starting strength gym
Page 339 of 443 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389439 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    The strength cycle has caught some fire lately, I must say.
    Seems like a few of the CF coaches are starting some LP's as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Seems like a few of the CF coaches are starting some LP's as well
    Yup, actually have a couple doing it with some allowances for CF there, with the up-front acknowledgement that it might blunt the length of the LP a little, but also OK with me because they're not regular Joes but actually have built up a fairly solid work capacity. So if the metcons are limited in frequency and shorter ones, they'll still gain some solid strength.

Thank you sir. Glad one person there appreciated it, anyway. The strength cycle has caught some fire lately, I must say. It's always sold out, but usually did so mostly because of non-members who wanted to come get SS Coaching. Lately more members are getting interested. A lot is probably Kenny's influence, or maybe they're realizing, hmmmm, this guy can press 75 lbs more than I can clean and jerk, maybe I need to get stronger???
    I thought that you were the guy who walked around with a whistle and clipboard? You lift too?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    I thought that you were the guy who walked around with a whistle and clipboard? You lift too?
    I lift the whistle to my mouth. For time.

I lift the whistle to my mouth. For time.
    I mean, I hear it's a really nahce whistle. Made from material from a dwarf star so only Wolf can lift it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I mean, I hear it's a really nahce whistle. Made from material from a dwarf star so only Wolf can lift it.
    Real, real nahce.

Super light easy day, two days of rest, then a new bench PR attempt Monday. Excited about it already!

Press - dead stop, strict
    85x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5x3

CGBP
    135x5, 225x5, 275x5x3

Ring Rows
    BWx8x4
    BWx10x2

Deadlift
    185x3, 225x3, 265x3, 300x3, 335x3
    Notes: Some of the CF coaches were doing their first DL workout on their new strength plan so I got in with them just to see how it felt. While I can't say it felt fine, it felt way, WAY better than the last time I tried to pull any DLs, which was probably February. Way better. So there's some healing happening, albeit slow. Don't feel like I should start training the lift yet but it was a good sign.

Notes: Some of the CF coaches were doing their first DL workout on their new strength plan so I got in with them just to see how it felt. While I can't say it felt fine, it felt way, WAY better than the last time I tried to pull any DLs, which was probably February. Way better. So there's some healing happening, albeit slow. Don't feel like I should start training the lift yet but it was a good sign.
    Hope it gets better soon man, im sure its a bummer to have to sit out a meet but there will be plenty more. Backs suck, mine does too. Part of the lifestyle I guess

One more strong day of PRs to wrap things up. I'm so tempted to keep this gainz train going, and I don't feel hurt or beat up per se, probably due to lack of any squats and DLs for so long. But this is, hands down, THE longest uninjured, uninterrupted run of training I've had since my LP. It's a bummer it's only been for my upper body lifts, but I haven't had an injury or setback since I started lifting again after my surgery. Started the PVC pipe press rehab protocol 10 months ago and have been straight through ever since. Even though I was rehabing for a while so wasn't really "training" upper body again till late August or so, that's still 7 straight months. I never have that. So I'm gonna be proactively cautious and wrap it here.

I sometimes feel like a douchebag because I do say things like "if only I could train for a year uninterrupted, man, I'd be strong as fuck." And usually it's douchebags who are not and would not actually be strong, who say things like that. This kind of vindicates me somewhat. I may still be a douchebag, but not because of saying stuff like that.

Bench Press - belt
    415x1, 445x1, 465x1 @9.9 - PR
    405x5 @ 9.5 - PR
    Notes: After doing 445 with a bit of gas in the tank, without much of a taper, a few weeks ago, I thought I'd have a good shot at 465 with more of a taper. So I tapered more, and got it. Boom. Before my shoulder injury, I think the most I could have done was 435-445 (hadn't worked up a new 1RM in 2 years before that, but had increased my 2, 3 and 5 RMs in the meantime).
    I did 402 with no labrum 2 days before surgery, after only being able to bench for 3 weeks after nearly 5 months of pain due to the labral tear. So for some perspective, this probably isn't really THAT big of a jump from what I could have done. But it still feels real sweet to do it, especially less than a year after surgery.

Press - belt+wraps
    230x5x5 @8ish - PR
    185x15 @9.5 -PR
    Notes: Volume presses moved faster than expected. I've wanted to do 185x15 for a long time, for some inexplicable reason - 15 reps is no man's land between 10 and 20 which are more common milestones. I was pretty close before injury (I think my best was 185x12 IIRC), but thought with the gainz of the last 7 months, might have it. My quads cramped like crazy and my tris were screaming but I got it.

I know I'm gonna be sore and fatigued from this for a while. I will continue to train upper body on Mon/Wed/Fri, but reduce intensity and not push for serious PRs. Hopefully I can squat and DL again soon.

Depending when I end up scheduling my hernia repair and wisdom tooth extraction, maybe I'll be able to hit a squat and/or DL PR beforehand. Not likely, but that'd be cool. If nothing else, my knees are fresh.

Chins
    BWx6x7 = 42. Solid.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-27-2017 at 08:14 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    465x1 @9.9 - PR
    Boom! Nice work Wolf