Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Schweeet.

Josh Wells is offline Starting Strength Coach
    big-O

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Nice job Wolf. Now if we can get you power clean on an equal playing field as your squat. Hell of a job on your squat.

Those are some admirable knee socks. I'm glad I'm not the only one with knee-travel nemeses.

That was some damn strong squatting, Wolf.

+1

Just didn't have the squat mojo today. Cara was working out with me and she wanted to blame the not-quite-hard enough flooring. The flooring isn't optimal, but my failure to hit my reps today was because I was off, not the floor. And now, for the rest of the story...

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 405x1, 445x3, 405x5x2
    I didn't fail any reps at 445 (which is a PR, I've never squatted 445 for any reps till today), but I didn't do my planned 5. I was so forward on all three reps; this both made them a struggle to get out of the bottom and through the middle, as well as forced me to fidget an extra couple seconds at the top in between each rep to get weight back to mid-foot. Those two factors just sapped me. I should have gone down and at least attempted #4, but I had my pussy pants on today and didn't do it. I backed off almost a full 10% to 405 for the next two sets, which were pretty smooth and easy. I feel like this forward thing has gotten into my head, kind of like Jordan's squats have been off lately too. You just temporarily lose the ability to do something that you know how to do and that you did naturally for a long time. I'm sure it'll come back, and if it doesn't I'll drill in back in with whatever work is necessary. The nice thing about getting STRONGER is that even with being forward, 445x3 still happened.

Bench
    45x5, 135x5, 205x3, 265x2, 312.5x5x3
    Rep 5 in both sets 2 and 3 were somewhat slow and grindy, but they happened. Next time I bench, Friday, will be going for 315x5x3. This will be a big accomplishment for me.

Rack Pulls
    235x4, 345x2, 445x1, 535x5
    These went well. Pulls felt strong, back solid. I have these set up about an inch and a half or two below my kneecap, and do my Haltings to about two-three inches above my kneecap, so should be getting good overall coverage.
    I'm using chalk and a mixed grip because I'm still stubbornly fighting using straps, but have no grip issues whatsoever yet. If that ever happens, I'll begrudgingly use straps but I'll wait till I have to.

Overall, between my pressing (bench and OH) getting slow, hard, and grindy; my squat progress slowing and even the slower LP not completely working linearly on a Mon/Fri schedule; and the slightly sub-optimal lifting conditions, I will gut this week out and switch to Intermediate/TM programming next week. Having a 315x5x3 bench press in my pocket, and a 445x5 squat (which I WILL FUCKING GET on Friday), on linear is progress I'm happy with. I may not have made it the furthest ever on LP, but I gave it a damn good shake.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-22-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Hmmm. Good work. Nice PR's. Sounds like the shit is getting real though. Crush 445 and then see how you feel. 315x5x3 on the bench is schaweet!

Wolf, I have struggled with the forward lean, lack of chest up, shitty bar path in my training. Matt seems to have said the right thing to help.

I know you have heard all of this, I know you know all of this, I know that you understand all of this. But I throw this out to you and hope it helps, my friend.

The ONLY thing I think about any more is this: when it gets deeper and heavier, get tighter. For me, when I get it back out of the rack, I look at my feet, 35 degrees, check, find my focus point, check, get ridiculously tight without shrugging or doing anything goofy to change my body/bar position, check, BLANK MIND, tighter, Tighter, TIGHTER, and it's over. I'm at the top. Next reps starts with the focus point, tight, tighter, Tighter, TIGHTER, and it's over. For me, it's all about back angle with my beautiful long legs, 6'3" length body of not-so-awesomeness.

The slightest change in your back angle, the heavier it gets. TIGHTER.

And by the way, maybe you are just at a little sticking point. Plain and simple. It happens to big, strong, good looking, nice guys too, you know.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement here on my last workout, even though I didn't get all 5 reps as planned. Mac, I read your advice and really appreciate you taking the time out to write it. I'm in a bit of a rush now so just gonna log my training today, then will get back to what you wrote later tonight. I really liked it.

Squats - recovery
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5
    Was feeling a bit tired in the legs and my left hip was tweaking a bit, so only took it up to 275. It was easy, I felt this was enough to accomplish today's goals, which were simply: Squat light to facilitate some recovery, and practice staying tight as a virgin's glory hole the entire time so as to not get forward.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 125x3, 160x2, 192.5x5x3
    This was my last LP Press workout. I could probably squeeze a tiny bit more out of LP here (since I re-set this the most), but my bench and squat are ready to move to weekly, so I'm just gonna move the press along with them. Otherwise training becomes too hard to organize and manage. That's fine. Would've been nice to hit 200 here, but it's ok.

Weighted Chins
    BW + 25lbs x5x3. Then a set of pulldowns, 160x10.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-24-2012 at 05:39 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Man that 440x5 was sweet. You'll get that 445. I wrote something on my whiteboard in my garage a few weeks ago "Stop thinking, just squat" Along the lines of what Mac is saying, maybe it can help!

And the website is nice. Like that wolf with the barbell hahah.