starting strength gym
Page 316 of 443 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318326366416 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,160 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Between my back feeling dodgy and my resurgent right elbow canceritis (left seem to be OK), I was prepared to not do anything heavy today. But I fiddled with things enough to find a promising workaround for the squat, and my back held up pretty well to some actual heavy lifting. 2 aleve about 3 hours before training surely helped, but I was still very pleasantly surprised with how I rose to the challenge. Being able to train with some soon-to-be-leaving NYC friends, the famous @megsquats and her boyfriend, Ryan, helped and was a ton of fun.

Squat - belt + SBDs
    495x2,2,2,2 @ 7, 7.5, 7, 7.5
    495x3 @7.5
    Notes: I was desperate to find a way to low bar squat without utterly wrecking my elbows. The pain had become nearly unbearable (though a hard massage on Weds + SSB squats only on Thurs helped some). I tried wearing a slingshot compression cuff 2.0, but it seemed to hurt more than help. In the past, I've tried wrapping thumbs around the bar and letting my wrists take some of the stress but it didn't seem to help. Today, I wrapped my thumbs around and additionally really focused on dropping my elbows down lower than I wanted before the rep (unracking and walking out this way felt too unstable, so I unracked and walked out with elbows up, then dropped).

I had mixed success with this grip adjustment in two ways:
    1. I'm so used to keeping my elbows up that I did it on some reps anyway
    2. I am so unused to keeping the bar stable with this configuration that there was a little bit of bar movement that I could feel while squatting and it effected my technique.

That said, I did 5 heavy sets at 495 for 11 total reps, which is more reps than I've ever done in one workout with that much weight, without going anywhere near failure. Some of the doubles workouts I was doing last summer and fall (I seem to recall a 465x2, 495x2, 515x2, 525x2, 495x2 one in particular) may have been slightly harder, but this was still another really solid step back towards gains. Especially only 4 days after the 455x5x5 and with a cranky back.

First and last set at 495 on IG (w/more bonus booty)

Close Grip Bench Press
    275x5, 295x5, 315x5 @7.5
    285x5x2 - first and last rep paused
    Notes: Pretty solid. Elbow tweakiness was present but minimal compared to previous workouts after squatting. Reduced by ~80%, I'd estimate. Which helped these A TON.

315x5 CGBP on the insta

6" Block Pull
    155x5, 265x3, 375x3 - DOH
    465x3 - mixed grip + belt
    555x3, 625x3 @8.5 - straps + belt
    Notes: Despite surviving squats, I could still feel the back tweakiness so elected not to pull off the floor. 6" blocks didn't feel perfect off the bat but way better than the floor and seemed to improve as I warmed them up so I kept going. They felt ok and they felt OK and before you know it, I had 625 on the bar and pulled it for a triple.

I haven't done a rack pull in ~3.5 years. The only time I did them was for maybe a 3-4 month period in 2013 on the 3-day Texas Method. The heaviest I did was 580 or 585x5 from right at the bottom of the kneecap, when my 1RM from the floor was just around 600. Kinda cool to come back a few years later and hit 625x3 from a lower position on a day when my back was tweaky and uncooperative.

HSPU - tripod
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-03-2016 at 12:57 AM.

After being pleased at the lack of elbow cancer after squats on Friday, I was dismayed when Saturday brought possibly the worst pain I've ever had in that area. Usually it hits during or after squats so when it was pretty good afterwards, I thought I had found at least a temporary alternative. But it was brutally painful on Saturday, and still pretty bad Sunday too. I thought about not low bar squatting again this week and next, but couldn't quite bring myself to do it. I had to try something else first.

I tried using a super wide, collar to collar grip. This is very difficult out of a normal rack that's not a monolift or that you can't angle in like an ER Rack. It's even more difficult using a rogue monster rack, which is unfortunately all of the racks at my gym. I managed to do it without pinching anything, but during the process my left (partially torn, non surgical shoulder) got pissed off and I actually have some thumb numbness afterwards. Probably impinged on a nerve in that weird position. Elbow wise, it seemed better but they were/are still a little tweaky. I'll probably know more tomorrow if this, at least, managed to be better for my elbows/brachialis.

Squat - SBDs, belt
    365x5 @6, 385x5 @6.5, 405x5x2 @7, 7; 365x5x2 @6,6
    Notes: These were pretty easy all around. Almost the exact same tonnage as 455x5x5, but way easier. Hoping for a PR this Friday so didn't want to be zapped from this workout, AND didn't want to go too heavy with a new, uncomfortable, and less stable grip. Fingers crossed for, at least, not horrible elbow pain for tomorrow's bench. Back still a little annoyed but better than last week.

Squat sets on IG

Press - belt + wraps
    225x1 @8, 235x1 @9, 195x5x3, 170x5x2 - dead stop, belt only
    Notes: Shoulders still not very happy after the squats despite a bunch of rest in between. Affected these presses some. Could also feel elbows a bit. Overall not very comfortable, but got some work done.

Some press work on IG

Chins
    BWx5x8
    EZ Bar Curls
    Empty Bar x10-15x5 between chins
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-05-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Sorry to hear about the elbow pain. Switching to thumbs under and wrapping my wrists took some of the strain off my right elbow when it was bothering me during squatting. Now I have wrist pain, but luckily it only bothers me if I do a pushup, so I don't care.

Past the novice stage lifting gets a bit like Whac-a-Mole.

Ditto on what Will said. There's a little wrist pain from time to time but it never really shuts any other training down with the thumbs down, wrist wrapped grip.

Also wanted to add that when I used to thumbs over grip, the grip that you took on that last session was about as close as I could get ever. It was never really tight and I still would get arm cancer from it. Still, however, switching to the full grip can inject an awkwardness in propioception that is annoying at first but goes away over time just like hook gripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Sorry to hear about the elbow pain. Switching to thumbs under and wrapping my wrists took some of the strain off my right elbow when it was bothering me during squatting. Now I have wrist pain, but luckily it only bothers me if I do a pushup, so I don't care.

Past the novice stage lifting gets a bit like Whac-a-Mole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Ditto on what Will said. There's a little wrist pain from time to time but it never really shuts any other training down with the thumbs down, wrist wrapped grip.

Also wanted to add that when I used to thumbs over grip, the grip that you took on that last session was about as close as I could get ever. It was never really tight and I still would get arm cancer from it. Still, however, switching to the full grip can inject an awkwardness in propioception that is annoying at first but goes away over time just like hook gripping.
    Hmmm guess you guys only read the most recent entry. I tried that a few times over the past month, most recently Friday, with a concerted effort to put more onto my wrists, which I wrapped. It didn't help me at all. After Friday's workout I thought I was OK, but the pain was worse than I've ever had it the next day. So the thumbs around doesn't seem to be a solution for me. At least not enough to allow it to go away. Once I get rid of it, maybe this will be helpful in preventing its return. We shall see.

Decided today to make this week a 3 day training week instead of 4, so only Mon/Wed/Fri. I'll try for a squat PR on Friday, and then will go two weeks without low bar squats, the first of which will also be a total deload. I'll ramp back up somewhat the second week but it'll still be fairly light. That leaves a 14 week prep if I do the SS Spring Challenge based on it's most likely date.

I found that when I do heavier sets on squats low bar that my elbows feel some pain the next day, but with lighter weights or with a high bar squat there is no pain the next day. Maybe going away from low bar like you planned will help with it healing up. Good luck on your PR attempt!

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    I found that when I do heavier sets on squats low bar that my elbows feel some pain the next day, but with lighter weights or with a high bar squat there is no pain the next day. Maybe going away from low bar like you planned will help with it healing up. Good luck on your PR attempt!
    Yes, high bar squats are easier on my elbows. I will be doing those and safety bar squats during the two week end elbow cancer period starting next week. I was, and still am, somewhat reluctant to do that because low bar squats are just so much better. But alas, I need to take a step back so I can take two forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Hmmm guess you guys only read the most recent entry. I tried that a few times over the past month, most recently Friday, with a concerted effort to put more onto my wrists, which I wrapped. It didn't help me at all. After Friday's workout I thought I was OK, but the pain was worse than I've ever had it the next day. So the thumbs around doesn't seem to be a solution for me. At least not enough to allow it to go away. Once I get rid of it, maybe this will be helpful in preventing its return. We shall see.

Decided today to make this week a 3 day training week instead of 4, so only Mon/Wed/Fri. I'll try for a squat PR on Friday, and then will go two weeks without low bar squats, the first of which will also be a total deload. I'll ramp back up somewhat the second week but it'll still be fairly light. That leaves a 14 week prep if I do the SS Spring Challenge based on it's most likely date.
    Sorry you thought I didn't read it. I read all of your log posts believe it or not, even when you make me sad*. I just thought you said you had mixed success with the grip, and you mentioned that the bar doesn't feel as stable. So that's why I said it feels awkward at first but then not awkward after a long while on training that way. Seeing that you don't intend to use this grip long term, the times that you do use it, it will feel awkward and less stable. I'm not willing to blame the pain you felt on Saturday completely on the thumbs around grip. I'd be more willing to blame it on the fact that the cut (arm cancer) was there before Friday and then, you exposed it to an awesome stress of 495X11 on Friday. I don't think any grip (besides no grip like SSB or the like) will make the arm cancer go away. Its usually just a matter of once its gone (usually from not barbell back squatting for a little bit), just don't get it again.

*You make me sad when you get down in the dumps about wolf's disease. I don't believe in it at all. I feel like you are the prototype hodgester just waiting to blossom. This is why I've been subscribed all these years.*

As far as your deload, how much of a percentage would you say you will be dropping for your working sets during that time? Or are you just going to play it by ear with what feels better on the elbow?

starting strength coach development program
    Its usually just a matter of once its gone (usually from not barbell back squatting for a little bit), just don't get it again.
    My experience has totally been in line with this. I can use the normal SS grip (which is my preference as the bar feels most stable to me that way) for months and have no problem. Then for reasons unknown, the cancer comes in and once it does, it's persistent AF. I guess the Q is, once it's gone, will thumbs around be better in terms of preventing its comeback? I don't know, since I go months and months without recurrence and when it does recur, I can't identify what it is that caused it.

So after Friday, the next two weeks will be SSB and high bar only. Hopefully that'll be enough to get rid of it.

*You make me sad when you get down in the dumps about wolf's disease. I don't believe in it at all. I feel like you are the prototype hodgester just waiting to blossom. This is why I've been subscribed all these years.*
    Ha, thanks man. Even though I don't know what a hodgester is.