starting strength gym
Page 323 of 443 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325333373423 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,230 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    the wraps themselves dug into my wrist and skin and actually hurt enough to be distracting by the 505 set. But I imagine I'll adapt and get used to this after 3-4 workouts using them.
    Yeah, I had that, too - my hands hurt and got marked for the first few workouts, but then it went away.

Having my elbows down (even though they're not TOO far down) still feels less secure, like the bar is more likely to roll up my back if I lean over, so I think it's making me slightly more upright.
    And I also had that, especially when I noticed I could grip the bar so much narrower with thumbs-around and thought that would be better because of more upper-back tightness. But I found that taking a slightly wider grip helped. Maybe the larger the lifter, the wider the grip?

Jesse Norris narrow grip
    Garrett Blevins moderate grip
    Dennis Cornelius, wide grip
    Big Ray, max grip

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    And I also had that, especially when I noticed I could grip the bar so much narrower with thumbs-around and thought that would be better because of more upper-back tightness. But I found that taking a slightly wider grip helped. Maybe the larger the lifter, the wider the grip?
    I've played with different grip widths, but currently take nearly as a wide a grip as the monster light racks allow.

Tried pressing before squatting today. I like squatting first because it just "feels" like the most legit lift + is definitely the hardest for me so getting it of the way while I'm still full of energy is good. But I thought I would try pressing first to see if it was better before my elbows and brachialis get battered. On the one hand, that part worked - I felt some twinginess, but reduced compared to pressing after squatting. On the other, I usually warm up my scar-tissued stiff ankles for 5-10 minutes before squatting and I didn't feel like taking off my shoes after pressing to do that. I could, easily, but I just didn't. And I do think that helps me get ready to squat, given my extensive ankle injury history (thanks, High School Basketball! And Obama). Might need to be more diligent about that if I do this press first regularly.

Second: back tweak is present but very far from the worst I've had. I had to reduce my planned weights significantly in the squat, but I could still squat. It doesn't feel (even now, 6 hours later) like I made it any worse so we'll see tomorrow. If it throws off my plan by one week, that won't be the end of the world. It was already a short meet prep but I'll live. If I have to squat light for 2-3 weeks, I don't know if I'll have enough time to work up to a 280kg third attempt. So fingers crossed. For now, I'm glad this was a minor tweak, as my back tweaks usually knock me out of heavy squats and pulls for 6-12 weeks.

Press - belt, rogue wraps
    175x5, 200x5 @7, 225x2 @8, 237.5x1 @8.75, 247.5x1 @9.5, 205x5 @7
    Notes: I could feel my back tweak on the initial hip reach, and my back was resisting my attempts to go into the baby/minuscule second layback that I'm developing, so apparently it's over-extension sensitive. Nonetheless, I finished all planned sets and reps for the day. 247 was a little harder than planned, but anticipating some pain in the reach may be responsible for that. The 200 and 205 sets were solid. Elbows twinged a little but not too bad.

Press Medley on IG

Squat - belt, SBDs
    135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 375x5x3 @easy
    Notes: After feeling 225, I put belt on for 315. I don't usually put it on till at least 365 (except on light days), but could feel I needed the support today. It helped but I could still feel it so reduced my planned jump (was going to go to 405). Felt it even more at 375 but not too much more, so stopped there and did 3 sets. Hoping I can resume plan by Friday, or next Monday at the latest. Today's plan was 405x5, 455x5, 505x2, 535x1, 455x5.

Anterior wrist skin was still raw from Friday's first use of wraps so had to cover it with tape to wrap today. I still want to lift my elbows more than I "should" for the grip I'm trying to take. I didn't really get it down (pun intended) till the last reps of the third set of 375.

375x5 third set on IG

Chins
    Notes: Wanted to do cleans but skipped on account of back.

(thanks, High School Basketball! And Obama).

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    A perfect metaphor.

Back feels slightly worse than before yesterday's squats so I'm going to hold off squats completely until it's better. Since this is a lesser tweak than what I'm used to, I'm hoping that'll be no later than this coming Monday but who knows. Heavy DLs are shelved too. Fuck.

Bench Press
    135x8, 185x5, 225x5, 265x5, 295x5x2 @6
    Notes: Fast, easy. Elbow pain was minor till 295, then flared up for the first rep of both 295 sets. Reps 2-5 weren't bad.

295x5 bench press on IG

Deadlift
    135x5x8
    Notes: Though I could feel the spot on my back, these didn't hurt or feel aggravating the same way squats did so did a bunch to get some blood flow. Maybe I'll be able to start DLing sooner than the squat.

EZ Bar Curlzzzz
    Empty x 15 x 10

I've played with different grip widths, but currently take nearly as a wide a grip as the monster light racks allow.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hope you heal up soon - I'd love to see you squat 600!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hope you heal up soon - I'd love to see you squat 600!
    Thanks Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Mirin?

starting strength coach development program
    Mirin?
    Mirin.