• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good-looking? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    Good-looking? Really?
    I think so.

On both accounts.

Hmmm. Good work. Nice PR's. Sounds like the shit is getting real though. Crush 445 and then see how you feel. 315x5x3 on the bench is schaweet!
    To respond with a sentence I'd never say in real life: Shit's getting hella real, bro! Grinding out what is essentially a 5RM twice/week is just getting to be freakin hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Wolf, I have struggled with the forward lean, lack of chest up, shitty bar path in my training. Matt seems to have said the right thing to help.

I know you have heard all of this, I know you know all of this, I know that you understand all of this. But I throw this out to you and hope it helps, my friend.

The ONLY thing I think about any more is this: when it gets deeper and heavier, get tighter. For me, when I get it back out of the rack, I look at my feet, 35 degrees, check, find my focus point, check, get ridiculously tight without shrugging or doing anything goofy to change my body/bar position, check, BLANK MIND, tighter, Tighter, TIGHTER, and it's over. I'm at the top. Next reps starts with the focus point, tight, tighter, Tighter, TIGHTER, and it's over. For me, it's all about back angle with my beautiful long legs, 6'3" length body of not-so-awesomeness.

The slightest change in your back angle, the heavier it gets. TIGHTER.

And by the way, maybe you are just at a little sticking point. Plain and simple. It happens to big, strong, good looking, nice guys too, you know.
    Once again Mac, thanks for writing this out. Yes, I've heard it, know it, etc... But when it comes to my own lifting, that doesn't matter. I need someone to tell me, in order to execute it better. It would be best if I had a coach there to yell it at me as I lift, but since I don't, this is the next best thing. I am going to get tight, then TIGHTER, and stay tight as fuck, and nail 445x5 tomorrow. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    Man that 440x5 was sweet. You'll get that 445. I wrote something on my whiteboard in my garage a few weeks ago "Stop thinking, just squat" Along the lines of what Mac is saying, maybe it can help!

And the website is nice. Like that wolf with the barbell hahah.
    The wolf with the barbell is pretty cool, isn't it? I'm kind of obsessed with my logo right now.

Good-looking? Really?
    I think so.

On both accounts.
    Mac has a soft spot for us yarmulke wielding strong people.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

Mac has a soft spot for us yarmulke wielding strong people.
    Guilty as charged.

Guilty as charged.
    And we were writing on each other's logs at the same time...

Well kids, it was a good run but LP is officially over. I didn't make 445x5 today. Again. I was sure I was gonna get it, but it defeated me. It's been a great run, highlighting the power of steady consistent work and eating, and I've gotten way stronger on it than I ever expected. It's time to start Texas.

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 405x1, 445x4, 405x5, 405x3
    The fourth rep at 445 just took all the gas right out of me. I'm glad I got one more than Monday, but obviously disappointed I didn't get 5. 405 afterwards wasn't even easy because the 445 was so hard. After 3 reps on the 3rd set, I knew that was it for squatting for the day.

Mac, I kept the "TIGHT" thought in my head all throughout these. I know I didn't get five, but I'm pretty sure I got #4 thanks to focusing on your pro-tip.

Bench
    45x5, 135x5, 205x3, 265x2, 315x5x3
    Shocking how well this went, especially after how spent I was from squatting, I expected a grind. A fairly new trainer at the club is a nephew or cousin of Terrell Suggs, and he also played college football. Nice guy, smart and articulate. He gave me hand-offs for all three sets, which was cool. We've spoken a few times and he has some good stories.

Power Cleans
    135x3, 165x3

My right wrist was not liking these at all, I was running overtime and probably would have been late to my next client's training session, and my back felt wonky off the floor - so I stopped after the 2nd set. If I'm feeling up to it, I might do these tomorrow: 135, 165, 190, 215, 225, 235 - all for triples.

Wolf,

Sorry to see the end of your LP, congrats on a great run. Are you planning on just transitioning your squat to the TM? It seems your presses are still progressing nicely on the LP.

JP

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

LP up to 445x4 is a damn good run...if I can keep mine going to 350 I'd be thrilled. Congrats on great progress, Wolf!

Look forward to seeing what you can do on TM. Hell, maybe I'll just steal the template when I gas out...

Wolf, I have struggled with the forward lean, lack of chest up, shitty bar path in my training. Matt seems to have said the right thing to help.

I know you have heard all of this, I know you know all of this, I know that you understand all of this. But I throw this out to you and hope it helps, my friend.

The ONLY thing I think about any more is this: when it gets deeper and heavier, get tighter. For me, when I get it back out of the rack, I look at my feet, 35 degrees, check, find my focus point, check, get ridiculously tight without shrugging or doing anything goofy to change my body/bar position, check, BLANK MIND, tighter, Tighter, TIGHTER, and it's over. I'm at the top. Next reps starts with the focus point, tight, tighter, Tighter, TIGHTER, and it's over. For me, it's all about back angle with my beautiful long legs, 6'3" length body of not-so-awesomeness.

The slightest change in your back angle, the heavier it gets. TIGHTER.

And by the way, maybe you are just at a little sticking point. Plain and simple. It happens to big, strong, good looking, nice guys too, you know.
    Stealing this for myself since I have forever and always struggled with a forward bar path with my squats.

starting strength coach development program
    FYI, Jeremy usually shuts people down when they hit the end of the LP and fail a set. I think it's a good idea. Those epic struggles to failure on a heavy squat is pretty much the end of your squatting for the day anyway.

Nice job running this out. I look forward to following your TM.
    What's your starting 5x5?
    450x5 for your first ID?