starting strength gym
Page 32 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First set of 420x5 on Friday night. Spotted by Josh Wells and Andy Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    I wish I was there! Freaking cool.
    We missed you Rob, and you missed a great event. Next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Watched all three of your squat sets, and one of your bench sets - strong, food looking sets - all of them Solid work, excited we have been able to spend some time together.
    I assume you mean "good," not food, but the amount of food eaten this weekend was strong too. It really was quite the weekend. Awesome having everyone all in one place for a whole weekend.

Linear progression all the way to 500X5X3. Massive Squats Wolf.

You'll get that 500 squat no problem.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Yes, "good", not "food". Stupid smart phone! Perhaps a Freudian slip?

Today's training was just one of those shitty days. I think it was a combo of me not truly being recovered due to 1) the lack of sleep and traveling this weekend (flying 3.5hrs each way in those tiny coach seats just kills me) plus 2) the floor of where I'm now training being slightly squishy. They have fairly hard rubber mats, but when a 250lb man with 400+ lbs on his back steps on them, they definitely squish some. I could feel the difference compared to my last squat workout at WFAC Friday night. The former issue is temporary and easily remedied - I'll be recovered by end of the week. The latter issue is a problem, as I'll be squatting there for the foreseeable future. We will look into getting an insert for the rack, but not sure if we can. Anyway...

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 305x2, 365x1 - all felt fine.
    425x5x2; 425x3 - 3 reps of the third set were so hard I didn't even go down for a fourth. Waited a bunch, then tried 450x1, like an idiot. Failed and had to dump on the pins. It was stupid of me to try that 450 after all the work I'd already done, I was beat up. I was forward all day today, my quads were fried, and I let me ego get in the way of a smart decision. A lesson a thousand times learned but still one I don't take seriously enough. Though I got the rest of my reps for the lift, I felt shitty after this and still do a couple hours later.

Press
    45x5x2, 85x5, 125x3, 155x2, 185x5x3
    Hard especially by the third set, but felt strong on them.

Rack Pulls
    235x3, 365x2, 455x1, 530x5
    These felt harder than they should have, probably due to extra fatigue from the squats, and possibly also the lack of recovery that made the squats so hard. But got em all.

I am once more on the point of wondering whether to try to squeeze out more LP or not. Given the floor squishiness problem, I'm inclined to start making slower progress. But I think if I can manage not to have to lift on a weekly schedule, I can eke out a bit more LP by progressing twice in 8 days instead of twice in 7. Seems stupid, but think of it this way: TM has me progressing 4x/month. This would have me progressing 7-8x/month. That's a lot more gains over a month. Assuming Monday the 1st, I could progress as follows in one month
    Monday
    Friday
    Tuesday
    Saturday
    Wednesday
    Sunday
    Thursday
    Monday

Which is a lot more than just Fridays 5RM or 3RM or 5 singles. I'll try this weight again and think about it in the meantime.

You added weight after you missed the lift? Interesting approach bro...

You LP plan does not seem stupid. I'd be curious to see how it works. Although you may find it a relief to chnage the set scheme at some point. Lowering the intensity on the volume day for TM is a relief.

At first.

Last time you missed you didn't reset, I don't see you planning a reset here either. This time I am less inclined to think a reset is needed, as there are other factors involved. LP calls for a 10% reset when a weight is missed. So 425 would bump you back to 385. You could make 10lb jumps and be back in a week and a half. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    You added weight after you missed the lift? Interesting approach bro...

You LP plan does not seem stupid. I'd be curious to see how it works. Although you may find it a relief to chnage the set scheme at some point. Lowering the intensity on the volume day for TM is a relief.

At first.
    Ya, adding weight after I only got 3 reps of set #3 was stupid. Even if it was only intended to be a single. I was shot by then, but I have the idiotic mindset of someone who's succeeded at pretty much every physical/athletic endeavor I've ever put my mind to. That makes me bullheaded Re: my own training, and think I can just push through anything, because compared to my peers, I've always been able to. But I'm not playing in the little league anymore. Squats in the mid 400s need to be respected.

Thoughts on what I'm going to do going fwd are below.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Last time you missed you didn't reset, I don't see you planning a reset here either. This time I am less inclined to think a reset is needed, as there are other factors involved. LP calls for a 10% reset when a weight is missed. So 425 would bump you back to 385. You could make 10lb jumps and be back in a week and a half. Just a thought.
    I'm not planning to reset, but the 3 sets of 5 are running me into the ground. If I got 8 hours of sleep a night I might be ok to keep continuing; if I was squatting off a hard-surfaced platform, maybe then too. But since both of those aren't happening, well, you've got to be realistic about these things.

I'm planning to warm up as I have been to a top set of 5, which today will be 430. Adding 5lbs twice per week, Monday and Friday, like advanced novice. After that top set of 5, then do two back-off sets of 5 at 90-95% of the top set, depending how hard the top set felt. I should be able to get a bit more LP out of this before switching to out and out Intermediate. With a meet less than 2 months away, I'll take the faster gains however I can get them.

Felt good going into today and with one minor mishap (which was actually pretty damn funny), that feeling stuck throughout the lift.

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 305x2, 370x1, 430x5, 405x5, 405x3+2
    Since I was SO damn forward last workout, I decided to stop trying to anticipate the bounce and just let it happen. And it happened. The 430 went up nice and smooth, none of the reps were a grind at all. I was so tempted to go for 430x5x3, but I committed to stop being a stupid ego maniac and accept that, even if it's partially for reasons beyond my control, my LP 3x5 days are done in the squat. So I backed off ~5% and did an easy 405x5. Rested, went in for the second set and got cocky. Dammit, why do I do this? I wasn't respecting the weight and didn't stay tight in the hole. Rep #4 got way out in front, and I actually went up on my tip-toes. I tried to save it by taking a step forward with each foot, and succeeded; except that step forward took me right underneath the J-hooks (they're not actually J-hooks on this rack, but the name is escaping me). So while I drove up and was about to make the lift, the bar was trapped under the hooks and I couldn't lock it out. Motherfucker. So I had to go back down, set the bar on the pins, unload it, lift it back up to the hooks, re-load it, then finish the last two reps. I didn't rest at all because I was so mad at myself for screwing up like that that I didn't deserve the rest. So we're calling that 405x3+2.

Bench Press
    45x5, 135x5, 205x3, 265x2, 307.5x5x3
    Strong. Stronger than 305x5x3 last Friday, probably because I got adequate rest between sets.

Power Cleans
    135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 195x3, 215x3, 225x3
    Getting back in the PC Groove.

Other than my idiotic disrespect of 405, today went really well. I felt like crap after Tuesday's lift and this really made me feel a whole lot better. I'm not sure if it was just a good day, or if knowing I only had to do one set at 430, but it felt smooth and easy. We'll see how progress keeps up with this one top set of 5 pushing 5lb PRs twice every week, and then 2 back-off sets of 5 at 90-95%, depending how easy/hard the top set of 5 was.

starting strength coach development program
    At least you didn't have a wardrobe malfunction. I was lucky on Tuesday that there was no one in front of me while I was overhead pressing.