Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Good to hear
    Thanks Ry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Anything over 10 lbs, like, say, your arm? Or your hair?
    Or my hair wrapped around my arm. As one does.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    I had one side done as a kid and then the other done in my early 30's.

It was a outpatient surgery and I rested maybe one more full day after. I then started walking everyday and then swimming the following week. I didn't lift back then, but I did start doing pushups and chin ups after maybe a month at the most. Wound up being stronger than before the surgery by the 12 week mark when it was ok to lift 25lbs or whatever the original recommendation was.

You'll probably be PRing everything by 12 weeks.
    Everyone I spoke to who had hernia repairs - 6 or 7 people, as I recall - all told me how easy it was, no big deal, back on your feet in a day or two even if no lifting for a few weeks. Then a steady ramp-up.

Well, apparently shit's quite different when you a) get three repaired at once and b) they're all open, not laparoscopic. This was significantly, muchos, yuuuugely worse than I imagined. All things considered, probably harder than my shoulder surgery last year, which is generally considered a much bigger deal (complete circumferential labrum repair with 7 anchors + acromioplasty).
    Had I known, I still would have done it, I just would have been more mentally prepared.

One of my best friends is a surgeon, and tells me that what I have is normal for a triple open repair, so I'm not worried. I just wasn't mentally prepared for it, didn't plan to need 2 weeks off work (and the financial implications for someone who doesn't draw a salary), and don't think I'll be PRing anything 12 weeks out. But I'd be very glad to be wrong on that last point.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

Well, apparently shit's quite different when you a) get three repaired at once and b) they're all open, not laparoscopic. This was significantly, muchos, yuuuugely worse than I imagined. All things considered, probably harder than my shoulder surgery last year, which is generally considered a much bigger deal (complete circumferential labrum repair with 7 anchors + acromioplasty).
    Had I known, I still would have done it, I just would have been more mentally prepared.
    Yeah I can't imagine getting hit with a "hey guess what we're gonna do this the old fashioned way" THE DAY of surgery. Expectations....not managed

Walked nearly 4 miles yesterday. Previous best was a bit under 2. PR CITY, BITCHES.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Walked nearly 4 miles yesterday. Previous best was a bit under 2. PR CITY, BITCHES.
    I am imagining something like this:

full.jpg

Friday did 45x10x3 bench and seated incline DB curls 10x10x4. Basically super light, super easy stuff that I don't need to do much abdominal bracing for due to the bench support. Only thing that caused an issue was my natural inclination to arch on the bench, so had to stop that right away.

Today I did 45x10, 55x10, 65x10x2 on the bench and 15x10x4 DB curls. Still super easy, just taking it slow. The open surgery, especially a triple, is a whole different animal and though I've been independently performing all ADLs for about 2 weeks now, I'm still very far from back to normal and have a ways to go.

Seeing you on Instagram with those tiny weights made me feel sad. Keep going, you're an inspiration! Btw. I loved your talk at the SSCA conference. Your style is very engaging.

This is like the part in The Dark Knight Rises where Batman is rehabing to climb out of the pit.

Quote Originally Posted by unruhschuh View Post
    Seeing you on Instagram with those tiny weights made me feel sad. Keep going, you're an inspiration! Btw. I loved your talk at the SSCA conference. Your style is very engaging.
    Don't be too sad. While not training or even lifting anything remotely heavy and basically being completely sedentary for nearly 6 weeks takes a toll, no doubt I could still bench a single in the mid to upper 300's RIGHT NOW, if my life depended on it. The problem is the potential consequences of that, which I am happy not to deal with. So I'll be taking my time to ramp back up in a way that isn't going to blow out my still healing repairs.

And thank you. Glad you enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    This is like the part in The Dark Knight Rises where Batman is rehabing to climb out of the pit.
    Nominee for best 2017 post in my log.

CRUSHED IT TODAY, BROSEPHI!

No Arch Bench Press
    45x12, 65x12, 75x12x2

Seated Incline DB Curls
    20x10x3

Post workout pump selfie:

starting strength coach development program
    Linear progressing the shit out of this!

Bench Press
    45x12, 65x12, 85x12, 15

Seated Incline DB Curls
    20x12x3