starting strength gym
Page 317 of 443 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319327367417 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I guess the Q is, once it's gone, will thumbs around be better in terms of preventing its comeback?
    I will be somewhat of a guinea pig with this. From what I can tell there is no one solution to this and everyone in fact seems to have slightly different cancer symptoms. I'm going to run out a high bar progression the rest of this month and then go back to low bar in January. Thumbs around/wrist wraps the whole cycle. So we'll see if it fixes MY cancer even though it may not be completely applicable to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Ha, thanks man. Even though I don't know what a hodgester is.
    Good, I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Good, I'm not the only one.

Hodge is big and strong. Wolf is the hodgest on this board...sorry everyone else. Tall, big hands, forearms like whoa, calves like daaaaaayum, thick joints, over 250 lbs, nothing lanky about him, very well "thickened" in the levers. So, that's why he is the prototype.

However, Ray Williams is probably the one of the hodgest in the world....maybe not...Jezza Uepa looks to be hodger.

That is your lesson on hodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Hodge is big and strong. Wolf is the hodgest on this board...sorry everyone else. Tall, big hands, forearms like whoa, calves like daaaaaayum, thick joints, over 250 lbs, nothing lanky about him, very well "thickened" in the levers. So, that's why he is the prototype.

However, Ray Williams is probably the one of the hodgest in the world....maybe not...Jezza Uepa looks to be hodger.

That is your lesson on hodge.
    Wow. That's some serious company you're grouping me with. I'm like baby hodge next to those guys. And my numbers are pathetic next to them too. Guess I'd better get my squat to 750 and pull to 850 ASAP.

Planned to train as usual yesterday and felt like poop and was so tired, I just decided to do Mon/Wed/Fri this week. Only pulling on Friday and only squatting Mon/Fri. Which meant today was essentially bench only. Felt like a real bro. Next up will be attempting a squat PR on Friday at WFAC, before a week deload and two weeks away from low bar squats.

Bench Press
    - 3" belt
    355x6 @9 - PR!
    325x5x3 @8,7,8
    275x10 @ 8.5 - PR
    Notes: Brachialis pain was present here but not terrible, warm-up moved fast so decided to move up my planned 345x5 to 355x5 to go for a PR. Then it went so fast that I audibled a sixth rep, and still had one in the tank! 355x5 would've been, like my recent squat PRs, a PR that I could've done before injury but just happened to never have done. But I'm not sure I could've done 355x6. Maybe, but I'm not sure. So not only is it my first bench PR in 20 months, but it's the first PR in my comeback that might be a legit actual PR that represents something I couldn't have done before and thus an increase in strength. Maybe, anyway. So I'm pretty stoked about that.

275x10 is also a 10 rep PR for bench, though I know I could've done that before, probably easily, so not any kind of big deal but still nice to do.

355x6 bench press PR on IG

Ring Rows
    BWx10x6
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-07-2016 at 04:27 PM.

I'd say it's an increase in real strength, nice work!

Way to go, Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    I'd say it's an increase in real strength, nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Way to go, Wolf.
    Thanks, gents.

Whenever I train at WFAC, and am not injured, I have an awesome workout. Despite having some minor dings, I don't have any major injuries right now and had an awesome last workout before deload week. Training with Reynolds and Austin - who have both squatted 600 - and Coach Nikolai Delgadillo was awesome motivation as well.

Squat
    545x2 @ 8.5 -PR
    585x1 @ 9.25 - PR
    495x2 @8
    Notes: Sticking to "the plan" would have been a work-up double at 515 or 525, the 545x2 PR double, then another back off double or two in the 485-515 range. But fuckit. I've been waiting 13.5 months to do this. The 545 double moved fast so I went straight to 585 and hit a really solid single there for a new lifetime best in the squat. The lifts might look faster than my RPEs indicate but 1) I tend to go from fast to miss quickly and 2) The bar rolled up my back just a hair on the 585 rep (where you see me get out of my hips a little halfway up) and if that happened again on the second rep, it might well have caused a miss.

So I hit 2 squat PRs in about a 10 minute period today. Super happy and stoked about this.

585x1 Squat with the crew on Instagram

Press - belt + wraps
    255x1 @9.5
    265x1 @10 - ties PR
    230x5 @10 - PR

Notes: Intended to stop at 255, but it surprisingly moved well enough that it wasn't a total grind, so said hell, maybe there's a press PR in me today too, and went for 265. I made it, slow but far from the slowest I've ever done. Then backed-off and hit a PR fahve at 230. Given that I've recently done 225x5 in the midst of my volume work, and not as a standalone 5RM, I'm not surprised that I'm strong enough to do either of these. I just didn't think they'd be there today. So really happy with this too.

265x1 and 230x5 Press PR on IG

Deadlift - belt
    455x5 - alt grip
    Notes: The extra day off, no squatting since Monday, and no pulling at all since last Friday, have helped my back. But I could still feel these a little; 4 hours in coach on a full flight on the plane + 2.5 hour drive to The Falls yesterday didn't help. So did one set of five at 455 and called it there. I'll probably only pull again next Friday, light for deload week, and hope by the following Tuesday, 12/20, I'm ready to ramp it back up again.

An excellent cap to this last training cycle before 2 weeks off low bar squatting to let my elbows/brachialis heal, and a deload week before ramping back up again. Additionally, it must be admitted that gaining back a bunch of weight I lost has helped. I was down to 258. I'm back up to 270. Could I have done this eventually at 250ish? Sure. But what can I say, I got impatient and regaining that weight and eating those calories has helped me do it now instead of Summer 2017 or so. Oh whale. At least I'm still down 1 belt hole from my heaviest.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-09-2016 at 09:08 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Congrats!