripod
    3 - regular

    C2 Erg: 20/1:20 x8
    Paces: 1:36.1, 1:30.9, 1:26.9, 1:33.4, 1:30.9, 1:25.4, 1:40, 1:32.5
    Notes: Hadn't rowed in two weeks, didn't have my best stuff. But wasn't tooooo much slower than I was at before I inadvertently took two weeks off of rowing. Not sure if/how I'm going to consistently fit this in in addition to the added olympic lifting, so might be less on it in favor of the olympic lift practice. We'll see.
    YT * IG * FB

  2. #3092
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,588

    Default

    Felt like complete and total ass today. Which I didn't expect, considering I already went pretty light on Friday and felt fine that day. Might just be an aberration of a weird day. Knees hurt like hell, elbows hurt, weight felt crushingly heavy on my back and in my hands. Weird.

    Squat - belt
    345x5, 365x5, 385x5, 405x5x2
    Notes: Planned to start at 365 for first work-set but my knees hurt so much I lowered that to 345. They actually got a little better as I got heavier, but warm-up sets, 345, and 365, felt like someone was stabbing 6 inch knives into my knees halfway down each rep. Bad times. About a 20% reduction in working volume from last week's volume day and about 15% less than the week before. Should be enough, along with a not-too-challenging Thursday squat, to allow for just a little fatigue dissipation and a heavy squat attempt or two Friday. But it sure felt craptastic today.

    Press - belt, wraps for 195,200
    175x5 (beltless), 185x5, 195x5, 200x5, 185x5
    Notes: Similar to squat except slightly better since knee pain not an issue here.

    Power Snatch
    45,65 - some pull-unders and snatch balances just to see if I was gonna full snatch today. Knees and wrist achy so just did powers the rest of the way, working on not jumping early/getting the bar up to my hips before jumping.
    85x2, 95x2x2, 105x2x2, 115x2x5

    Ring Rows
    BWx8x3
    YT * IG * FB

  3. #3093
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Morristown, NJ, USA
    Posts
    12,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Felt like complete and total ass today. Which I didn't expect, considering I already went pretty light on Friday and felt fine that day. Might just be an aberration of a weird day. Knees hurt like hell, elbows hurt, weight felt crushingly heavy on my back and in my hands. Weird.

    Squat - belt
    345x5, 365x5, 385x5, 405x5x2
    Notes: Planned to start at 365 for first work-set but my knees hurt so much I lowered that to 345. They actually got a little better as I got heavier, but warm-up sets, 345, and 365, felt like someone was stabbing 6 inch knives into my knees halfway down each rep. Bad times. About a 20% reduction in working volume from last week's volume day and about 15% less than the week before. Should be enough, along with a not-too-challenging Thursday squat, to allow for just a little fatigue dissipation and a heavy squat attempt or two Friday. But it sure felt craptastic today.

    Press - belt, wraps for 195,200
    175x5 (beltless), 185x5, 195x5, 200x5, 185x5
    Notes: Similar to squat except slightly better since knee pain not an issue here.

    Power Snatch
    45,65 - some pull-unders and snatch balances just to see if I was gonna full snatch today. Knees and wrist achy so just did powers the rest of the way, working on not jumping early/getting the bar up to my hips before jumping.
    85x2, 95x2x2, 105x2x2, 115x2x5

    Ring Rows
    BWx8x3
    Probably got sore knees from holding up all the red/white "lights" at the meet. It looked very strenuous.

  4. #3094
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Probably got sore knees from holding up all the red/white "lights" at the meet. It looked very strenuous.
    It was. Strenuously strenuous.
    YT * IG * FB

  5. #3095
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,588

    Default

    Knees didn't hurt as much today but still a low-energy and general malaise type feeling. Ah well.

    Squat Warmup
    45x5,95x5,135x5,185x5

    Snatch Grip DL
    185x5, 275x3, 325x3 - doh
    365x3, 405x3 - straps
    435x3 @7 - belt+straps
    Notes: Knees and left lumbar erector still giving me some trouble but these were all do-able without any trouble.

    Bench Press
    305x3, 325x2@7, 335x2 @8, 315x2
    Notes: Elbow-itis was a little bothersome here, but only really at 335. Otherwise pretty easy.

    Ring Rows
    BWx6 - too low
    BWx8x4
    Notes: Giving elbows a break from weighted chins, which seem to bother them some.
    YT * IG * FB

  6. #3096
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Morristown, NJ, USA
    Posts
    12,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    It was. Strenuously strenuous.
    Yet you handled it adroitly.

  7. #3097
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yet you handled it adroitly.
    And tres functionally if I may add.

  8. #3098
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yet you handled it adroitly.
    As can be seen, I learned by observing the MOST adroit.

    YT * IG * FB

  9. #3099
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,588

    Default

    I haven't trained yet today, but did want to note that I weighed in at 258.8 today (259.4 after I put on my underwear and got my phone to take a pic of it). Other than a very brief period in late 2014, I haven't been in the 250s since the first half of 2013.

    I remember looking at the scale 3 weeks after my surgery and it said 280.6. I knew I had let myself gain some fat after my injury, when I was eating as if I was still training hard except wasn't actually training hard. But seeing 280.6 on the scale hit me like "I've really got to do something about this." That was the same time - 3 weeks post-op - that I was physically capable of doing some cooking for myself again, so I did. In the 6 months since then, almost to the day, I've had ups and downs. Days where I didn't comply with my plan at all and days where I complied to the letter and gram. I think the most important thing is that I didn't let the days I went off the rails affect the next day. I didn't say "Well, I done fucked up. I'll just eat whatever I want now." I went back the next day and tried to comply again.

    I'm still not especially lean, and want to drop another 10 lbs or so, maybe 15, but being in the 250s is a solid milestone. Though I fell off the BBM wagon a few weeks ago, I do want to thank Dr. Gainz for guidance and keeping me accountable after I'd had a rough period back in the summer. Even though I still suspect he was trying to kill me with only 6 macros per day.
    YT * IG * FB

  10. #3100
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Morristown, NJ, USA
    Posts
    12,457

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I haven't trained yet today, but did want to note that I weighed in at 258.8 today (259.4 after I put on my underwear and got my phone to take a pic of it). Other than a very brief period in late 2014, I haven't been in the 250s since the first half of 2013.

    I remember looking at the scale 3 weeks after my surgery and it said 280.6. I knew I had let myself gain some fat after my injury, when I was eating as if I was still training hard except wasn't actually training hard. But seeing 280.6 on the scale hit me like "I've really got to do something about this." That was the same time - 3 weeks post-op - that I was physically capable of doing some cooking for myself again, so I did. In the 6 months since then, almost to the day, I've had ups and downs. Days where I didn't comply with my plan at all and days where I complied to the letter and gram. I think the most important thing is that I didn't let the days I went off the rails affect the next day. I didn't say "Well, I done fucked up. I'll just eat whatever I want now." I went back the next day and tried to comply again.

    I'm still not especially lean, and want to drop another 10 lbs or so, maybe 15, but being in the 250s is a solid milestone. Though I fell off the BBM wagon a few weeks ago, I do want to thank Dr. Gainz for guidance and keeping me accountable after I'd had a rough period back in the summer. Even though I still suspect he was trying to kill me with only 6 macros per day.
    Dude, you're one of us skinny kids that Rip yells at now. I will buy you a burrito or gallon of milk.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •